Author Topic: --- SLED MODS ---  (Read 341867 times)

Offline LoneWolf

• Tournaments/Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Fanatic! >))))>
--- SLED MODS ---
« on: Jan 11, 2011, 11:33 AM »

Each year I notice members posting the modifications they do to their sleds .. jet sleds or others. I thought by posting a "SLED MODS" thread we would have an area where members could show their ingenuity and others could learn.  ;)

I only did minor, light weight mods to mine but I'll post some pics tomorrow.

Doug >))))>
Those who are brave are free ..

Offline Junior58

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: --- SLED MODS ---
« Reply #1 on: Jan 11, 2011, 04:28 PM »
Did the bucket mod a few weeks back. The buckets carry my minnows, tackle, rod holders, misc. clothing, fish etc ......but they take up way to much space in the sled and they are always sliding around. I took a couple of wall angle brackets, a piece of unistrut, and a couple horsefeed bucket holders to make it. I also mounted some rod holders on the inside to keep them from geting damaged and tangled. The buckets are secured and you can go up and down some pretty steep hills without worring about things falling out. I now have the entire sled open for my power auger and flasher. It added a few pounds but there was no way I was going to get everything in the sled.

2010 G3 Angler V175 FS   Yamaha 150TXR

Offline walleye tattoo

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wisconsin chapter
« Reply #2 on: Jan 11, 2011, 07:12 PM »
Out on the ice the buckets would be racing across the ice at record past the sled would be full of snow and ice this was all in a twenty four time frame. It may be just me but after years the sled is always covered with every thing inside never mind when the wind took the sled past the atv rear tires and flipped the sled every thing went flying anyway.
Not trying to be a kill joy but maybe it is just me every time out is an adventure.PS this past weekend the minnow bucket was lost $160 okley sunglasses and who knows what else.

Live to fish forced to work

Offline LoneWolf

• Tournaments/Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 12, 2011, 11:26 AM »

It sounds like you need a heavier sled .. maybe a wooden sled on ski's. You're also using an ATV so the weight doesn't matter to you.
Quite a few of us are on foot and we try to keep the weight down. I keep my bucket/seat secured in my sled just for the reason you described. I'll try to take some pics later.

Offline craigthor

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 12, 2011, 08:40 PM »
I'll post pictures of mine in a couple of days. Working on a few more changes then should be good to go. Doesn't help my Nils/ Tanaka setup isn't here yet so I can truely finish up the mounting system.

Craig

Offline Melbs7

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 12, 2011, 08:53 PM »
It sounds like you need a heavier sled .. maybe a wooden sled on ski's. You're also using an ATV so the weight doesn't matter to you.
Quite a few of us are on foot and we try to keep the weight down. I keep my bucket/seat secured in my sled just for the reason you described. I'll try to take some pics later.

At a minimum, a solid tow bar, and if you already have that.... well... then you just need to slow down a bit.....

Offline icebucketjohn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 15, 2011, 01:34 PM »
Nice well-thought out project.  Thanks for sharing & the pics
Ice-Fisherman: We're all highly addicted, shivering, psychotic patients in the asylum of the frigid.

Offline craigthor

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 18, 2011, 07:22 AM »
Here are a few of mine. The front auger support is still a work in progress but as that my Tanaka Powerhead hasn't arrived kind of hard to finalize any plans without it.

Unloaded:

Loaded:

On my Strikemaster Glide Lite this allows me to carry my Sonic Ice Hopper that holds my Vex, 5 Rod/ Reel combos, Ice Scoop, Glen's Outdoors 1 man Hub (for the really windy days), Tackle Bags, Propane Lantern (for night fishing).

Once I pop up the hub shelter it fits over the sled so I can keep everything inside the tent minus the auger. I can use the propane lantern for both light and heat if need be. Can honestly say with the Sno Suit I don't ever get cold but when I have a buddy go with its nice to have a base camp for them as they don't typically dress warm enough.

