Author Topic: My Homemade $15 Sled! AKA The "Smitty Sled"  (Read 819349 times)

Offline smitty0312

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Build A Smitty Sled.......it's a back & lung saver
My Homemade $15 Sled! AKA The "Smitty Sled"
« on: Jan 25, 2009, 12:09 PM »
Here's my new homemade sled for my suitcase shanty. I got tired of it being a snow plow instead of it riding on top of the snow. Now it is like pulling 5lbs behind me when I have probably 85lbs of gear on it. It puts together in 30 seconds and takes apart in 15 seconds. It glides so easy over the snow! Now I'm not afraid of walking a long distance to a hot spot if I have to. It can be built for $15-$20 depending how cheap you get your skis for and what other stuff you have on hand. My skis only cost me $5 at our local thrift store. This also comes apart really easy so you can fit in your car like I have to, NO TOOLS REQUIRED! I thought I should share this for anyone on a budget or for one to get into your car Like I have to. Smitty

[email protected] if you don't have a FB account.....or search "The Original Smitty Sled" on FB....thank you

Offline d.e.a.f.g.u.y

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: My Homemade $15 Sled!
« Reply #1 on: Jan 25, 2009, 12:13 PM »
is there suppose to be a pic? cuiz if so i dont see anything

Offline smitty0312

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 25, 2009, 12:16 PM »
is there suppose to be a pic? cuiz if so i dont see anything

I had to modify...sorry. Smitty
[email protected] if you don't have a FB account.....or search "The Original Smitty Sled" on FB....thank you

Offline nypike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ALL THROUGH THE ICE!!!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 25, 2009, 12:19 PM »
what model shappell is that and how does it do in deep snow?
If you consider it a sport to gather your food by drilling through 36 inches of ice and sitting there all day hoping that the food will swim by, you might live in northern New York

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v17/camofish/IceShantyStuff/walleye22013_zpsbe2b0c13.png

Offline smitty0312

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 25, 2009, 12:23 PM »
It is a shappell S3000. I just have had  it out twice since building it Friday. By tying the rope to the ski tips I found it rides on top of the snow and doesn't sink much. Smitty

Offline ChautauquaDawg

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 25, 2009, 12:46 PM »
Thanks for posting the pics, I have the s2000 and I hate pulling it around.  I like the idea of putting the rope through the skis too.

Now where did I put those old skis?

Offline nypike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ALL THROUGH THE ICE!!!
« Reply #6 on: Jan 25, 2009, 01:00 PM »
It is a shappell S3000. I just have had  it out twice since building it Friday. By tying the rope to the ski tips I found it rides on top of the snow and doesn't sink much. Smitty
i have the shappell 4000 and it has the ski's on it but when you pull it with a machine the skis get mangled. I am looking to build something to put it on to tow it with a machine.
If you consider it a sport to gather your food by drilling through 36 inches of ice and sitting there all day hoping that the food will swim by, you might live in northern New York

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v17/camofish/IceShantyStuff/walleye22013_zpsbe2b0c13.png

Offline Lone Fisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 25, 2009, 01:39 PM »
isee you drill your 2 holes pretty close? why is thaT?

Offline 585perchfinder

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 25, 2009, 01:51 PM »
i thinks its a two person fold out or he uses a underwater camera

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Jan 25, 2009, 01:54 PM »
i thinks its a two person fold out or he uses a underwater camera

The shappell 2 man forces you to drill the holes that close together. I belive you have 14" to drill 2 holes in.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline smitty0312

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 25, 2009, 02:07 PM »
Correct. : :)

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #11 on: Jan 25, 2009, 02:38 PM »
I drill my holes similar for my DX3000. Fish out of one side and flip up the other cover to put the fish on (when I'm alone). If I fish water over 10' deep I make then a little further apart if I drop the camera to reduce tangles with fish on the camera cable. Then the tripod goes outside.

:tipup:
NBG

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline nypike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ALL THROUGH THE ICE!!!
« Reply #12 on: Jan 25, 2009, 03:07 PM »
put the rope through a piece of 1"pvc tubing to keep it rigid.
[/quote
done that before, it helps but still like to sway side to side alot,which at times pulls the brackets that are connected to the skis out of there holes. I was thinking of puttin a jet sled hitch on it. I think the skis that are on there are made for hand pulling.

Offline stripers77

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • tip-up
« Reply #13 on: Jan 25, 2009, 04:20 PM »
That's a sweet sled ;D. sure beats my sled.

Offline ArticusMedicus

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 25, 2009, 05:43 PM »
I'll be building one as soon as I get the skis....thanks man. :bow: :clap:
Yea, I'm a bit of a rebel.

Brown Coat to the bone!!

