Author Topic: Post your ride  (Read 232714 times)

Offline Master Angler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 10" Hole = Less tales of the big one that got away
Re: Post your ride
« Reply #150 on: Jan 16, 2012, 11:18 AM »
07 Toyota Tacoma, 6" Lift, 285 17s - first had BF MT KM2s, then Hankook MTs with studs.  I didn't go overkill on tire size, its a nice balance for offroad and highway driving, and its so light with good clearance bigger tires won't help me much in the mud anyway or on the ice.  I got the lift mostly for icefishing, although it comes in handy for hunting to.  I don't get stuck like I used to with my old truck.   Have a 97 indy trail that I use sometimes at first and last ice, or on lakes where none of us locals drive trucks on (spring fed, sheltered lakes, with unpredictable/thinner ice), but I use the truck to get to my spots about 95% of the time.

Offline pdolewa

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #151 on: Jan 24, 2012, 12:08 AM »
(Image removed from quote.) Here is my new ice fishing rig. Now we just need some ice.

What type of rack is that?

Offline stevek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • STKA (MHF)
« Reply #152 on: Jan 24, 2012, 08:13 AM »
Looks like an off the shelf cargo rack on a 2" receiver. Like these http://www.etrailer.com/Cargo-Carriers

Offline Chris Raymond

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lifelong Outdoorsman
« Reply #153 on: Jan 24, 2012, 08:30 PM »
This is still a work in progress but this year I wanted to get as much gear over suspension and as little in either cargo or tent sleds as possible.  I will still daisy chain two sleds (one cargo and the tent that you see here) if I'm fishing with somebody else and need to haul their gear.  The front box required that I put an extended rack to the front for the auger.  I made the extension removeable as I didn't want to deal with road salt on the bike and trailer with it covered.  I still don't quite have the auger rack the way I want it though, it needs to be mounted a little be better to the bike's rack so as to prevent the twisting you see on the drill side.  It's efficient and organized...but still a work in progress. 

Chris Raymond

Offline jon johnson

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "He says you fish poorly."
« Reply #154 on: Jan 26, 2012, 08:35 AM »

1993 Polaris Trail Boss 250 4x4----Great little ride for getting around on the lake!
Clam Thermal X--Ski Doo Summit---Vexilar FL-12

Offline jon johnson

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "He says you fish poorly."
« Reply #155 on: Jan 26, 2012, 08:37 AM »
Sorry....how do I resize pictures?
Clam Thermal X--Ski Doo Summit---Vexilar FL-12

Offline iwantone2.4

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #156 on: Jan 26, 2012, 08:46 AM »

Getting their.

On ice

When luck becomes habit it turns into skill

Offline MikeInMI

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #157 on: Feb 03, 2012, 10:38 AM »

Here's my rig this year.   it's a work in progress.  I've since acquired some tire chains and bucket hangers for the rear.   
I do many things well...none of which generate income.

Offline vtshantyman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • grab your rod and get jiggy with it
« Reply #158 on: Feb 03, 2012, 11:02 AM »
(Image removed from quote.)

Here's my rig this year.   it's a work in progress.  I've since acquired some tire chains and bucket hangers for the rear.   

hey now thats pretty slick did you build or buy the ski mounts becuose i may have to build the same kinda set up also how is it in deep snow?

Offline MikeInMI

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #159 on: Feb 03, 2012, 12:05 PM »
hey now that's pretty slick did you build or buy the ski mounts because i may have to build the same kinda set up also how is it in deep snow?

I bought the mounts.   I found the instructions online and bought all the parts off of eBay.   (Cost can vary depending on what's available at the time you look.)

I have not tried it in too deep of snow yet.  I did get it stuck in about 8" of snow on the lake but I think that was due to digging down to the ice and losing traction.   That's when I decided to order some tire chains.     Some people use snowmobile studs, and that would be a better choice for faster riding but I didn't want to invest that much into it at this point.

if you can weld or have some metal skills I don't think it would be too difficult to fabricate a set.  It is basically two pieces of angle steel bolted together and drilled at the top to match the lug pattern of my quad and drilled at the bottom to mate up to a set of Ski Doo Precision Skis.

It seems to work well and allows me to save a little more before buying a new 4x4.
I do many things well...none of which generate income.

Offline vtshantyman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • grab your rod and get jiggy with it
« Reply #160 on: Feb 03, 2012, 03:45 PM »
thanks i do love the consept i have a honda 250 recon that i put chains on and it works pretty good but i just need the front to float on top of the snow more so i will have to hunt around a see just what i have kicking around

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #161 on: Feb 03, 2012, 03:55 PM »
I bought the mounts.   I found the instructions online and bought all the parts off of eBay.   (Cost can vary depending on what's available at the time you look.)

I have not tried it in too deep of snow yet.  I did get it stuck in about 8" of snow on the lake but I think that was due to digging down to the ice and losing traction.   That's when I decided to order some tire chains.     Some people use snowmobile studs, and that would be a better choice for faster riding but I didn't want to invest that much into it at this point.

if you can weld or have some metal skills I don't think it would be too difficult to fabricate a set.  It is basically two pieces of angle steel bolted together and drilled at the top to match the lug pattern of my quad and drilled at the bottom to mate up to a set of Ski Doo Precision Skis.

It seems to work well and allows me to save a little more before buying a new 4x4.

You can get ice screws for in your tires - less that a set a chains and they work really well.  Had them in my 4X4 for two ice seasons before I went to tracks.  I think I can find the order info - if you are interested - PM me.

