Author Topic: --- SLED MODS ---  (Read 341866 times)

Offline slammin slabs

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: --- SLED MODS ---
« Reply #30 on: Aug 15, 2011, 10:25 PM »
just curious as to what size pvc pipe you are using for your rod holders? i am tinkering around with a custom rod holder out of pvc and am having trouble the 1" is to small in diam and the 1.5" seems to big wish they made a 1.25" diam
I don't have a problem I have an obsession😏

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Aug 15, 2011, 11:34 PM »
Don't know about PAM, or silicone spray... I just give mine a shot of WD40 on the bottom and rub it in from time to time.  Works fine, and is free because I already have many cans of it around the house.

No, don't use WD40 on the skis.  Save it for the lures!  ;)

MD

surflizard

« Reply #32 on: Aug 16, 2011, 06:37 AM »
I bought a gallon jug of liquid snow plow wax. I use a small pump up pesticide sprayer to apply it on my otter sled and my portable base. I put it on the sleds before each of the 34,35 trips last season and I still have a 1/2 gallon left.  :thumbsup:

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #33 on: Aug 16, 2011, 07:48 AM »
No, don't use WD40 on the skis.  Save it for the lures!  ;)

MD
already    geeee!
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Aug 16, 2011, 11:02 PM »
already    geeee!
You know I'm not serious, Hazzy.

Offline Doc Hollywood

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #35 on: Sep 18, 2011, 12:08 AM »
Just starting my mods on my new glide lite. I am downgrading from a mod'd jet sled. Just started by mocking a power auger setup I saw somewhere. I flipped my auger to put the head in the front however. Will keep updating pics til the finished product. Top bucket locks the Auger in place and will be removed for normal seating, and added if I go mobile with the bucket as Im fairly tall.

Offline Getthenet

• IceShanty Rookie
  • It's all a part o' fishin, son.
« Reply #36 on: Nov 09, 2011, 07:41 PM »
Dang, dees some pretty nice sled mods, but Craig you should win an award or something.  I'm gettin my sled out right after I re-read the Mr. Buddy cooking mod thread ;D
Got any Maggots?

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yakity yak yak, yakity yak yak
« Reply #37 on: Nov 12, 2011, 09:21 AM »
I get my sleds out for deer season.  I drag my deer out of the woods with them.

The DEATH Sled:

These are the mods I like!

Good eats.
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
. .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #38 on: Nov 15, 2011, 06:36 AM »
are those roe deer?
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #39 on: Nov 15, 2011, 07:13 AM »
Whitetail deer. The younger ones are great for chops and steaks, and the older larger ones go into venison sausage, all of which go on to the barbecue grill while fishing.

Offline Getthenet

• IceShanty Rookie
  • It's all a part o' fishin, son.
« Reply #40 on: Nov 15, 2011, 11:21 AM »
Can't eat the antlers, and my 2010 F-150 thanks you.  I hate deer, new truck and two deer :-\
Got any Maggots?

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #41 on: Nov 15, 2011, 11:54 AM »
My pleasure.  At one point in time all I was eating was venison, no beef, and I went out to dinner with my then girlfriend and had a piece of prime rib.  It was disgusting.   I had gotten so used to venison that the beef was bitter and gamey.   Venison is not only good, but good for you.

Last year I got a bear.  Tastes a little like pork.  That was a nice mod to the jet sled too!

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #42 on: Nov 15, 2011, 01:51 PM »
Ok, I've posted my sled on the forum before, but not in this thread. Mine isn't exactly modified, it's all custom built. Anyway, I think it applies enough to this thread, so here goes:

It started as just a box, I originally had it on another type of base. Eventually I built skis onto it. It's approx. 24" x 36" if I remember right.

This is what it looks like inside- although it usually isn't packed like this. The tip-ups are usually in a duffle type bag and the hand auger is in another bag. The bait bucket is in it's own compartment and if it spills some water it's got drain holes.

So this is what makes it special, I have three 1/4" birch ply panels wrapped in aluminum channel that I strap to the top of the box for transport. When empty, the box with the panels probably weighs 30 lbs or so.

Open one of the top doors and there are embedded "T" nuts and big thumb screws there for the panels to attach to.

They attach like this:

And the top goes on again with some aluminum channel and there you have it- solo shelter:

The whole thing goes together with 4 cotter pins like these (this is the top):

Here is what the bottom pins look like and this shows the miles of aluminum angle and channel I used. I'm too embaressed to say how much money I spent on this sled.

