Author Topic: Inventions  (Read 450999 times)

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
Re: Inventions
« Reply #30 on: Nov 05, 2005, 03:05 PM »
i wasnt trying to belittle his invention at all. was just pointing out it was available for those who might like it. im all about making things myself and saving money  ;)

Ice_Hole

« Reply #31 on: Nov 05, 2005, 06:19 PM »
Mac and billditrite -  I did not take your comments to be negative at all.  I really do appreciate the feedback.

trapperdirk

« Reply #32 on: Nov 05, 2005, 06:30 PM »
Well I think both these auger holders are ingenious inventions and I would like to have either one but just don't have the bucks to spare but slick they are . ;) Sure would save my back and arms when the ice gets thick and I'm drilling for numerous people many holes .

TD

Offline NorthwoodsIce

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Nov 05, 2005, 10:35 PM »
Didn't mean to ruffle feathers, must have read the post the wrong way.  I will keep my stick on the ice from now on.
Welcome to the Northwoods! Grab a Leinenkugel's!

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
« Reply #34 on: Nov 05, 2005, 11:53 PM »
  I will keep my stick on the ice from now on.

i can see myself with one on my atv soon!!

Offline Haywood

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Nov 07, 2005, 08:08 AM »
Minnow bucket

I took an 18" piece of 5" diameter PVC, put a cap and weight on one end and a screw cap on the other end, drilled a bunch of 1/8th in holes on the top 1/2 and hooked a 3 foot rope to the top, that I tie off to the fish house.  You put your minnows in and drop it down a hole and it keeps them alive a lot longer than any other method I have used.  When you leave the lake, you simply pull it up and drop it into a 5 gallon bucket. 

Offline water walker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #36 on: Nov 07, 2005, 09:53 AM »
If I had one of them, I wouldn't have to put my drink down to drill my holes. :thumbsup:  I like it alot.
Genius has its limits, but stupidity has no end

Offline mnfishman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Nov 10, 2005, 08:52 AM »
Here are a couple of tips that I have.

Minnow storage:
Take a old pickle jar and punch a bunch of holes in the top.  Then put an eye bolt in the top.  When you auger your holes in the shanty go outside and auger one as close to one of the corner holes as you can.  Take a scrap piece of wood and tie on about 6-8' of light rope and also tie the other end on the pickle jar.  Drop the pickle jar down the hole outside and take a streached out coat hanger and hook the rope from the inside of the shanty.  When you are done fishing for the day pour your minnows into the pickle jar and drop the jar down the hole.  When you come back out to fish you reauger your holes in the shanty and hook the rope with your coat hanger.  No more worries about keeping your minnows alive at home and they are aclimated to the colder water on the lake as well.  When you decide to move your shanty just cut the rope and move.

Inexpensive lighting in a portable:
I own a Eskimo QuickFlip II that comes with the fold down bench.  I went to the local hardware store and bought myself two of those clear interior trailer lights that have the switch in them.  I mounted each light to the under side of my bench with some alum flat stock.  I sat on the bench and marked the spot so that the light would shine between my legs when I sat on the bench.  I then wired them with some 18ga speaker wire.  I bought some large battery clips and I attached them to the end of the wire.  I have enough wire so that I can connect the clips to my trucks battery or for early ice I haul out my battery from my lawn tractor.  The only bad thing is there isn't a lot of light overhead but there is a lot over the holes.  I may buy another light and just attach it to a hook so that I can hang it over head if I wanted to.  Most of the time when I am by myself there is enough light from one light to see everything that I need.  This also works great at night when I am augering the holes or setting up the portable in the dark.  I think I got less than $10 in the whole deal.

I would post a picture but my shanty is still put away for the year.

Offline stumper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Never settle for less
« Reply #38 on: Nov 16, 2005, 10:04 PM »
MNfisherman and MN_burbot, great ideas,feel free to start a thread for each of your inventions.That way they will get more exposure.Just click on "start new topic" in the inventions area. Welcome to the shanty!!

stump

Offline Rotney72

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Nov 26, 2005, 12:03 PM »
This Is A Good way to have your inventions seen ..and stolen...and im not talking about Iceshanty guys...anyone on the net can copy this and get it patented ,if you know what i mean...not to be a party pooper...i really do think these inventions are that good.

Offline stumper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Never settle for less
« Reply #40 on: Nov 27, 2005, 09:51 AM »
This Is A Good way to have your inventions seen ..and stolen...and im not talking about Iceshanty guys...anyone on the net can copy this and get it patented ,if you know what i mean...not to be a party pooper...i really do think these inventions are that good.

I know what yah mean ::)

Offline amazinmoose

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Flag UPPP!!
« Reply #41 on: Nov 29, 2005, 01:24 PM »
any thouths on ice cleats??  how to convert boots??  i was thinking screws.. but them would break..  maybe bolts with nuts..  sharpned??   -moose
flag up, tightlines; fish on....   -moose

Offline arctic1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #42 on: Nov 29, 2005, 06:09 PM »
we just use sheet meatal screws in the lugs of our boots. Cheap to replaceeasy to install. Wife don't much like it when you forget to take them off when i come in the house though.

Offline Bean

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #43 on: Nov 29, 2005, 07:23 PM »
any thouths on ice cleats??  how to convert boots??  i was thinking screws.. but them would break..  maybe bolts with nuts..  sharpned??   -moose

Below is a picture of RGfixit's boots. He put hex head screws in a few years ago. I put them in my sorels last year and they worked great. I used stainless steel hex heads that were (i think) 3/8" long.

