Author Topic: Ice line  (Read 2354 times)

Offline d_balm24

• Team IceShanty Regular
Ice line
« on: Nov 02, 2006, 10:19 AM »
Hey fellas just wondering if any of you guys have used firelines microice line.I am gonna be using it for panfish and I just wondered what you thought.I also was thinking about getting some of seagars ice fishing line and wanted to see your thoughts on both lines.  thanks

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
Re: Ice line
« Reply #1 on: Nov 02, 2006, 11:21 AM »
I have to agree with slip, I loaded up a few pannie rods along wiht my marmishwith fireline a couple seasons ago, I quikcly stripped it off and whent back to mono or floro.....same deal with powerpro, I onlt keep braids on my heavier rods wor lakers, pike and walleye

dwayne

« Reply #2 on: Nov 02, 2006, 11:31 AM »
"icefishing lines" are just mostly regular line repackaged in small quantities and marked up in price and are pretty much a waste of money. 

exactly...I buy 300 yard spools of 2 and 4 pound maxima fluorcarbon for ice fishing and it is a lot cheaper in the long run.

As per the fireline, it is great as long as the line is above freezing...otherwise it is useless.

Offline Bluefinforme

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 02, 2006, 12:28 PM »
I use it for crappie.....fireline all the way....leave the mono in the box and burn it! I don't have a problem with it freezing either.....granted I am jigging so the line is always under water....in the summer I switch to power pro on everything.....I am hooked on braid...and I fish for a living...jmo

(sorry I had to mention I get paid to go fishing;D

Offline toothfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Nov 02, 2006, 12:58 PM »
I feel that I need a clear line for clear water ice fishing. But...... here's an example :
We are set up on Waubay SD and I'm using clear mono (4 or 6..don't remember) and my buddy is out side the shack setting up tip-ups. Soon we have fish on the ice. Perch and Walleyes .
The thing is , he is catching them as fast as I am and he has black Cortland line ( Probably 10-12 lb line  :o ) on his tip-ups. Clear line meant nothing that day. :'(

"Central Iowa Anglers"

Offline Master Angler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 10" Hole = Less tales of the big one that got away
« Reply #5 on: Nov 02, 2006, 01:09 PM »
I use fireline all winter, and this is in Manitoba too, so I fish with it well below freezing. I don't have a huge problem with it; it freezes only slightly more than mono, and the ice breaks off easily too, being such a slick line.   I use it in the summer on my spinning rods for walleye and also use these reels on my ice rods too so its perfect for me.  You'll either love it or hate it.   8)

Offline toothfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Nov 02, 2006, 01:50 PM »
There is crystal fireline now. They call it clear but It's basically white. Haven't tryed it on ice yet.

"Central Iowa Anglers"

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Nov 02, 2006, 03:52 PM »
The only time I use superlines is when I'm fishing deep, like over 30 ft.  I have always had best luck with trilene xl 6 lb.  Sometimes I use 4 lb. Always clear because here in the west the water is usually gin-clear and the fish are pretty wily because of it.
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline muskie_huntre

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Nov 02, 2006, 08:39 PM »
I use Power Pro with Vanish leads on all my sight fishing rods.  The fish tend to run off horizontally rather than diving deep, and I dont get break offs from the line rubbing on the bottom of the hole like I would if I was using mono or fc lines.  Deeper water gills, and crappie  I use the 2 lb XL.  From perch on up I use the super line on all my rods due to the heavier jigs involved and the no stretch principles.  Good luck
MASON

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Nov 02, 2006, 09:32 PM »
ive been using power pro on all my rods w/ a floro. leader. havent had any problems and it gets very cold in n. maine. i find mono has alot of memory in the cold and you miss bites at times. its also alot more abrasion resistent than mono at real cold temps. ice breaks of easily w/ the smaller diameter line.

Offline big big rdg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pike Hunter
« Reply #10 on: Nov 02, 2006, 09:37 PM »
If I were jigging for crappie I would use a light flouro like 4lb test rather than the fireline b/c it does freeze a little more than the flouro or mono would.

Offline d_balm24

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Nov 03, 2006, 08:55 AM »
Thanks for all the responses guys.I used braided line last summer and wasnt a huge fan of it for some reason, so I probably will just stick with a 2 lb fluro or even mono this ice season.Just wanted to see what your opinions were.Maybe I will try some braided on one of my poles and see what I think of it.Again thanks
derek

Offline bigmike

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Nov 03, 2006, 09:29 AM »
There is crystal fireline now. They call it clear but It's basically white. Haven't tryed it on ice yet.

On the spool crystal does appear white.  I used it this summer in some very clear lakes and have friends who even used it trout fishing and I can tell you that it did not have a negative impact on my fishing.  I have worried about fishing in very clear water with braided lines for that reason, but Fireline Crystal seemed to perform well.  I like using it because I know I am less likely to lose fish if I get hung up on something.
New to ice fishing, but stuck with no ice!

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Nov 03, 2006, 07:56 PM »
see i fish primarily deep water (over 35ft.) mostly for lakers and whitefish so visibility isnt a real problem. the coils of mono at these depths is and ive missed hits off mono for that reason. if youre fishing shallow for panfish i would go with the light floro. too. good luck!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.