The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: K Drill with M18 9 AH  (Read 7294 times)

Offline sckoolman

• IceShanty Rookie
K Drill with M18 9 AH
« on: Mar 08, 2017, 09:41 AM »
Like so many others, I went with the KD/M18 combo this year (8") and for me it is the best investment I've made since my flasher!  It work flawlessly with just the drill handle (no clam plate) and with three batteries, only ran out of juice once (after 10 hours on the ice one day).  I have a bad back and using this combo has allowed me to drill as many holes as I like.  My old Jiffy (which runs great) was just too heavy for my back. 

I happened to be in Home Depot yesterday and they had a clearance/open package display and much to my surprise, they had a Milwaukee 9 AH battery - I didn't even know they made them.  I paid $90 for it, retail was $170.  I decided to see how much weight it would add to the auger set up (which others have said is about 8# or so).  The std 5 AH battery weighs 1.6# and my new 9 AH weighs about 2.5#.  So for less than a pound, the drilling capacity almost doubles.  Not a huge deal, but hopefully helpful.  I'll report back how it goes.

Offline Northern_MN Outdoorsan

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: K Drill with M18 9 AH
« Reply #1 on: Mar 08, 2017, 10:24 AM »
I got a 9.0ah battery to pair with my 8" K Drill and Milwaukee Fuel drill. It works great. I was still able to drill around 40 holes with it through 2 1/2 feet of ice last weekend before it finally died.

Offline ActiveTrapChecker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Mar 08, 2017, 10:27 AM »
Has anyone tried to use a 10" bit with the M18?

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Mar 08, 2017, 07:51 PM »
Has anyone tried to use a 10" bit with the M18?
I run a Nils on a Superhawg. Works well.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Mar 08, 2017, 10:30 PM »
what size? i currently have a 6" auger, looking to upgrade to something a little bigger. I read about 8", wondering if 10" is possible

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Mar 09, 2017, 05:22 AM »
10". I wouldn't recommend it on a regular drill. A regular drill will do it, but in my opinion,a 10" is a little too much. With a 5.0 battery, I can drill around 40' of ice.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Mar 09, 2017, 06:51 AM »
I invested in the the M18 Fuel with 2 5-AH batteries this season. Have yet to need the second battery, albeit fishing 6" holes.

I guess i can compare the 2 drills and see how much of a difference there is between the 2 and go from there.

Thanks for the info

Offline lunkerslayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Mar 13, 2017, 10:56 AM »
I got a 9.0ah battery to pair with my 8" K Drill and Milwaukee Fuel drill. It works great. I was still able to drill around 40 holes with it through 2 1/2 feet of ice last weekend before it finally died.
I call BS 40 holes 2.5 feet ice on one battery no way BS that's 1200 inches no way

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Mar 13, 2017, 11:12 AM »
I call BS 40 holes 2.5 feet ice on one battery no way BS that's 1200 inches no way

Whatever then. Just going by the amount of holes I drilled from that weekend with it. 2 weekends ago I was able drill 35 holes through 30" of ice before it died. Two days ago I drilled 20 holes through 30" of ice on 3/4 charge.

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #9 on: Mar 13, 2017, 11:23 AM »
With the 9ah battery , that is believable, with the 5ah battery last year I drill around 600" ice on one battery !!!

Offline lunkerslayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Mar 13, 2017, 11:26 AM »
So icefishingtoday states that a 5amp battery through 24 inches of ice you can cut an avg 24 holes with a kdrill which they dont tell us if they are using a 6 or 8 inch, so thats 576 inches even at double amps is only 1152 inches but your talking 30 inches of ice 40 holes with a 9 amp battery nah

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Mar 13, 2017, 11:33 AM »
Like I said before, whatever. Just going by my own personal experience.

Offline lunkerslayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Mar 13, 2017, 11:40 AM »
With the 9ah battery , that is believable, with the 5ah battery last year I drill around 600" ice on one battery !!!
what size bit you using?and 30 inches is much harder on a 42 inch drill at then 24 inches. The deeper the ice more amps it takes to clean the hole out it he said a 6 inch bit then I would believe but an 8 inch BS

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #13 on: Mar 13, 2017, 12:05 PM »
what size bit you using?and 30 inches is much harder on a 42 inch drill at then 24 inches. The deeper the ice more amps it takes to clean the hole out it he said a 6 inch bit then I would believe but an 8 inch BS
.          Using a 6" lazer, don't have any experience with a k-drill

Offline lunkerslayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Mar 13, 2017, 12:25 PM »
6 inch bit is 28 inches squared vs 50 inches squared everywhere I look from people I trust their word says that with one 5 amp battery they avg 400 inches on a 8 inch bit in 30 inches of ice avg 15 holes per 5 amp battery. So like i said noway 1200 inches off one 9 amp battery. Oh that was with a 1200 lb M18. So with a 6 inch yes I can say that 1200 inches is a possibility if the planet's are aligned with the milky way. Almost double the square inches between 8 vs the 6.

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Mar 13, 2017, 11:09 PM »
Absolutely not B.S. Been there done that.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Mar 14, 2017, 10:40 AM »
Absolutely not B.S. Been there done that.

Don't even bother trying to convince him otherwise. It's like trying to convince a petulant 4 year old they are wrong.

