Author Topic: downsizing from a 2 man to a 1 man  (Read 4034 times)

Offline Uncle Al

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • STAND FOR THE FLAG, KNEEL FOR THE CROSS
downsizing from a 2 man to a 1 man
« on: Mar 10, 2019, 05:19 PM »
going a different route next year, want to have everything off the ice, no towing. Looking for pro's and con's about the one man that you use, and why you like or don't like it. and any mods you've done to it. thanks

Offline claymore6

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: downsizing from a 2 man to a 1 man
« Reply #1 on: Mar 10, 2019, 06:43 PM »
I switched this year to a one man.  I bought the Clam Legend XL Thermal from Bass Pro. It came with the travel cover and light bar. It was chosen for the
"balance". Not too small and not the lightest, but it has a great seat and holds all my gear. The footprint is small enough so the drag is not too bad and it fits easily in the back of my pick up. Does OK in the wind up to 20mph. (but packing it up is not fun at higher mph). I got the black (Cabela's) model and with the sun heating the fabric I have not needed a heater.

http://stores.clamoutdoors.com/clam/shelters/legend-xl-thermal-3484.html

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Mar 10, 2019, 08:16 PM »
Clam Blazer Stealth is my one man that I trudge into the Boundary Waters. Warm, light and easy.

Absolutely no regrets.  It is the lightest of all the 1 man shelters that I found.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline jrjach75

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Mar 11, 2019, 08:34 AM »
I've had a couple over the years.

Frabill Recon, the one I had was not the newest model, so not sure if there were changes on the newer versions. Tough sled, pulled pretty easy, fabric wasn't the thickest but never had a problem, black so it heated up real well in the sun, very light, easy to load/unload from the vehicle. Windows were removable, and I did have both of them eventually crack and needed to be replaced. Two inside pockets for stuff, just two windows (right and left). Only cons I can think of is the lack of a door, it would have been nice at times but not really needed. It's really narrow and the front is angled so that I needed to use shorter rods, 24" max for me. No seat, but that's why its so light. My front bar did not sit on the ice, and I've seen others complain about this, I bought mine used so maybe it was assembled with the rear fabric pulled back to far. Frabill's customer service has been really bad lately, about the only reason I would't buy another one. Sold it to upgrade to the Hideout, wanted more fishing room, and insulation.

Otter Hideout, I had this for a season and recently sold it. About as good as it gets when it's set up and you are fishing out of it. By far the best quality hardware, support poles, sled, material, everything. Insulation was great, windows are sewn in, lots of room on the ice mostly length, no so much width, but plenty wide enough to spin around and get into the sled behind you when it's set up. One large inside pocket, 4 windows (all sides). The seat sits up high and wobbles, its meant to be removable for transport so I get why its a loose fit, but I didn't like the wobble sitting on it. Storage space in the sled is small, a lot is taken up by all the material and the seat support. Very awkward to lift, and it's just heavy enough that you need to unload most of your gear. If I had a pickup, I'd probably would have carried some lumber to just slide it up, but I have an SUV so I had to unpack it, lift it up, repack it. I didn't think the sled pulled all that great. Sold it because I must have forgot that the whole reason I liked the one man flip over was lightweight, easy to load/unload, run and gun portability, and the Hideout wasn't it. Expensive, but I was able to get what I paid for it the day after I listed it for sale.

Clam Blazer, I just bought the insulated Stealth model. Very light, easy to pick up, I was able to load/unload out of my vehicle fully packed minus my gas auger. Lots of room in the sled, more room than the Hideout or Recon. The hardware, sled and poles seem OK, not near the quality of the Otter, but after spending a morning out in heavy wind this weekend, the kind where if you lean forward, your shack is going to move, I'm not worried about durability. Material is good, feels really heavy duty, all black so it should heat up in the sun really well. It did rain while I was out, and the water beaded up pretty well on the material, and was still beaded up when I set it up to dry the next day. Four cargo pockets plus an overhead net inside, three windows (none in the back) which are sewn in. No seat but it has a bracket to hold a bucket, I'm ok with sitting on a bucket but might take out that bracket and use a small folding chair. No complaints, but I've only had it out once, I will say I was surprised at how large the fishing area is, almost as large as the Hideout. Price was right too.

Offline Uncle Al

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Mar 11, 2019, 04:09 PM »
 jrjach75
Is that clam blazer stealth the one with the 61in tub?

Offline jrjach75

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Mar 11, 2019, 05:24 PM »
jrjach75
Is that clam blazer stealth the one with the 61in tub?