Offline winchester 88

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 25, 2009, 06:38 PM »
 The bolts on the ends of the 2x4's look like they bolt into holes in the slots in the 2x6's.
 What do they screw into?
 Luv your injun-uity....
Winchester 88
Has the rain a father?
Or who has begotten the drops of dew?
From whose womb comes the ice?
And the frost from heaven,who gives it birth?
By the breath of God ice is given and the broad waters are frozen.
The waters harden like stone and the surface of the deep is frozen.

The book of Job.

Offline brokenline

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • old nuf to know better, young nuff to do it twice!
« Reply #16 on: Jan 25, 2009, 07:24 PM »
how well do you think it would work behind a snowmobile?

Offline SLABSLAMMER

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 25, 2009, 07:56 PM »
SWEET !!!!!!!!!! Just happen to have a pair of old crosscountry skis !!!!!

Offline bigbucky1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Jan 25, 2009, 08:37 PM »
smitty do they have anymore of them skis up there?  I would be willing to drive to get them to help with my sled set up then maybe hit the river while up that away.  lol
<br />

Offline smitty0312

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Jan 26, 2009, 08:40 AM »
The bolts on the ends of the 2x4's look like they bolt into holes in the slots in the 2x6's.
 What do they screw into?
 Luv your injun-uity....
Winchester 88
The bolts act like pins down into the 2 x 4's, nothing is bolted together, that's why setup/takedown is so easy without tools.   

Smitty

Offline smitty0312

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Jan 26, 2009, 08:43 AM »
how well do you think it would work behind a snowmobile?
Since nothing is bolted together, I wouldn't recommend it behind atv/snowmobile. However, it could be modified to anyones circumstances. Smitty

Offline smitty0312

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Jan 26, 2009, 08:50 AM »
smitty do they have anymore of them skis up there?  I would be willing to drive to get them to help with my sled set up then maybe hit the river while up that away.  lol
Bucky, I bought the skis at Bargain Bonanza in Clinton, IA, Thats a new thrift store runned by our local christian school here in Fulton. I think they are only open Thursday-Saturday. It is located at 1501 N. 2nd st. Clinton, IA, the former Fullerton Lumber building. When I bought mine last week, they had 3 more sets....1 adult pr. & 2 childrens prs. . I think the adult pair that was left was $10. Mine was marked $5. Maybe you could bargain some with them. Smitty

Offline winchester 88

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Jan 26, 2009, 09:14 AM »
Since nothing is bolted together, I wouldn't recommend it behind atv/snowmobile. However, it could be modified to anyones circumstances. Smitty

That could be solved by putting "T" nuts in the bottom of the holes before bolting the blocks onto the skis.A little box wrench would be all that you would have to carry to anchor the cross members so it wouldn't come apart in transit.

Winchester 88
Has the rain a father?
Or who has begotten the drops of dew?
From whose womb comes the ice?
And the frost from heaven,who gives it birth?
By the breath of God ice is given and the broad waters are frozen.
The waters harden like stone and the surface of the deep is frozen.

The book of Job.

Offline smitty0312

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Jan 26, 2009, 09:23 AM »

That could be solved by putting "T" nuts in the bottom of the holes before bolting the blocks onto the skis.A little box wrench would be all that you would have to carry to anchor the cross members so it wouldn't come apart in transit.

Winchester 88
That would be a great idea, also, to get more height you could use 2 x 6, 2 x 8, and so on for the runners. I wanted to keep mine as small as possible so I could get it into my car and also keep it as light as possible too. Smitty

Offline Dizzy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Jan 26, 2009, 12:10 PM »
Nice sled and a great idea… and another shining example of why a forum topic dedicated to ice sleds and ice sled modifications would be fantastic!

(still looking for that bandwagon).  ;D

How did you attach the ski’s to the wood Smitty… are they just screwing in through the bottom and puttied over?

Offline smitty0312

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Jan 26, 2009, 01:28 PM »
Nice sled and a great idea… and another shining example of why a forum topic dedicated to ice sleds and ice sled modifications would be fantastic!

(still looking for that bandwagon).  ;D

How did you attach the ski’s to the wood Smitty… are they just screwing in through the bottom and puttied over?

I just drilled 3 holes through the bottom of the skies for each block, attached w/3" wood screws countersunk, I did not putty them. Smitty

Offline tundraboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Jan 26, 2009, 02:03 PM »
Thats a cool sled thanks for sharing!!!!
Love to fish but live to hunt

Offline Dizzy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Jan 26, 2009, 03:10 PM »
I just drilled 3 holes through the bottom of the skies for each block, attached w/3" wood screws countersunk, I did not putty them. Smitty

Thanks Smitty.

I recently came across a pair of old ski’s and I’m thinking of going that route for the Modzilla II construction scheduled for next fall.

Offline bigbucky1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Jan 26, 2009, 10:20 PM »
May be me and tbirdbassr need to make a road trip your way then smitty and fish some backwaters along the way.
<br />

Offline smitty0312

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Jan 27, 2009, 09:06 AM »
That would be great, alot of ice along the way to fish! Hope you get your skis and start building. Smitty

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.