Author Topic: Trip #3: Ultra Light Ice Grandslam  (Read 1661 times)

Offline Jigging Nomad

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Jigging Nomad
Trip #3: Ultra Light Ice Grandslam
« on: Dec 26, 2009, 04:20 PM »
Got out solo today for a few hours on the ice.  Had the entire lake to myself.  5" of solid ice under 3" or so of sloppy stuff.  The action was much better than I anticipated.  

Fished an ultra light setup with 1 lb. test and a small jig tipped with a waxworm or maki plastics.  From 10 a.m. til noon the bite was fantastic with over 100 bluegill iced in those 2 hours.  After that, the bite got real tough for awhile, but I was determined to get back on a hot bite.   When I finally decided to quit staring at the green, yellow, and red lights of the Vexilar at 3 p.m., I had caught an estimated 120 Bluegill, 12 Pumpkinseed, 1 Yellow Perch, 1 Largemouth Bass and 1 fiesty Chain Pickerel that pulled like a freight train.  How he didn't cut or break that tiny line on one of its runs is beyond me, but I'll take it. :) Wish I had taken photos of the perch and pumpkinseed since I got pics of the Bluegill, Bass, and Pickerel. Here are a few pics from the solo trip.
Two Bluegill in a natural livewell:

One of the better Bluegill:

The only Largemouth, a blast on 1 pound line:

The Chain Pickerel:
Looking for JUMBO Perch, Crappie, and Bluegill

Offline Yopy

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Trip #3: Ultra Light Ice Grandslam
« Reply #1 on: Dec 26, 2009, 04:35 PM »
i gotta say too, gettin a hold of a big bass or even a pickerel/ northern on a UL rod with a reel is really fun to fight

Offline Townie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 26, 2009, 11:31 PM »
That's a lot o' panfish iced Mike  :thumbsup: How do you like the Abu Garcia Cardinal reel? Rod looks like a TB Perch Sweetheart...
Bulls, Jumbos & Slabs Oh My!

Offline Jigging Nomad

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Jigging Nomad
« Reply #3 on: Dec 27, 2009, 08:33 AM »
The 300u is a very nice little ice reel.  The rod is an older UL Genz Stick.  All my other rods are St. Croix.   
Looking for JUMBO Perch, Crappie, and Bluegill

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.