Author Topic: --- SLED MODS ---  (Read 341867 times)

Offline Garnet

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Keep the lines tight and the flags high.
Re: --- SLED MODS ---
« Reply #60 on: Dec 14, 2011, 08:42 PM »
Not as extravagant as some of the others and still need to customize the rod holder in the back and attach them, but i think it looks good for a Jet Sled Jr.

Whole thing:

Front View:

Offline mags459

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #61 on: Dec 18, 2011, 10:23 AM »
I have never post pics before so i hope this works, thanks to all on the board, great ideas posted everywhere.

From the Seat

with the Nils master

side view

side view
Shane

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yakity yak yak, yakity yak yak
« Reply #62 on: Dec 25, 2011, 06:44 PM »
I've sprayed silicon onto mine and it does help, but it doesn't last long.  Especially if you hit gravel or rocks.  Ive thought about smoothing mine out with a heat gun to take out some of the scratches, but its never been really high on my priority list.  I do that to my kayak every year to cut down on the drag. 
For the sled, I just can't see it being worth the time.
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
. .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Offline buckzone101

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • T.Warrington Outdoors
« Reply #63 on: Dec 28, 2011, 07:52 PM »
anyone got a custom auger mount for a frabil or like style flip up prtable?
INSTAGRAM@ twarringtonoutdoors

Offline dutch 1

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • There's no fish in this lake.
« Reply #64 on: Dec 29, 2011, 06:35 PM »
I've been messing around a little,my budget doesn't let me order a new tow bar for my clam voyager,but I think this might work.Any and all criticizing will be taken into consideration on how to make it better.

I already put a pair of skis on it and have an old motorcycle cover for towing(kind of tight) but it might work also...
Any day I get to play with my auger is a good day!

Offline buckzone101

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • T.Warrington Outdoors
« Reply #65 on: Dec 29, 2011, 07:30 PM »
I've been messing around a little,my budget doesn't let me order a new tow bar for my clam voyager,but I think this might work.Any and all criticizing will be taken into consideration on how to make it better.
(Image removed from quote.)
I already put a pair of skis on it and have an old motorcycle cover for towing(kind of tight) but it might work also...

i would have got some electriclal conduit and bent it like a tow bar and made a few brackets or got something that i could have bolted the conduit to, the threaded rod i wouldnt trust its a good start but its just going to flex and that handle might be a little rough on your hands and i wouldnt like not being able to fold that handle up and out of the way. just my opinion but looks like a good start.

Offline dutch 1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #66 on: Dec 29, 2011, 07:44 PM »
Thanks Buckmark!I was thinking of that idea also,but I'm heading north and the sleds will be doin the work this time.I just want something that will not break mid-trip.I'm pretty sure we'll be putting on miles so I really don't want to go too light of metal anyhow.This will be taken off when we return(back to pullin by hand)  :-\

Offline buckzone101

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • T.Warrington Outdoors
« Reply #67 on: Dec 29, 2011, 08:09 PM »
Yeah Ik how it is to get something thrown together in a rush.

Offline stevek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • STKA (MHF)
« Reply #68 on: Dec 29, 2011, 09:07 PM »
I would just use three slots of the bar. Double nut the rods in the outer two and put an "I" bolt in the center. The snowmobile should have a pin hitch on it that can go through the "I" bolt and pivot.

Offline dutch 1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #69 on: Dec 30, 2011, 06:14 PM »
I said the heck with the other setup.I went ahead with a different approach,used a couple brackets from the garage and went with 3/4 inch conduit.Easier to fold away and not finished yet...

Just have to figure out how to make a hanger with a closed end for the machine.Thanks for the help guys!!

Offline buckzone101

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • T.Warrington Outdoors
« Reply #70 on: Dec 30, 2011, 07:13 PM »
that looks much much better! do u have access to a welder? i would weld or make a plate to bolt onto the two that you would make a handle for or attatch a big carabiner then put a plate on the machine to hook the clip to

Offline buckzone101

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • T.Warrington Outdoors
« Reply #71 on: Dec 30, 2011, 11:13 PM »
i dont have any pics of my seat mod but i have the frabil recon which has no seat yhou just sit on a bucket, and my dad has the clam fish trap and i like that seat design, so i took some old shevling angle and made a seat bench, took a boat seat and welded a bracket to the swivel that hooks to the bench, has storage under it, here is some pics of other things, i want to get some batteries walmart sells for camping that i can hook to the bars and use like you guys do with the 12 volt ones but these run on 2 AAs, here is some pics..

rod holder

pipe that goes over my rope for use when towing behind a snowmobile or atv

tow handle made out of a broken snow shovel, un screw handle drill out the top piece and thread rope threw and loop over top.

Offline nodakbassmaster

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #72 on: Dec 31, 2011, 01:23 AM »
that's great! wish I woulda thought of it!

tow handle made out of a broken snow shovel, un screw handle drill out the top piece and thread rope threw and loop over top.
-Richard

Not enough ice or time... not necessarily in that order.

Offline P Meyette

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #73 on: Dec 31, 2011, 08:35 AM »
pinsh the ends together in a vise and then drill a hole threw both ends pinched together and put aclasp or big s hook threw and then attach end to your ride

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #74 on: Dec 31, 2011, 09:58 AM »
wow   look close and it shows you what side is supposed to be on the ice!!!    Look at the arrows!  lol

I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline Jaron Anderson

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #75 on: Dec 31, 2011, 12:14 PM »
I wanted to make a sled out of conduit but i have heard that the runners on the ice will freeze up with slush and water and create a huge glob of ice on them. Anyone had this problem?