I still have a few things to finish up but will get those taken care of as I get time and once my power head arrives. Also this spring I plan on painting the PVC black and securing the pole holders once they are painted with a few screws. I also want to put some runners on the sled to help protect the bottom.

Craig

Offline icebucketjohn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 21, 2011, 05:02 PM »
Great ideas and nice pics.  How about showing one with the hub shelter up?
Ice-Fisherman: We're all highly addicted, shivering, psychotic patients in the asylum of the frigid.

Offline LoneWolf

• Tournaments/Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 24, 2011, 02:00 PM »

I'm sorry it took so long .. I've been busy with the Online Tournament and the local Get Together. As I had said previously I'm on foot and I was looking for light weight yet efficient. There aren't any elaborate modifications but they are light and work.
The first thing I did was replace the pull rope. The original was just over 8 feet. The new rope is right at 15 feet.
I added copper pipe clamps (the kind to secure plumbing to a wall) with SS hardware and ran rubber straps. This keeps my 7 gal bucket w/seat secure in the sled as well as securing other gear. I leave the bucket secured and sit on it in the sled as the rod holder is located perfectly. If I need to I can untie the knots in the straps and run them "criss cross" for added security and/or to secure my auger.
I utilized the same rod holders from my Fish Trap to the jet sled. I used 2 SS fender washers and a 2 pieces of aluminum angle with SS hardware.
I added reflective tape to both sides and reflectors to the rear.
I made a folding board that I can unfold, place across the front of the sled and use for my grill. The rubber straps can be ran across each side of the board to stabilize it if need be.

Again I made this to be light weight and functional for deep snow conditions etc.. I always have the Fish Trap for more ideal conditions.

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 24, 2011, 04:05 PM »
I built a box that covers my entire Jetsled XL.  It has two doors.  One will open by itself.
The other door will open both doors.  It greatly increases the amount of stuff I can carry.
I added UHMW strips to the bottom of my sled also.

If I would do it over, I would make the walls 9" high instead of 15".  I might cut it down
next year.

Offline SPADED

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Watch my rod while i pee...
« Reply #11 on: Jan 24, 2011, 11:47 PM »
maindog i really like your set up .. i pull everything by hand,how much weight do you think you have added? i wanna try this one!

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 25, 2011, 08:43 AM »
Made out of 1/4 plywood, coated with marine epoxy, then painted.  1/2" x 1/2" pine sticks for internal frame.
Less than double weight of Jet Sled XL.   I made it so high so I could sit on it, but I am going to cut it down some
to make it easier to put into the Burb or back of the truck (with a cover on the bed).

Offline craigthor

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 25, 2011, 01:49 PM »
Finally finished up my Strikemaster Glide Lite. Fully run and gun style for the ice fisherman on foot. Weighs in at roughly 58 lbs loaded with all of my gear which includes:

5 Rods and Reels
Sonic Ice Hopper paired with a Vex FL-22HD
2 Bags with various styles and sizes of jigs, spoons and plastics
Coleman Mini Propane Lantern
8" Nils/ Tanaka combo
Glens Outdoors 1 man Hub Shelter

Pictures of it empty:

Pictures of it loaded minus the rods and reels:

Will be taking it out in abit to give it some abuse but I'm awaiting the delivery guy with my 5th rod and my fly reels.

Craig

Offline LoneWolf

• Tournaments/Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 25, 2011, 02:55 PM »

Guys they're all nice mods !  ;)

craigthor .. I wonder if that's going to be tippy.  ???   Nice job and let us know how it works out.  ;D

Doug >))))>

Offline craigthor

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 25, 2011, 03:00 PM »
Guys they're all nice mods !  ;)

craigthor .. I wonder if that's going to be tippy.  ???   Nice job and let us know how it works out.  ;D

Doug >))))>

It is actually pretty balanced, if you pull up on the front it doesn't try to flip over backwards which I was afraid of. Actually headed out now to give it a test run.

Offline Rubicon

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 25, 2011, 03:03 PM »
Here are a few of mine. The front auger support is still a work in progress but as that my Tanaka Powerhead hasn't arrived kind of hard to finalize any plans without it.

