Author Topic: Giant Walleye  (Read 18420 times)

Offline Bassman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ~ FLAG-UP ~
Re: Giant Walleye
« Reply #60 on: Jan 28, 2013, 07:16 PM »
 :o
Mike & Otis the sled dog

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #61 on: Jan 29, 2013, 07:32 PM »

hope this one is not intruding but it does say giant walleye this one was caught in NY

Offline Diehardiceguy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #62 on: Jan 29, 2013, 07:43 PM »
hope this one is not intruding but it does say giant walleye this one was caught in NY
(Image removed from quote.)
my god mAn. That thing is a tank

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #63 on: Jan 29, 2013, 08:26 PM »
this fish on an unofficial scale was just under 18 lbs

Offline nonamer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #64 on: Jan 29, 2013, 08:29 PM »
that is a beautiful walleye. nice going.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #65 on: Jan 30, 2013, 04:08 AM »
that is a beautiful walleye. nice going.

i didn't catch it one of my buds hired hands did , I wish

Offline IceRaider

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #66 on: Jan 30, 2013, 04:45 AM »
Some pics of Zander (European Walleye)

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #67 on: Jan 30, 2013, 07:22 AM »
monsters for sure , whats the weights

Offline Scottio43

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #68 on: Feb 08, 2013, 01:19 PM »
Wow what a brute! :clap:

Offline WildFisherWomanVT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #69 on: Feb 08, 2013, 02:05 PM »
 :o Wow Nice ones
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived"

Offline smokemetallic

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #70 on: Feb 08, 2013, 02:12 PM »
I'd love to know the exact ages of some of those monsters. I find it fascinating that I have a chance to catch a fish that's 20 years or older.

Offline zanderlover

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #71 on: Nov 12, 2013, 01:33 PM »
hello all, first I will present me, I am not an ice fishermen but a european fishermen. In my country, fishing on ice is not allowed because it is to dangerous (not enough ice width during the winter). I was a passionate fishermen since I begin to work. Today I have no time any more to fish.
I have some answers for you because I know the zander very well it was my favorite fish with the grayling.

I have take a lot of zander with a lot of methods, with small fishes, alive or not, with lures, with drachko and several times with flies (a few only)!

I don't know the weight of the first specimen you show on the photo, but that the fish was fotographied with a wide angle, than it appear larger than it is.
The second is a german one of about, 40.16 inches (102 cm) and 24.6 pounds (11,2 kg).
the third is a wonderful specimen catch by an incredible italian fisherman Marco Guidici (an incredible catcher of monstrous northern pikes and zanders), more than 33 pounds (more than 15 kg) and 41.34 inches (105 cm) (maybe one of the largest ever seen)! no more precision because he release his fish after some photographies. This fish is really dark and this indicate that it was catch just after the mating period.
the fourth: a french one, 35.43 inches (90 cm), 18.7 pounds (8,5 kg) and the typical effect of a larger fish, because the photos were taken with a wide angle.

The age is difficult to give, because the reading of the scale (scalimetry) is difficult on zander and the otholiths are not good. But we know that a 3 to 5 years old fish reach to 17.72 (45 cm). After that they grow slowly to really gigantic sizes and it is possible to talk about specimens of more than 10 years ore more. We have informations about fishes just a little larger than the specimen of Guidici. The max seem's to be close from 45,30 inches (115 cm) and a little lesser than 39.6 pounds (18 kg).

Here are some photographies, for you of one of my largest specimen (unfortunately I don't have any photos of the largest one 20.9 pounds (9,5 kg) for 38.9 inches (99 cm not one meter!).
These one have reach to 35.43 inches (90 cm) and 19.8 pounds (9 kg).

Here am I with "him". The zander is lesser gold colored than your walleye, the belly is white, the flanks are gold and the back is green. It was a male with two fishes in the stomach (22 and 20 cm long!).

Here my grand father show's the fish (unfortunately he is deceased today because we were a family fishing team)

This fish was taken with a Drachkovitch rig (dead fish used as a lure on a specific mount). We have take a lot of fishes of 3, 4 or 5 kg, some of 6 and 7 and one of 8 and two of more than 9 kg. A lot of them were released alive.

Sorry for any mistakes, english is not my mothertongue.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #72 on: Nov 12, 2013, 08:50 PM »
Welcome to Iceshanty  zanderlover.

