The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Zen and the art of ice fishing  (Read 931 times)

Offline narkj

• IceShanty Rookie
Zen and the art of ice fishing
« on: Mar 09, 2017, 02:53 PM »
I'm the reporter from Philly who was interested in ice fishing. Here's what I wrote. You'll probably all think I'm a bit weird, but it evolved into an essay about fatherhood. Thanks for your help.

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/father-son-ice-fishing-pennsylvania-lake.html

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Zen and the art of ice fishing
« Reply #1 on: Mar 09, 2017, 03:34 PM »
Nice read. Tip line should be tip-up. I hope Zen picks up ice fishing with you also. If not something he'll remember for ever. If you ever come to western Pa and there's ice your more than welcome,and yes will have deer jerky and deer snack sticks.lol

Offline Eddie Spaghetti

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Mar 09, 2017, 06:00 PM »
Very nice article Jason. Hopefully, the word gets out, and all the kids will join daddy for a trip next season. It is time well spent.

Offline capt.crappie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Mar 09, 2017, 06:56 PM »
Interesting story. I wish my father would have taken me when I was young. I still cant get my dad to verture out on the ice. He thinks im crazy  :cookoo:. But once ice fishing gets in your veins. There is nothing more addictive for me. It has been. Some of the best fishing I have ever experienced. If we get ice next year here in berks co. You & zen are welcome to tag along. Your have to supply the deer jerky.

Offline butcher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Mar 10, 2017, 11:28 AM »
Thank you very much for sharing.  The title was fantastic.  I read the Pirsig novel in high school and thoroughly enjoyed it.  And no, the article was not weird in any way.  It was endearing. I appreciate that the focus of the piece was not the fish, but the people and the experience.  The slideshow showed some great fish but the real reward was the experience itself. 

Henry David Thoreau has been misquoted/paraphrased many times with the line, "Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."  Although he never actually wrote those words, I believe the spirit of the phrase is still true to his sentiments.  When I go fishing with my family and children, catching fish is not the goal.  The goal is to spend time with the people I love and to make a great memory with them.  Any fish we catch is simply a bonus.

Very nicely written!  I hope you continue to publish more stories like this one.  I most certainly will continue to look for your articles.  If you and your children decide to make it an annual event, you are most welcome to join my family and I on the ice for one of our adventures.

Offline L.A. fisherman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Mar 10, 2017, 04:53 PM »
like butcher said time spent with family is priceless the fish are just a bonus!

Offline Icemole

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Mar 10, 2017, 06:08 PM »
 Somehow I talked my Pop into taking me way back in the mid 70's. I had read about it in the "outdoor mags" and had to try it. Well here in the SE there was no icefishing gear for sale that we knew of. I made a few jig poles out of old fly rod tips, wooden handles with reels taped on. To cut through the ice we I used an ax what fun that is through 20" of ice LOL. Our 3rd trip out Pop had swiped a large crowbar from work that we use as a spud ... better but still a chore.  I think we went 5-6 times over 2-3 years(Pop worked 7day swing shift so we did not have many free days).  We finally caught a fish(trout out of Anteidam) on one of our last trips.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.

Offline charlijones

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Mar 10, 2017, 06:15 PM »
 Very nice read, I really got the feeling of an ice outing reading it.

Offline icewolf69

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Mar 11, 2017, 05:48 AM »
That was a good morning coffee read, Thanks for sharing  :tipup: :tipup:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.