Author Topic: Beads for bluegills ?  (Read 2196 times)

Offline gofish33

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Gone fishin
Beads for bluegills ?
« on: Oct 31, 2006, 09:05 PM »
I browsed through 12 pages of comments about putting beads just above the hook when fishing pike, perch, and walleyes but I can't find anything about beads for gills/sunnies.  Does anyboby use beads when fishing sunnies ?  What color/size ?  I recently bought some Marmish jigs and they have tiny beads on the HOOK, so maybe putting beads on the line will work when fishing non-Marmish jigs.

thanks
gofish33

Offline BUCKSKI

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • JIGGING UP MUDFLAPS FROM SOMEWHERE
Re: Beads for bluegills ?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 01, 2006, 01:12 PM »
never used em for gills, but a dash of the right color can be the difference. Do like the tear drop shape the most.
Give it a try who knows?
" Of course I believe in luck. How otherwise to explain the success of some people you detest"

Jean Cocteau

Offline kerosenecounty17

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • kc17 - NE WI
« Reply #2 on: Nov 01, 2006, 05:52 PM »
I tried rattle beads on one really stained lake I fish.  Assumed the rattle would help bring them in.  Problem I ran into is that the gills kept hitting the bead instead of the bait.  VERY frustrating.

kc17
"An ounce of biology is worth a pound of tackle."

-Gord Pyzer

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #3 on: Nov 01, 2006, 06:25 PM »
KC17 has it exactly right, gills are prone to hit the brightest colour object on your line, so using beads will frustrait the hell out of you.....when icing gills you need to draw more attention to your hook and less from the line and jig head

Offline gofish33

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Gone fishin
« Reply #4 on: Nov 01, 2006, 09:12 PM »
I knew there was a good reason beads and gills were never mentioned together.  I may still get some red and white ones for perch fishing though. 

Thanks much for the replies.

gofish33

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Nov 02, 2006, 11:03 AM »
Nils makes replacement chains with a glow bead molded on the hook. Looking forward to field testing them, especially for an evening bite.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.