Author Topic: last ice gills?  (Read 1630 times)

Offline spearinfool

• IceShanty Rookie
  • never trust a man who doesnt drink
last ice gills?
« on: Mar 14, 2011, 08:57 AM »
anyone having any luck on last ice?  there's a small lake i fish and do very well on last ice.  but, this past week they have become very finicky.  normally i don't have any problems.  i really have work my butt off and change presentations to get a mess.  should i give it a rest or what?

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: last ice gills?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 14, 2011, 11:06 PM »
Don't give up if you still have safe ice. I was forced to quit due to the price of gas and the weather. :( My last trip was my most productive of the year for gills. The best spot was the mouth of a shallow weedy bay; an area I had never fished before. This was also in a small, relatively shallow lake. Most of my work was in locating the fish; once I got on them it was pretty steady. Not going to bore you with more pics; there are plenty on the gills on plastics thread. Good luck; this is the time!

Offline marcus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Mar 14, 2011, 11:21 PM »
move alot they are usually tightly schooled for some reason at last ice. Like cleaver said once you find them you are good to go like most fish they seem to go on the feed right now. Been finding them (NY) either right up in the weeds (5-8 fow ) or deeper water adjacent to the weeds. Much better IMO to find them in the weeds they seem to be more willing to bite.

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Mar 15, 2011, 12:05 PM »
Figure out what they're eating and where it's at and be there. Just the light from the longer day can get underwater creatures active and the fish know it. Perch are nearing the spawn and are in a heavy feeding mode, Crappies are into egg development like the Perch have been the last month or two, 'gills are starting egg making and are taking advantage of the easy pickin's like the others. Not uncommon near me to have cased caddis coming up the hole to hatch and fly away, all sorts of things down there are getting ready for ice out (best open water pannie fishing of the year)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.