You said it very well Sir.     Thanks for showing us those trophy fish !

WOW!

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #73 on: Nov 12, 2013, 08:57 PM »

yes thanks for sharing

Offline Iowan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #74 on: Nov 13, 2013, 05:18 PM »
Wow, what a fish!!
Catch a man a fish and feed him for a day, teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime.

Offline masoneddie

• Team IceShantyholic
  • lay bricks or go fishing...doh!!
« Reply #75 on: Nov 13, 2013, 05:39 PM »
Welcome aboard Zanderlover! Awesome fish! Thank you for sharing with us.... :thumbsup:

Offline spud bar

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #76 on: Nov 13, 2013, 05:39 PM »
Yes, thanks for sharing. Superb catch!

Offline zanderlover

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #77 on: Nov 14, 2013, 12:45 PM »
Thank you all, If you love my fishes here are some others:

My first big Zander a superb, 12.3 pounds

And after that I have learn the drachko method and the large fishes became more common.

Here is my grand father with one of these fish of an incredible week (this one was sacrificed to offer to my friends).

12.7 pounds and 29.90 inches. Incredibly fat female!

And here I am with the same fish.

This week I have catch two specimens of 15 pounds (one released), one of 12.7, one of  14.3 pounds (release) and an enormous (unfortunately no photos) of 20.9. And a northern pike of 9.9 pounds (release).

Only with the Drachkovitch rig, the best to catch zander for me and a lot of others european fishermen.

If you want some details on this wonderfull fish you can answer to me, the zander was a real passion for me during a lot of years.  ;)

Offline A0fisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #78 on: Nov 15, 2013, 12:55 PM »
Zanderlover, "vous etes Francais"?  Or "sind Sie Deutscher"?  I have never heard of the Drachkovitch mount until today.  I think it would be referred to as the Drachkovitch rig instead:  http://www.sovereignsuperbaits.co.uk/Accessories/Deadbait_Rigs/deadbait_rigs.html
Another linguistic note:  the decimal mark is a period (.) in English, not a comma (,).  For example:  14.3 pounds.  I am not trying to be too pedantic but other readers might have an easier time understanding the difference in notation.  :P  What's the advantage of the Drachkovitch rig?  Perhaps I shall send you a PM instead of high jacking this thread... 

Offline zanderlover

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #79 on: Nov 16, 2013, 11:03 AM »
I'm not french but not very far from France! I am belgian. Ok for the . It is difficult for european to talk in pounds and inches, because we use metric and KG. For the Drachkovitch, I don"t have found any correct translation, than if you want to talk about a rig no problem for me.

The advantages, a lot! It is a real fish (dead), not a lure than you have a lot of sensorial stimulations, like the blood, and the smell. The other advantage, is the weight, it is a sphere of lead (untoxic) place just before the fish, than you can do a lot of animations. The movements are like a zic-zag and it is particularly efficient for zander. You will animate the fish not very far from the bottom were the zanders are. For the pikes it's easier, you will animate were you want. The best way is to put the fish on the bottom, one time, the second time animate just above and than still just under the surface.
This system is extremely easy to make, just a piece of 10 cm  (3.9 inches) long in 70/100 (0.028 inches) in steel piano wire,  made by a plier with rounded beak, two triple hooks, piece of coper wire (take in a electric cable) and a weight. Considerably lesser expensive than artificial fishes what are easy to loose when you animate them close from the bottom with obstacles.
Finally (but it is possible to write a book about this wonderful system), the rig is particularly efficient in vertical use, because of these zic-zag action what irritate the percomorphs (this action is not so efficient on pikes, what seem's to prefer more horizontal actions).  ;)
And finally OK for talking about in PM.

Offline Big Dee

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Die hard ice man forever
« Reply #80 on: Nov 17, 2013, 10:55 AM »
Nice walleye buddy.....
[img width=160 Dewayneheight=80]http://i1295.photobucket.com/albums/b629/mistromatic/smallred.jpg[/img]

Offline A0fisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #81 on: Nov 19, 2013, 01:57 PM »
Belge, Hein?  I grew up in France.  Well, thanks for the pictures and information on the Drachkovitch rig.  I might have to try it for walleyes. 

Offline panfisher1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #82 on: Nov 29, 2013, 02:25 PM »
Nice!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.