All you do it pull the two bottom pins and the whole top pivots back onto the ice if you need to access the front compartment (which acts as the seat):

If you see it on the ice, come by and say hi!
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #43 on: Nov 15, 2011, 05:14 PM »
Very nice Drgee.  Obviously a lot of thought and effort have gone into it.
MD

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #44 on: Nov 15, 2011, 09:01 PM »
Very nice.  How heavy is it?

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #45 on: Nov 16, 2011, 06:58 AM »
Very nice.  How heavy is it?

I never weighed it, but my guess is right around 30 lbs with the wind break panels.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #46 on: Nov 16, 2011, 07:12 AM »
Do you pull it by hand or machine?  I like the design, its very well thought out.

Offline fishinaround

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Nov 16, 2011, 10:46 AM »
Here is what I am thinking of doing with my jet sled XL. I am sure we have all googled build your own shanty plans and have seen the tarp sided Oregon trail chuck wagon looking shanty. I think I can mod my jet sled with a similar premise. Due to extreme boredom at work I am drawing up plans now for this. I will post some pics when I break ground on this project. ...anyone tried this before?
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there would be a shortage of fishing poles.

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #48 on: Nov 16, 2011, 11:51 AM »
Do you pull it by hand or machine?  I like the design, its very well thought out.

Both. I originally designed it to be pulled by hand, but I do have a snowmobile. When I use it behind the sled, it's attached with a rigid tow bar. My sled is a somewhat of a high performance, liquid cooled trail machine which is prone to overheat in very cold or low snow conditions, so if there isn't much loose snow I hoof it. The 1x6's have a 1/4" aluminum flat stock on the bottom of the ski and it pulls like glass over glare ice or hard pack. I could put 150 lbs on it and pull it with my pinky finger. If there is a lot of snow, I have another sled that goes under it, which is made out of a 2'x3' piece of custom bent aluminum flat stock. I'll take pics of that sometime soon.

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #49 on: Nov 22, 2011, 12:37 PM »
Can't eat the antlers, and my 2010 F-150 thanks you.  I hate deer, new truck and two deer :-\

Your safe for another day.  Here is a three point mod for the Death Sled:

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #50 on: Nov 23, 2011, 07:25 AM »
Very nice! Best mod to a jet sled I have seen yet! Your Mastiffs seem to like it too.

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #51 on: Nov 23, 2011, 08:52 AM »
Thank you.  My boys love it when I make mods like these.  This was the pups first deer, and he was scared stiff of it.  It took me over half hour just to get him close to it. 

Now they are looking forward to having some snacks!

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #52 on: Nov 25, 2011, 09:52 AM »
This was the pups first deer, and he was scared stiff of it.  It took me over half hour just to get him close to it. 

That's funny! Now his face is buried in it! Great looking dogs. I have a Lab, but my cousin has a South African Borebol (might have spelled that wrong?), so I appreciate the Mastiffs. His is 170 lbs and such a baby it's incredible.

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #53 on: Nov 25, 2011, 03:47 PM »
After I took that photo, I went inside to clean up and the big Guy followed.  Suddenly he started to bark and run to the window.  I ran after him to find the UPS kid standing in my driveway with a box in his hand ghost white and trembling, with the pup growling and barking at him.  I looked at the pup and he had really gotten into the deer and was COVERED in blood.  Oh what must have been running through that kids mind after seeing a blood soaked dog come at him!   Hahahaha.  He did seem to drive away kind of quickly.

Offline Goatskin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #54 on: Nov 25, 2011, 04:15 PM »
Im loving the box tops for the Jet Sleds. Throw an auger rack and top and I would be willing to hand over a pretty penny if I didn't wan't to do it myself!

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #55 on: Nov 27, 2011, 09:21 AM »
  Oh what must have been running through that kids mind after seeing a blood soaked dog come at him!

Yeah, a blood soaked Mastiff to boot. Boy that must have been funny.

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #56 on: Nov 27, 2011, 12:23 PM »
I wish I had a video camera for that one!

Offline ChrisMinMaine

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #57 on: Dec 10, 2011, 09:33 AM »
Real nice sled mods

Offline Doc Hollywood

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #58 on: Dec 11, 2011, 12:05 AM »
I have recieved a lot of compliments on my old jet sled that I mod'd. Here are a couple plctures, (not great pictures) to give an idea. 2 Main compartments, 1 meant to hold my Ice Cube, and 1 for Everything else. Removable boat Seat/Swivel on Top as well as where my gas auger goes with Bungee Tie downs. I am ready this season with my mod'd Glide lite since I run n gun 95% of the time. 

Offline wipike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #59 on: Dec 12, 2011, 08:46 PM »
Nice layout on that jetsled.  Any pics of your Glide Lite?

I just got one, looks like just the ticket for my small car/afterwork outtings.  I'm torn as to where to start modding it. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.