Author Topic: Minnow heads  (Read 583 times)

Offline Fedexguy

• IceShanty Rookie
Minnow heads
« on: Jan 11, 2017, 11:49 AM »
Chasing walters tomorrow and I'm curious how many of you rig your minnow heads to the spoons? Do you just pinch the heads and hook through the lips on one of the trebles? Yes I'm a rookie when it comes to fishing walleyes through the ice when I'm generally searching out panfish. Thanks for any tips and advice
I love big honkers! Giant Canadian etc...

Offline Bartb

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Minnow heads
« Reply #1 on: Jan 11, 2017, 11:50 AM »
I like the hook in the mouth, thru the skull.  locks it in tight, then I pinch it off behind the gills leaving as many guts hanging out as possible.

works well for walleyes and crappies
I fish a lot....I catch a little.

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Jan 11, 2017, 11:55 AM »
I like the hook in the mouth, thru the skull.  locks it in tight, then I pinch it off behind the gills leaving as many guts hanging out as possible.

works well for walleyes and crappies

Yes, Yum to a Walter.

WS

Offline cwavs1982

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 11, 2017, 12:00 PM »
One way we do is to hook thru the mouth and up thru the skull, and the other way is to hook under the dorsal fin.  Both are with a jig setup.  If we use a spoon type jig would be to hook thru the head and then pinch off behind the head. 
I do hunt, and I do fish, and I don't apologize to anybody for hunting and fishing - Norman Schwarzkopf

Offline mono_mono

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 11, 2017, 12:17 PM »
Heads and the tail section work great for me - I also went to a single #8 wide gap hook on every spoon/pimple/kastmaster I own with great success for panfish. Trebles are awkward. You may want a #6 for bigger fish
Go to Heaven for the climate, to hell for the company!

Offline Icefishing83

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 11, 2017, 03:09 PM »
I also like the size #8 wide gap single hook on my spoons rather than a treble hook.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.