Offline stevek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • STKA (MHF)
« Reply #162 on: Feb 06, 2012, 08:35 AM »
Finally got a pick of my ride on the ice.

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #163 on: Feb 06, 2012, 03:12 PM »
Nice!! My sled right now is a 600lb boat anchor! Not enough snow for me at all.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline nd_guy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #164 on: Feb 06, 2012, 04:56 PM »
Here is my 95 jag. Two years ago I built the auger rack and last year added the luggage rack. They are both are secured with quick pins and removable in 30 seconds. The auger mount is solid and I trailer with the auger on it. The lake was empty yesterday and I put on over 25miles trying new spots but no fish.

Damn, my auger screw is rusty.

Offline laclabiche walleye hunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #165 on: Feb 06, 2012, 10:01 PM »
Nice set up love the auger rack

Offline bogmanjr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Don't Tread on Me.
« Reply #166 on: Feb 07, 2012, 05:19 AM »
Pure Polaris trip Steve.... ;D

Offline stevek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • STKA (MHF)
« Reply #167 on: Feb 07, 2012, 06:27 AM »
I was going to put that pic on their fan page. Didn't realize they were both Polari until much later. I forgot to have Heather get a ride in the RZR. She's going to want a second sled/quad, told her she might like the side by side. Have to have her check it out this summer.

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #168 on: Feb 07, 2012, 08:32 AM »
nd_guy,  Nice set-up and well done.
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline downriverbob

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #169 on: Feb 10, 2012, 01:05 PM »
This is my 1997 Polaris Indy 500 Tour, I installed a cargo carrier and the back and Stearns® Mad Dog Gear® Ice Auger Carrier on the rack.  I put ski skins on last year and adjusted the low end on the sled.  I also installed down hill skis on my magnun Otter sled.

BOB

“If our father had had his way, nobody who did not know how to fish would be allowed to disgrace a fish by catching him.”

Norman Maclean

Offline hickgtx600f4

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #170 on: Feb 10, 2012, 07:14 PM »
our 2007 club cart with zip screws in the tires for traction. first time out on the ice with it today. batteries held up well.  ;D

My Biggest worry is that when I'm dead and gone, my wife will sell my gear for what i said i paid for it.

Offline jasonmichalski

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #171 on: Feb 14, 2012, 09:48 AM »
1995 Polaris scrambler 400cc 4x4 2 stroke with dirt devils on the front and bear claws on the back. I pull a lot of equipment out and passinger on a steel dog sled, but with this crazy year and spoty snow and slush on the ice I decided to pull the viking sled instead. I bought it for $3000.00 in 2002 and put the tires and front rack on. I have never had to put a dime in it since then, except for general maintenance.

P2121271 by jasonmichalski, on Flickr
Before that I had a 1987 Polaris Cyclone 250x 2x4 had that from 1992 till 2003.
 ;D

FRESHBAIT

« Reply #172 on: Feb 20, 2012, 06:06 PM »
With no snow on the ground, this was my mode of transportation today to make a quick fishing trip down to our pond. 

Loaded all the gear in the bucket and drove down through the back forty, didn't take it out on the ice just b/c I didn't want to risk my baby falling through the ice. 

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #173 on: Feb 20, 2012, 07:48 PM »
With no snow on the ground, this was my mode of transportation today to make a quick fishing trip down to our pond. 

Loaded all the gear in the bucket and drove down through the back forty, didn't take it out on the ice just b/c I didn't want to risk my baby falling through the ice.

Is your "baby" the little one standing next to the tractor, or is it the tractor?

MD

FRESHBAIT

« Reply #174 on: Feb 20, 2012, 08:15 PM »
Maybe I shoulda said my babies...   Don't want either one going through the ice.  But yes,  the little one in the orange. 

Offline Big Burk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • wishin I was fishin
« Reply #175 on: Feb 21, 2012, 03:30 PM »
With no snow this year the sleds haven'left the garage (1997 polaris rmk 700 modded right out, 1978 kawasaki intruder 440) and haven't bothered to take trikes (2 1983 honda 200e's, 1984 honda 200s) out since the ice has been thick enough to drive on. Also have the 8x8 argo project I'm rebuilding with a diesel motor transplant. And my truck is a 2006 f150 with 35" nitto mud grapplers, 2" lift and some modifications I keep secret, have yet to get it stuck since put new tires on and we go wheeling all the time year round.

Offline rabcon

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #176 on: Feb 21, 2012, 07:52 PM »

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #177 on: Feb 21, 2012, 09:11 PM »
With no snow this year the sleds haven'left the garage (1997 polaris rmk 700 modded right out, 1978 kawasaki intruder 440) and haven't bothered to take trikes (2 1983 honda 200e's, 1984 honda 200s) out since the ice has been thick enough to drive on. Also have the 8x8 argo project I'm rebuilding with a diesel motor transplant. And my truck is a 2006 f150 with 35" nitto mud grapplers, 2" lift and some modifications I keep secret, have yet to get it stuck since put new tires on and we go wheeling all the time year round.

Hummmm...diesel transplant....interest ing exhaust pipe on that Ford......

Offline skidooguy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FLAAAAAGGGG!!!!!!
« Reply #178 on: Feb 23, 2012, 01:14 PM »
My '89 Skidoo Cheyanne 500

And my first sled ever, which I will hopefully finnish someday, my '72 skid doo olympique 300.

Also known as Rebel16 on MYFISHFINDER.COM

Registered Maine Guide

Offline DanDANthefisherman1

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Live to fish
« Reply #179 on: Feb 23, 2012, 10:43 PM »

Let me know how the diesel transplant goes for you. Do you get on 6x6 ?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.