Author Topic: Does anyone jig by feel?  (Read 2288 times)

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
Does anyone jig by feel?
« on: Dec 25, 2010, 10:39 AM »
I do a lot of jigging and catch more than my share of fish (perch, sunfish, crappy and all the other fish under the ice), and I do it with the line on my finger tip (pad). I have fished with noodley rods, spring bobbers and other "watch for the bite" type outfits and it’s not my thing… One reason is that I don’t like the hook set with a soft rod.
My current favorite rod is very sensitive as in I can feel a bite, but most of the time I am using my finger to feel the; bite, weight or “lighting” of my jig. My question is; is any one else doing it that way or is it just by line watching or feel of the rod? And before anyone says it, I have no trouble keeping that one finger tip warm…
Thanks

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: Does anyone jig by feel?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 25, 2010, 11:31 AM »
Feel of the rod. Good high quality graphite rod is all you need.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline jmh58

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 25, 2010, 12:04 PM »
I do both ways depending on how I feel.. John
A great rabbit chase ends with a BANG!!  Lookee there....I got a bite!!

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 25, 2010, 03:17 PM »
Mainly finger, manipulate the fine jig action with a finger so it's already there and ready on floro line. Doesn't hurt to be ambidextrous and wearing glomitts. One of many finger sensitive, sight fishing, line watchers with an ultra sensitive spring bobber that reside on this site, whatever it takes type

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #4 on: Dec 25, 2010, 03:42 PM »
Very rare do I need to jig solely by line feedback feel on the finger tip.  There are days that it's the only thing that gets the fish.  So I choose a baitcasting set up to help with that.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline er-e-is

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 25, 2010, 05:37 PM »
Feel of the rod. Good high quality graphite rod is all you need.

+1

Offline deebsey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 25, 2010, 09:03 PM »
My brother inlaw does that all the time even with my good rods.  Make me laugh
;

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #7 on: Dec 25, 2010, 09:52 PM »
Thanks, I have a high end graphite, but I like using my finger and I out fish everone around me...

Offline brown-time

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Jig one up for me
« Reply #8 on: Dec 25, 2010, 10:07 PM »
I set the hook using 3 methods; first, watching the Marcum and setting the hook when the colors change and even before seeing the line twitch, half the time a fish is attached; second, setting at the line movement when the jig takes too long to sink and a fish is at the jig on the flasher; third, on a really light bite I also jig with a loop of line in my left fingers and set the hook with both the rod and popping the line out to the side at the same time.  Very sensitive rods are a given, I love the Frabill's with the woven graphite handle.

Offline Champlain Islander

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Dec 26, 2010, 06:04 AM »
I don't have any problems with just using my rods for either perch or flat fish.
Taught ice fishing for pan fish by one of the best...Art Rye may he RIP

Offline BlueLund

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Dec 26, 2010, 08:52 PM »
    I have had more luck without the rod, and just feeling the jig  ;)
 I use the rod, but when they start biting, I'm hovering over the hole with line in hand.
 Going out tomorrow, can't wait !

Offline Robby

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Dec 28, 2010, 05:49 PM »
Yes.

Offline ice pig 121

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 28, 2010, 05:58 PM »
All the time, then again I don't have any real great rods so maybe that is why.  But with that said i'm real close to pulling the trigger on a Thorn Bros. rod!  Tight lines :tipup:
Tight lines and happy hunting to all! Go Vikings!!

Offline capedeer/fish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Dec 28, 2010, 09:22 PM »
I do both also..and to above poster....... pull the trigger. Th TB's are awesome! :tipup:

Offline stoutbait

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • In ice we trust... sometimes
« Reply #14 on: Dec 30, 2010, 06:15 PM »
Be careful watched a guy jigging for perch slice the tip of his finger pretty badly when a sheepshead took his jig. I love the old fashion spring bobber.
Tight lines and safe fishing.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #15 on: Dec 30, 2010, 08:01 PM »
Be careful watched a guy jigging for perch slice the tip of his finger pretty badly when a sheepshead took his jig. I love the old fashion spring bobber.

LOL's...Did you asked him how did it feel?  ;D  j/k

Offline Bowhunter57

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Dec 30, 2010, 08:34 PM »
I just go with the graphite rod, feel for the strike and watch the line. I don't care to touch the line, for fear the fish would feel the resistance and drop the lure. I do a fairly hard hook set, start reeling a couple of times and feel the fish to see if its' running (big fish) or just stuggling.

Good hunting, Bowhunter57
Anything worth shooting, is worth shooting twice. Ammo is cheap and life is expensive. - USMC

Offline slab_slayer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 03, 2011, 10:26 AM »
It all starts w/ a well balanced rod, reel, line, jig setup. A pencil type grip (Genz style) w/ index finger on the rod & middle finger tip against the line just above the roller on the bail is a great technique for good feel. Keeping yer eyes moving back & forth between the vex and the spring bobber (panfish only) or rod tip helps see the bite. But, the real feel, comes only thru experience. Knowing exactly whats going on with that jig down there. Often enough, my hookset is triggered, not by feeling or seeing the hit, but knowing that something has disrupted what that jig was doing. Sure, ya could call it feel, but my frozen fingers dont always transmit that signal.   
It's not about luck, it's skill & determination

Offline hobobrando

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 03, 2011, 04:03 PM »
I guess I have been doing it wrong all this time  ??? , I hold on to the rod like I do when I'm summer fishing while moving my jig around by having an imaginary sword fight with myself on the ice and when I feel something grab hold I rip up on the rod, reel at top speed, and scream like a little school girl when that dink perch clears the hole  ::) . But I can never understand why I get so many odd looks on the ice?

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #19 on: Jan 03, 2011, 04:10 PM »
I guess I have been doing it wrong all this time  ??? , I hold on to the rod like I do when I'm summer fishing while moving my jig around by having an imaginary sword fight with myself on the ice and when I feel something grab hold I rip up on the rod, reel at top speed, and scream like a little school girl when that dink perch clears the hole  ::) . But I can never understand why I get so many odd looks on the ice?

As long as you're not screaming big fish and then getting like 10-20 people who start moving in on you.  Next thing you'll know is that you turn around to put a fish in your bucket and there's a guy drilling his hole within about two stepping distance of you.  He's close enough to see read your flasher and telling you to be ready to set the hook because the fish is moving towards your lure.  ???

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.