Ken                                          

Offline Hard_H2O

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #44 on: Nov 30, 2005, 08:40 AM »
I ran a broomball team years ago. I work in a manufacturing plant and a lot of the guys had never played before. There were only a few of us with broomball shoes. One of the new guys was extremely maneuverable on the ice for someone who just started and didn't own the shoes. After the first game one of the guys on our team clued me in that Brad had screwed 10-32 socket head cap screws into the bottom of his boots. That explained the rooster tail he was throwing as he ran.

Offline Big_Buck_Hunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Pull it out and measure it.
« Reply #45 on: Dec 30, 2005, 02:58 PM »
Somebody in the Ontario CA area had this nifty invention to keep us from losing our ice fishing rods.  I might have to make a few.

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=29237.0
Life is just a bunch of BS between deer seasons.
Mama doesn't know the toys we keep...

Offline hollis

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #46 on: Jan 10, 2006, 05:14 PM »
Big Buck,..What I use is just a top from a 5 gal pail and a snap clip with a similar strong line attached.

Offline amazinmoose

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Flag UPPP!!
« Reply #47 on: Jan 10, 2006, 05:15 PM »
i feel like a fool. but here goes...   how does that cut ice???  -moose
flag up, tightlines; fish on....   -moose

Offline pontiac787

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #48 on: Jan 10, 2006, 06:57 PM »
i feel like a fool. but here goes...   how does that cut ice???  -moose

It looks like that is the power head.  You would attach an auger blade to it as you would with a gas auger.

Offline pimpmypike

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #49 on: Jan 10, 2006, 07:53 PM »
looks like he used an auto steering wheel for handles.wow what an invention!hats off to adipose.I would guestimate that the auger slides onto that exposed shaft that apears to be driven by the belt/pulley system up above.wow

Offline red_eyes

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FLAGG!!!!!!!
« Reply #50 on: Jan 17, 2006, 04:19 PM »
hand warmer/stove I read in one of my fishing books years ago, seems like a good idear. Take a coffee can, put a roll of tp in it and fill 1/2 way with alcohol, let it soak then light the tp, to put it out put a pie pan or something similar over it.
Pain is temporary, trophies last forever

Offline papare

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #51 on: Jan 18, 2006, 01:52 PM »
does anyone have minnow trap plans? the link for the boy scout soda bottle trap is no good.

Offline perchpunk22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #52 on: Feb 19, 2006, 01:40 PM »
hey stumper i was looking at the shanty that you made... that is the coolest thing, it could really seel well.  i was wondering, i am trying to make my own portable for myself and i wanted to know what kind of material you used and where i could find some. thanks.
-perchpunk-
Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land.  It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn.  ~Chuck Clark

Offline perchpunk22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #53 on: Feb 19, 2006, 03:45 PM »
oops i meant sell*
Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land.  It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn.  ~Chuck Clark

Offline cSpike

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #54 on: Mar 02, 2006, 12:05 PM »
OK here is a time saver. I transport my auger in two pieces. It sucked trying to put it together on cold days. So I now use a bolt longer than the orignal. I drill a clearance hole thru the nut so the bolt slides thru easy. I then wrap tape on the nut so the nut doesn't fall out of the recess where it fits (like a press fit). Once the bolt is thru the shafts and the nut I use a hitch pin to keep it from falling out (drill a hole thru the bolt at 90 degrees to its axis size for a small hitch pin). You can assemble and disassmble an auger in seconds. If you need a pic I'll take one and post.

Not sure its an invention but it sure beats screwing the auger together. I also made a nice stand for the powerhead out of wood. Two 2X6 laid side by side. Screw a third 2X6 in the middle of the other two on top of them. (like a pyramid) In the top 2x6 I drill a hole large enough to accept the augers powerhead shaft. Two screw eyes below the handles and a couple of bungies and walla. The power head stays verticle (which in my case helps with easy starting) nice way to transport without leaking or spilling fuel.
Spike

had to fix some spelling mistakes
Traps? Who needs traps? I have a jig rod and a Vexilar!
gallery

Offline Thestanimal

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Learn How to Work Kid"
« Reply #55 on: Mar 08, 2006, 11:30 AM »
CAPT Spike,

You have a photo of the stand you made?
"Hope is the last thing a person does before they are defeated"  -Henry Rollins

Offline cSpike

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #56 on: Mar 12, 2006, 09:51 AM »
CAPT Spike,

You have a photo of the stand you made?

OK here they are, sorry for the delay.
Note: stand is now made from (1) 2X10 not (2) 2X6's layed side by side. I needed to remake due to fuel contamination on the wood and didn't have 2X6's long enough. So I made from a single 2X10. A little more tippy but does the job.

Spike
Traps? Who needs traps? I have a jig rod and a Vexilar!
gallery

Offline Thestanimal

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Learn How to Work Kid"
« Reply #57 on: Mar 13, 2006, 11:11 AM »
Thanks for the visual
"Hope is the last thing a person does before they are defeated"  -Henry Rollins

Offline yoopermjm

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #58 on: May 01, 2006, 04:26 PM »
I made a siren tip-up with my son for the science fair.  Bought a big switch and a siren at Radio Shack, mounted it on the end of the tip up by the flag with a bent piece of aluminum and took an old broken smoke alarm apart for the piece of plastic that holds a 9 volt battery.  When the flag goes up it triggers the switch and she screams like a banshee.  Only problem is that the siren I got is almost TOO loud!   No more missing the flag while in the shack however. :)

Offline Hollywood703

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #59 on: Dec 11, 2006, 02:28 PM »
i use old smoke detectors, i take out the smoke sensor, and just use the flag as the circuit connector.......cheap. ......and already pre-wired for the most part

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.