Author Topic: Burbot Bash  (Read 1734 times)

Offline phishinphool

• IceShanty Rookie
  • I love to fish when it's rainin, and when it isnt.
Burbot Bash
« on: Nov 30, 2012, 10:37 AM »
OMG... I can't frikin wait!!! I am sooooo looking forward to the Burbot Bash this year! Who and how many of you are going up this year? If you are planning on headin up, where do you plan on fishing?
I already know you (musky46) and fishon1 are going, I know it's in my name... but I'm no phishinphool  ;)
And, also... if you have never been to this tournament, I highly suggest you find out some information and join us... it is a TON OF FUN on the hard deck!!!

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Wishin I was Fishin><{}:>
Re: Burbot Bash
« Reply #1 on: Nov 30, 2012, 10:50 AM »
There is a little info on it in the Utah tourney & events list thread at the top of the Utah home page.
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline Utahman22

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 03, 2012, 07:30 AM »
I will be attending for sure!!  ;D just bought me a new tent and will be tring it out at the bash! what day do you guys head up on?

Offline phishinphool

• IceShanty Rookie
  • I love to fish when it's rainin, and when it isnt.
« Reply #3 on: Dec 03, 2012, 08:30 AM »
Most likely that Thursday night before the Friday start time.  Good luck and hope to see you up there out on the ice!

Offline k2muskie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 03, 2012, 08:39 PM »
Looks like a post I made about Mercury Levels at Flaming Gorge was deleted...so I cut and selectively pasted from what I posted.  Guess links to other threads aren't allowed...

So for those of you fishing the soft or hard water and if you're concerned about Mercury...may want to read and be put on notice...

...and I quote....

"KSL Outdoors has learned of elevated mercury levels in fish at Flaming Gorge (Home of the annual Burbot Bash)

According to recent sampling conducted by the Wyoming Game and Fish Department, there are some species of fish with mercury levels high enough to warrant consumption guidelines. In Flaming Gorge reservoir, large lake trout, large smallmouth bass and larger burbot have elevated levels of mercury. Large burbot, those thirty inches and above tested the highest in elevated mercury levels. Mercury levels are usually found the highest in fish that feed on other fish and are usually the highest in bigger, older fish.
In the coming weeks, the Wyoming Department of Health and the Wyoming Game and Fish will release an advisory that deals with consumption of fish for those caught in Flaming Gorge Reservoir.

The guidelines they’ll recommend are; pregnant women, nursing mothers, women of child bearing age and kids under 15 should limit their consumption of burbot under 25 inches to 4 meals per month. Women and children should avoid eating burbot from Flaming Gorge that are larger than 30 inches.

The advisory will also urge people to balance the health benefits of eating fish. As fish are high in protein and other nutrients, low in fat, and have omega-3 fatty acids needed for healthy heart and brain development.

We’ll have more on KSL Outdoors, this Saturday on not only the mercury issues with the fish at the gorge, but we’ll also talk to biologists about their recent trend netting survey on burbot. In some parts of the reservoir, biologists are seeing as much as a 60% increase! We’ll also have some information on this years Burbot Bash." Unquote   :) :)

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Dec 03, 2012, 10:00 PM »
This has been a pretty hot topic of discussion for us in utah and our neighbors to the NE. So much for eating the ones over 30in. In big quantities atleast  :'( as for post being removed, its against site rules to post links to other fishin sites and the mods have to do their job. I was gonna copy and paste some of the write up myself to get it out on here, but it appears you got it goin on K2. Now what am I going to do with all the 30in burb fillets in the freezer  ??? Jk
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline fishonone

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • lets get it on
« Reply #6 on: Dec 03, 2012, 10:09 PM »
o well i guess i will glow ;D ;D ;D

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Dec 03, 2012, 10:17 PM »
 :roflmao: :sick: :roflmao: :sick: :roflmao: yes we will
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline Utahman22

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 04, 2012, 07:11 AM »
o well i guess i will glow ;D ;D ;D
HAHAHA

Offline fairweatherman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 10, 2012, 09:39 PM »
I will be there for sure what time Friday do you start fishing and how do I enter?

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #10 on: Dec 11, 2012, 06:53 AM »
I will be there for sure what time Friday do you start fishing and how do I enter?

The tournament starts around 5pm on friday, they will have a link up soon to enter online or you can enter on friday at any of the weigh stations. We usually register at buckboard on friday morning then go get setup and try our luck chasing some lakers till the tourney starts. As soon as there is more info available i will get it to hoosier to update the post on the tourney and events thread on the top of the utah board
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline fairweatherman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Dec 11, 2012, 07:27 AM »
Thanks alot I look forward to going this year

Offline fishonone

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • lets get it on
« Reply #12 on: Dec 11, 2012, 07:16 PM »
o ya can not wait to head up to the bash ;D

Offline Crappielover89

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Jan 01, 2013, 02:24 PM »
Never been to the bash. I have always wanted too..... Is it worth the trip to go up? Do you all stay the night on the ice get a room in town or camp at the camp grounds?

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #14 on: Jan 01, 2013, 03:41 PM »
Is it worth the trip to go up? Do you all stay the night on the ice get a room in town or camp at the camp grounds?

1st welcome to the shanty crappielover, yes it is worth the trip but it does take some time on the gorge and reading up on these burbot. This will be my 3rd year and still lots to learn. We do stay on the ice when scouting for a place to put the trailer for the bash. The conditions change every year(ice &snow). So finding a good spot for the trailer is a must before you go dragging one around there. There is places to stay in manilla and green river but we prefer the trailer as close to where we are fishing as possible  :thumbsup: from the way its going the ice should be well past buckboard and into big bend by the bash  :bow: :bow: The lower the ice goes the better the trailer spots get and more 
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline Crappielover89

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Jan 01, 2013, 04:51 PM »
This might be something I might just have to do. I have heard its the best and a great experience. Thanks again for great info muskyon appreciate it!!

Offline fishonone

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • lets get it on
« Reply #16 on: Jan 01, 2013, 10:01 PM »
ya the bash is a great time and they are great eating, and welcome to IS

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.