Offline lunkerslayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Mar 14, 2017, 11:13 AM »
Well then the icefishingtoday website is wrong claiming 24 in 24 with a 5 amp battery 576 inches/5 =115.2 inches per amp 115.2 x9 =1036.8 inches per amps but also it doesn't state what size bit they are using. Someone is telling stories out of school. That's facts right there your facts are not factual unless you can claim otherwise. So the grand total for a day of ice trolling is 1036.8/30= 34 and some change not 40 so calling me a 4 year old doesn't change the facts even if you get someone else to claim otherwise even though another member claimed he could get 600 inches with lazer bit which takes less amps to drill a 6 inch hole not a 8 inch hole.

Offline lunkerslayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Mar 14, 2017, 11:37 AM »
He drops the mic and walks away from the podium. The 4 year old has stunned the crowd.

Offline Skywagon

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Mar 17, 2017, 07:17 AM »
With an 8" K-drill I can drill somewhere around 400" of "hard" ice on a single 5 amp battery (and they are new batteries) in below freezing temperatures with the Milwaukee brushless 18v drill.  Measuring to the top of frozen slush or snow does not count in my book when calculating ice depth.

Offline lunkerslayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Mar 17, 2017, 09:52 AM »
Which makes complete common sense, that is what I have been trying to tell these knuckle draggers that there is no way they can cut 1200 inches of solid ice on a 9amp battery. 28 sq2 inches and 50sq2 inches is the total area of the 6 to 8 inch bit which to me is a consistent accurate information based on a comparison of 400 to 576 inches on a 5 amp battery. 
I want to clarify that the k drill is an impressive bit none the less in it's own design meaning with the ripper blades and plastic aluminum body it is in a class it's own. But on a caparision of a side by side competition between the 8 inch k drill and an 8 inch nil with a power point . The nils will get 1200 plus inches based on blade efficiency and total torque required for a 18 volt drill with the same amps. One more thing I would like to point out is the nils 8 inch cutting head is a full 8 inches unlike the 8" k drills  is actually a 7.5 inch bit.

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #21 on: Mar 28, 2017, 12:13 PM »
Like so many others, I went with the KD/M18 combo this year (8") and for me it is the best investment I've made since my flasher!  It work flawlessly with just the drill handle (no clam plate) and with three batteries, only ran out of juice once (after 10 hours on the ice one day).  I have a bad back and using this combo has allowed me to drill as many holes as I like.  My old Jiffy (which runs great) was just too heavy for my back. 

I happened to be in Home Depot yesterday and they had a clearance/open package display and much to my surprise, they had a Milwaukee 9 AH battery - I didn't even know they made them.  I paid $90 for it, retail was $170.  I decided to see how much weight it would add to the auger set up (which others have said is about 8# or so).  The std 5 AH battery weighs 1.6# and my new 9 AH weighs about 2.5#.  So for less than a pound, the drilling capacity almost doubles.  Not a huge deal, but hopefully helpful.  I'll report back how it goes.

I was looking for the Clam Plate for 2 months for my KD8/Fuel and got a returned/unused one at Gander last weekend. Then yesterday, I got an email from Home Dept saying they have Clam Plates back in stock. When it rains it pours. Amazing set-up. Only way I'm going back to gas is if the Fuel breaks.

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Oct 16, 2017, 05:36 PM »
 so i am in the market for another m18 fuel hammer drill and was thinking about going with the k-drill combo, price seemed decent.  emailed them asking what drill came with their kit and it's the 2703-22, NOT the hammer drill.  anyone understand the reasoning?  i always thought the hammer drill was near necessary for running an auger bit.

Offline tbern

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Oct 16, 2017, 05:40 PM »
As l understand it you DO NOT want to drill your holes using the hammer option. You want to use the steady drilling option of the drill.

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Oct 16, 2017, 05:45 PM »
so i am in the market for another m18 fuel hammer drill and was thinking about going with the k-drill combo, price seemed decent.  emailed them asking what drill came with their kit and it's the 2703-22, NOT the hammer drill.  anyone understand the reasoning?  i always thought the hammer drill was near necessary for running an auger bit.
Both drills have the same  torque , so you will be fine with either one.

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!
« Reply #25 on: Oct 16, 2017, 05:50 PM »
I believe the reasoning was that the hammer drill would have a stronger gear case, but would still be used in the drill setting.  :tipup:
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline Damn Yankee

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #26 on: Oct 16, 2017, 06:52 PM »
There is a new Sheriff in town.
The Milwaukee Mud Mixer.

Leave Some For Seed

Offline MT204

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Oct 17, 2017, 09:27 AM »
Both drills have the same  torque , so you will be fine with either one.
My option, one less thing to break with out hammer feature.

Offline Junkie4Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Oct 17, 2017, 09:57 AM »

As already mentioned, it is the torque that matters and since you don't run it in the hammer setting that is why the 2703 comes standard in their kits. They do acknowledge that the 2704 works just as good though. Hammer drill is slightly heavier though it's only a couple ounces I believe. I just bought the 6" kdrill from acmetools and 2703-22 from ebay for a total of $425, which is quite a bit less than the k-drill combo through their website...
Da Pack!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.