Offline dutch 1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #76 on: Dec 31, 2011, 12:42 PM »
pinsh the ends together in a vise and then drill a hole threw both ends pinched together and put aclasp or big s hook threw and then attach end to your ride

I was thinking somewhere along that line myself,but I want to put some sort of spring in the middle for torque reasons.So the whole bracket doesn't come undone at the wrong time...

Offline dutch 1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #77 on: Dec 31, 2011, 12:47 PM »
wow   look close and it shows you what side is supposed to be on the ice!!!    Look at the arrows!  lol

LMAO I didn't even see those!

Offline stevek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • STKA (MHF)
« Reply #78 on: Dec 31, 2011, 12:48 PM »
I said the heck with the other setup.I went ahead with a different approach,used a couple brackets from the garage and went with 3/4 inch conduit.Easier to fold away and not finished yet...

Looks much more durable. Good job.

Offline buckzone101

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • T.Warrington Outdoors
« Reply #79 on: Dec 31, 2011, 03:08 PM »
that's great! wish I woulda thought of it!

that ones on my dads he extended the rope for better hight, i just put mine on and its a little low but whatever it works better than just the rope!!

Offline dutch 1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #80 on: Dec 31, 2011, 07:14 PM »
that looks much much better! do u have access to a welder? i would weld or make a plate to bolt onto the two that you would make a handle for or attatch a big carabiner then put a plate on the machine to hook the clip to

Heck of a job on your own fabrication skills!Definatly can use the pull cord idea.Unfortunatley these are not my machines,so no drillin.
Was thinkin about a semisquare w/open end attached to the ski with a shear pin of some sort.The other end flush with the tow bar.Still in the "build" mode, season is almost here...

Offline dutch 1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #81 on: Dec 31, 2011, 07:22 PM »
I wanted to make a sled out of conduit but i have heard that the runners on the ice will freeze up with slush and water and create a huge glob of ice on them. Anyone had this problem?
John ,I have friends that built them but it really depends on where you are at.In the midwest taller is better,as there is no surface coverage w/conduit=lots of dig
If you live in the snowbelt region you might want to stay away from that idea,my 2 pennies.

Offline buckzone101

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • T.Warrington Outdoors
« Reply #82 on: Dec 31, 2011, 09:32 PM »
thanks dutch i go to B.O.C.E.s in hudson falls for welding this is my last year then 2 years for machine shop! and i dont like to buy when i can build it better, iv been told by many people i have a very creative mind and can look a pile of junk and use it to my ability and make something amazing out of it! guess its a good talent to have haha

Offline copperjohn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #83 on: Jan 01, 2012, 10:14 PM »
Jaron,
I've been using the conduit runners on my Yukon all last year since we had the most snow that I'd seen in these parts in my 10 yrs living here. The runners cut through the snow like a horse drawn sleigh. With 14 inches of clearance, it always pulled easier than without, usually many times easier with the exception of pavement and dirt.  That's why I made them removable.  The Hi-fax runners work well then.  In regards to slush, they still work better than the sled alone, especially if your wax the entire pipe, top and bottom.  The real problem is when it cools off enough that the slush wants to freeze, but it's still worse on a sled with a 100 lbs of gear.  The hard ski wax helps.
Mine aren't the prettiest since I just bent them around a tree instead of finding a pipebender, but they're close enough that they track pretty well and they're worth the little effort to install and remove when needed.

Another method is to find a longer steel runner sled, the old fashioned flexible flyer style.  One of my buddies uses one tricked out with custom fabric sides with grommets and straps.  It works well in snow up to 6 in.  I bet a smaller flip-over could strap on nicely.

This year I bought an Eskimo Fatfish and a smaller otter sled.  I'd always wanted to build a Smitty sled so I did, with 8 in of clearance and wide enough to strap the otter, pwr auger and pop-up on either side.  But I haven't been able to try it out yet.  That's my experience, hope it helps.
Gravity's B**ch On Hard Water

Offline ASATMillerbluegill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Addict
« Reply #84 on: Jan 02, 2012, 07:31 PM »
I mounted Rubbermade Fast Track Rails on each side of my jet sled. They come in 4 ft lengths, and the sled is 4 ft. The rubbermade hooks install and remove with ease, so that I can remove for transport. It is awesome to have my auger and shelter out of the sled, so I have organized gear. Thanks for the ski idea smitty! I have to have the sled elevated so that the auger can ride on the side.

Buy a suit that floats you

Offline Goatskin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #85 on: Jan 02, 2012, 08:15 PM »
Hey ASAT great looking sled. How does it ride in the deep snow and slush?

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Addict
« Reply #86 on: Jan 03, 2012, 07:45 AM »
!st trip was this weekend and we didnt have any of those conditions to try it on.

Offline icebucketjohn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #87 on: Jan 03, 2012, 08:39 AM »
Kudo's ASAT.    Any thoughts of installing a longer pull rope?
Ice-Fisherman: We're all highly addicted, shivering, psychotic patients in the asylum of the frigid.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Addict
« Reply #88 on: Jan 03, 2012, 06:18 PM »
Yea, I thought the pull rope was a little short. Thanks guys!

Offline mote1977

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #89 on: Jan 03, 2012, 06:50 PM »
Hey ASAT, which fast track hooks did you use for the auger and shanty? That's a great idea by the way.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.