Yes, but that 61" must include the lip of the sled, and maybe even some overhanging material, because my vehicle has exactly 60" of space and I can fit the Blazer and close the hatch without any problem. It's roughly 36" wide but again, some of that is material hanging off the side.

The stealth and the non-stealth Blazer both have the same sled.

Offline 32footsteps

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Mar 12, 2019, 12:03 AM »
I’ll be going in the opposite direction....from a one man to a two man.

Currently I have a Frabill Commando. It’s alright but a bit too cramped. The angle of the canvas in front makes it tricky to use longer rods. That is a consideration you need to make when deciding on a one man. Some of them leave you no option but to use shorter rods. Anyway....leaning towards and Eskimo Sierra because the weight compared to the Commando will be similar and the sled footprint will be similar. Twice as much fishable area will be a godsend. 

Offline Uncle Al

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Mar 12, 2019, 06:40 AM »
I made a list of all the shacks listed and their sizes, then looked at the size of the clam guide (same as nanook size wise) that I have now, and most are roughly the same size as the one I have, except the flip is on the end and not the side. I do like how the one man doesn't have extendable poles, and some have HUGE tubs. Mine is only about 10 or 12 inches tall, some singles have 22 and 24in tubs. You can carry alot of stuff in a tub that big. I took one seat out of mine, and attached the other to the middle of the tub so there is a lot of room, but I might take the seat out and just put a seat on a milk crate and free up some room under the seat rails. I like the elbow room I have now, thinking I won't that elbow room in a one man with the flip configuration on the end. I might just keep the one I have, and figure out a way to carry it on my sled. Thanks for all the responses to my question, that's why I like coming in here to ask. Later.

Offline del

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Mar 12, 2019, 05:47 PM »
When I go solo, I have the Shappell Bay Runner. It sets up and tears down fast and easy, moves easily while set, and keeps everything in the tub. My BR is an earlier model with two hinged hatches for the holes. The later model has a single hatch, which I think I would prefer

Offline Uncle Al

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Mar 12, 2019, 07:14 PM »
Guess I don't know what you mean.  You state, going from 2 man to 1 man and you want everything off of the ice and no more towing.  Every one man I know of has to be towed and is on the ice?
I don't want to tow my stuff behind my snowmobile I want it on the sled and not getting beat up from being towed some times 10 miles one way to fish.

Offline jrjach75

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Mar 12, 2019, 09:46 PM »
I don't want to tow my stuff behind my snowmobile I want it on the sled and not getting beat up from being towed some times 10 miles one way to fish.

Like this? I'd guess if you just had the one flipover you'd want it on the back, only problem might be how easy it is to lift on and off that rack.

Offline Uncle Al

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Mar 13, 2019, 06:35 AM »
 jrjach75 That was another thought, At 70yo it's not easy to pick up to many things, especially something you can't get your arms around. I have some ideas for a movable rack that would lock in place on the sled. I've got all summer to think about it. thanks.

Offline Rugburn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Carpeted boat + rough water = RUGBURN
« Reply #12 on: Mar 13, 2019, 08:02 AM »
Yeah, seems like that back rack could be lower.

Offline Uncle Al

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Mar 13, 2019, 08:15 AM »
I use a 2up sled and have thoughts about removing the seat and putting a smaller seat on it, and exposing some of the tunnel to use as a platform to put the shack on.

Offline YoYo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Mar 13, 2019, 09:01 AM »
I'm a bit on the larger side, 6'4" and around 290ish so take this for what it's worth. My one man Clam scout is the bane of my existence. I would much rather have room. I would imagine that even with a smaller person, the one man huts are hard to reach stuff to the sides and behind. Don't get me wrong, it does work, just cramped. I have a smitty sled, so moving it is no problem. Next year it will be a smaller 2 man with a seat taken out.

Offline Uncle Al

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Mar 13, 2019, 09:52 AM »
YoYo, I'm a lot shorter than you and about 50lbs lighter, I had a clam pro for a few years and didn't like the elbow room it offered. I got a clam guide, and put one seat in the middle and had the best one man shanty you could find. I'm thinking about keeping the guide because of the responses I got from this forum and another I belong to. Size wise and weight wise the one man and two man are almost the same, they just have the flip part on a different side. One man being on the end, and the 2 man on the side. Most of the one man don't have telescoping bars, where the 2 man do. Lot of guys b***h about the seats being uncomfortable, both my clams had the same seat, and I liked them. I tell guys to go out fishing and sit on a bucket, you'll find that clam seat very nice to use. I'm also going to get rid of the rails the seat glides on and put a milk crate in it's place with the seat on it. My whole tub is full of milk crates for storage.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.