Author Topic: 1st timer: Crane Creek, Perry, or Catawba  (Read 1994 times)

Offline 11yeayoldsDAD

• IceShanty Rookie
1st timer: Crane Creek, Perry, or Catawba
« on: Feb 19, 2015, 10:03 AM »
Making our first ever trip to fish the Erie ice this Saturday.  Been wading through the posts and trying to figure out where our best opportunities would be: Crane Creek, Perry, or Catawba? Driving over 4 hours to get to the lake.  My 11 year old is as pumped as I am to give this a try.  We are adventurous and willing to go the extra mile to find success.  Bringing an ATV and thinking of hooking the trailer we haul it on to the ATV to take gear out on the ice.  Have the rods, hand auger, and shelter with buddy heater.  Trying to find a reasonably priced power auger.  Also, we have never used a flasher before.  We fish for trout on local lakes here (West Virginia).  Is there any place that rents them?  Are there any stores or bait shops along Erie that are preferred for getting equipment, especially lures and minnows?  ANY help is appreciated.  THANKS IN ADVANCE! 

Offline catchinhogs82

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: 1st timer: Crane Creek, Perry, or Catawba
« Reply #1 on: Feb 19, 2015, 11:30 AM »
I haven't been up there for a few weeks. When I was there the launch at perry was almost full by 530 and as far as pimples and cleos get them before you come cause there's probably not many left at the bait shops, good luck.

Offline Colonel Forbin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 19, 2015, 11:48 AM »
Depends on where you want to go out of, Camp Perry if you want to fish Round Reef, D can, E Can, Catawba best for fishing near Green, G and F can. Crane if you want to fish towards West Sister. Seems like here one day gone the next move around till you find fish, since you don't have a fishfinder, pound bottom and try different baits loaded with minnows, don't be afraid to use real small or real big lures with 2-4 minnows.

If you fish Catawba Rickards bait at 53 and 163 across from mcdonalds.  I think Herbs is open this season they are just down the road. I haven't been there yet this season so you may want to call.  If you fish Camp Perry get bait to the west at Maggee East or A & J or at Rickards if you are coming from the east which you should be if coming from wv.

Nobody rents flashers, they are even hard to find to buy right now.

Butch and Denny's is open for bait.
10408 corduroy road
Curtice, Ohio

Wherever you go, get there very early, parking always an issue expecially at catawba,. Guys will be spreading out more now that Crane is fishing but more guys are fishing so either way earlier the better.

Stay on the trail you'll see shanty towns everywhere.

Offline Troll Fishing

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 19, 2015, 11:51 PM »
Gander Mountain has a $50 rebate on Marcum.

Offline Hoosier

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Bucket,some bait and,,what did she ask me to do??
« Reply #4 on: Feb 20, 2015, 05:51 AM »
If you do decide to take a trailer out.
Crane is a decently smooth ride out
Camp is decent too just a longer ride to some more productive water
Catawba is as rough as it gets. you might notice the posts about lost gear are more from Catawba

Offline 11yeayoldsDAD

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 20, 2015, 08:27 AM »
Thank you all for the responses!  Based on Hoosier's post, I'm leaning toward Crane due to (1) towing my trailer (2) productive water closer.  No doubt it is going to be a CHILLING experience for us, especially my son.  Might get on the road later today and try finding lures and bait in/around the area up there. HOPEFUL that we can get onto some eyes or at least some perch!

Offline thebear

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 20, 2015, 08:50 AM »
I'm saying this with your best intentions of safety and families safety in mind. Hire a guide, book a charter, do something OTHER than baptize yourself by fire. If you have NEVER fished erie ice before, I would not recommend just going in blind. Find someone that either is familiar with it and will show you the ropes, or go with a guide or someone. It's not like fishing ponds and lakes. You can go from 15 inches of ice to 4 inches of ice; i've seen it happen. There's cracks, shoves, slush pockets, and all sorts of stuff that can not just ruin a trip but could cost you gear or more.

If you do go, be safe.

Offline eye spy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 20, 2015, 02:33 PM »
I agree with bear. I ran through 2 slush pockets west of a can yesterday and talked to a guy who said he was only sitting on 4" of GOOD ice. Be careful, you never know out there.

Offline guppygetter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 20, 2015, 03:18 PM »
I may be going over tomorrow, ill have an extra vex.with me if i do...ur more than welcome to use it.pm me

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.