Author Topic: securing runners to shack  (Read 1822 times)

Offline ride.race.live

• IceShanty Rookie
securing runners to shack
« on: Sep 26, 2019, 12:12 PM »
So long story short.. managed to get some 6x6 posts for free they have seen better days but usable non the less.

trying to think of a way i could secure the ice shack on the 6x6 runners without actually screwing the shack onto them that way come time to change it out... i could simply jack the shack up and swap it out.

or maybe a way that would make it easy to swap out without effecting the frame of the shack too badly

the shack is an 8x8

still need to build in the door frame and window frames (once we find some cheap windows so we can build the frame to size)

but got the basics in place and the framing ready to be set up for windows etc...  our main concern is securing the ski's.    dont want to lag bolt the shack onto them.

Thanks

too add i came across 1 build thread where a guy used steel L brackets on the 4 corners  which seems like a simple and easy solution.

Offline cwavs1982

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: securing runners to shack
« Reply #1 on: Sep 26, 2019, 12:57 PM »
Can you cut a slot in the shack frame and insert flat steel?  Bend the steel down in a "C" shape, and drill some holes in the end?  Then lag screw thru the strapping into the runners?
I do hunt, and I do fish, and I don't apologize to anybody for hunting and fishing - Norman Schwarzkopf

Offline ride.race.live

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Oct 02, 2019, 09:36 AM »
always a potential idea and would be aHD style secure to the ski's

havent done much to the shack yet as were shopping for some windows still also got a pressure tank at my buds thats a welder to see what he can come up with to fab it into a wood stove.

Offline jiggenfrogs

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Oct 11, 2019, 01:05 AM »
skis are the most important part of your build if you plan on hauling it with a machine.  If its in your budget build them once and they should last as long as your shack.  I have used 3/4'' threaded road and fastened them to the shack floor with washers and nuts.  You would need to counter sink the nuts on the bottom so you can cover the ski with UHMW or what ever you plan on using.  If you plan on taking them off then don't cover the nuts in the shack so you can pull them and jack the shack off the skis. 
If you wantah be a fishah you gotah smoke a swishah!

Offline ride.race.live

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Oct 11, 2019, 09:30 AM »
Yea. right now were on the fence of putting the shack on a trailer frame I have at home that needs a new axle.  We have been able to get everything for free for the shack so far including the 6x6 posts we would be using for the ski's.  they SHOULD be good for a solid few years especially with a runner on them....  we were thinking of actually cutting up a plastic bed liner off of an old truck and use that to line the ski's with... (again free)

You dont think 2 steel L brackets per corner would be solid enough to hold the shack in place  with a bulk head at the very front and back to help prevent twisting. ?

Offline tshoudel

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Nov 25, 2019, 09:52 AM »
following
-Sorry but the road less traveled isn't always well paved.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.