The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Zipper on otter shanty  (Read 666 times)

Offline spoonman

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
Zipper on otter shanty
« on: Jan 26, 2014, 02:22 PM »
Dose anyone know how to fix a zipper on the door of my shanty it's a otter cabin every time it gets cold say someware in the teens or below it doesn't work any help would be appreciated  :%$#!: :%$#!:
How do you catch a polar bear cut a hole in the ice and when he comes to look kick him in the icehole

Offline Indiana_Lou

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
Re: Zipper on otter shanty
« Reply #1 on: Jan 26, 2014, 05:01 PM »
Spoonman, Is it due to shrinkage in the cold? Or does the zipper simply need some lubricant? If it's due to being too tight because it has shrunk when it dries, try taking the pressure off by relaxing the tension on your poles or guide wires (tie downs). If it's due to the zipper needing lubricant, some guys use chapstick on them. Otherwise I think they sell stuff for that problem where they sell camping supplies. Your other option, probably most expensive, would be to take it to a place that makes boat covers and have the zipper replaced. Good luck with it. I know it can be a real pain particularly when the fingers aren't as nimble in the cold or arthritis issues exist.   Lou

Offline spoonman

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 26, 2014, 06:08 PM »
Thank Lou, was thinking of using wd 40 on it also thought about taking it to somebody that works with canvas it seems the teeth of the zipper don't mess right thanks foe the help will let you know how I make out :thumbsup:
How do you catch a polar bear cut a hole in the ice and when he comes to look kick him in the icehole

Offline slider

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 26, 2014, 07:56 PM »
there are times with my clam 5600 that ice forms on the teeth it really is a pain when your trying to close things up on a windy day
ive just held the place where the is is with my hand and most of the time it works

Offline spoonman

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 26, 2014, 09:07 PM »
Tried that doesn't work thanks anyway

Offline mricefish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 26, 2014, 09:15 PM »
I once heard that if you run a bar of soap on the zipper teeth it will help it open and shut.  Now not sure if it will work cant remember trying it my self.  but maybe that would be worth a try.

Offline spoonman

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #6 on: Jan 29, 2014, 09:12 PM »
Went to a Tailor shop today to find out how much it was going to cost to put a new zipper in my shanty to my sirprise the two ladies that run the shop gave me some things to try one of them was take a pair of pliers and squeeze the narrow end of the zipper and low and be hold it worked so if anybody else has a problem with there zipper try this and see if it will hel ;Dp

Offline Indiana_Lou

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 29, 2014, 10:05 PM »
Spoon, Thanks for the follow-up.  Lou

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.