Unloaded:

(Image removed from quote.)

Loaded:

Awesome set up  :clap:

On my Strikemaster Glide Lite this allows me to carry my Sonic Ice Hopper that holds my Vex, 5 Rod/ Reel combos, Ice Scoop, Glen's Outdoors 1 man Hub (for the really windy days), Tackle Bags, Propane Lantern (for night fishing).

Once I pop up the hub shelter it fits over the sled so I can keep everything inside the tent minus the auger. I can use the propane lantern for both light and heat if need be. Can honestly say with the Sno Suit I don't ever get cold but when I have a buddy go with its nice to have a base camp for them as they don't typically dress warm enough.

I still have a few things to finish up but will get those taken care of as I get time and once my power head arrives. Also this spring I plan on painting the PVC black and securing the pole holders once they are painted with a few screws. I also want to put some runners on the sled to help protect the bottom.

Craig
"TEACH A KID TO FISH", "IT WILL BRING BACK MEMORIES"

Offline craigthor

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 25, 2011, 08:35 PM »
Took it out for a run today and this thing pulls oh so nice and smooth. No tipping, rocking or uneven weight distribution that I have seen. Took it through some rough areas and it traveled and tracked very well. Have to say this setup is a winner.

Craig

Offline icedflies

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 25, 2011, 10:41 PM »
I was wondering if anyone has applied anything to the bottom of their sleds to make them glide better?

Offline Berkley4life

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 25, 2011, 10:58 PM »
ive heard of some people people waxing the bottom of their sleds, also some say that the silicone spray stuf works good too.  I just found some stuff at work called camie 2000 that is similar to the silicone stuf.  Im gonna give that a whirl and will test on thursday.  Ill let you know how it works.

Offline LoneWolf

• Tournaments/Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Jan 26, 2011, 06:26 AM »
I was wondering if anyone has applied anything to the bottom of their sleds to make them glide better?

I've been using the spray silicone for years. It's quick and easy. Just stand the sled up, spray and wipe down. It dries pretty fast and leaves a slick finish.

Offline AltaIce

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • S.W. Calgary , Alberta
« Reply #21 on: Jan 28, 2011, 05:07 PM »
Hi GraigThor

It is really looking good.. Great job.. How is it with the Auger on it?

Looks good. " Ct "

@)
  " I Don't Fail …  I Succeed In Finding What Does Not Work "

Offline jopes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Jan 30, 2011, 10:23 PM »
not so much a mod, but I built my own sled this year.

box full of rods and such

auger holder

Don

Offline emtorn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Feb 02, 2011, 01:04 PM »

Here is what I have done so far to mine

Offline AltaIce

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • S.W. Calgary , Alberta
« Reply #24 on: Feb 02, 2011, 07:21 PM »
Hi emtron

Nice setup. Everything has it place.

@)

Offline Team Lightning

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Proud Gawker of the BIKINI ICE FISHING TEAM !!
« Reply #25 on: Feb 02, 2011, 09:44 PM »
I have heard that PAM cooking spray works well to lube sled bottoms ??  Have yet to try it.

Offline AltaIce

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • S.W. Calgary , Alberta
« Reply #26 on: Feb 03, 2011, 05:19 PM »
I have heard that PAM cooking spray works well to lube sled bottoms ??  Have yet to try it.
I have heard the same thing " TL".

Same as you, I have not tried it yet either.

@)

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Feb 03, 2011, 07:55 PM »
Old Thule roof rack and some curbside skis; a few bolts and angle aluminum at the hardware store.
A very easy pulling setup.

Offline acabtp

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I ♥ fishing
« Reply #28 on: Feb 05, 2011, 07:52 AM »
Don't know about PAM, or silicone spray... I just give mine a shot of WD40 on the bottom and rub it in from time to time.  Works fine, and is free because I already have many cans of it around the house.
Waiting for the ice

Offline holehawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Feb 05, 2011, 08:10 PM »
finished the re do of the "hawg sled "....just some pics.......................

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.