Author Topic: Tangled Transducer  (Read 4315 times)

Offline fishingaddiction

• IceShanty Rookie
Tangled Transducer
« on: Dec 23, 2021, 12:04 AM »
I'm tired of always getting fish tangled in my transducer cable. This is way too frequent with bluegills as they seem to spin in circles as they fight. Has anyone invented a retractable spring loaded transducer reel where I could kick a lever and have the transducer out of the way after I hook a fish? Does this exist? Have any of you tried to build such a thing? Thoughts?

Offline skifisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Tangled Transducer
« Reply #1 on: Dec 23, 2021, 12:16 AM »
It only takes a few seconds to pull your transducer up and out of the way when you hook a fish.
Anything more than that seems unnecessary to me! Good Fishing! Ski
"Ice fishing...ah, the anticipation! 🎣”

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #2 on: Dec 23, 2021, 02:26 AM »
I never built one, but I always thought of stealing that little flipping lid trash can and stepping on the foot pedal and the lid flips open, but attached the transducer cord to the lid.  Flipped and poof.  ;D

Just one more thing to bring out.  But extra hole worked better for me, so benched the idea.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline threewack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 23, 2021, 04:50 AM »
I always punch two holes one for line one for flasher.been working great for me for the last fifteen years.

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 23, 2021, 06:36 AM »
I seem to remember seeing something like this last year.................. .....................c an't remember where or any details though! Might have been one of the Flasher Manufacturers?  ???
Where's the FISH?!

Offline Ice_Fly_Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Dec 23, 2021, 07:06 AM »
Look into transducer arms.  That solves the problem for the most part.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline RStock521

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 23, 2021, 07:25 AM »
Drill 2 holes.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #8 on: Dec 23, 2021, 07:34 AM »
Or just pull the ducer on the bigger fish.its caveman simple.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #9 on: Dec 23, 2021, 09:19 AM »

Acronym "KISS"      ::)
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #10 on: Dec 23, 2021, 09:24 AM »
I always punch two holes one for line one for flasher.been working great for me for the last fifteen years.

x2
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Online filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #11 on: Dec 23, 2021, 09:36 AM »

X3

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 23, 2021, 09:41 AM »
2nd hole for me as well...
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline Ice_Fly_Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Dec 23, 2021, 09:43 AM »
What about when hole hopping?  No one makes two holes for every spot when they're searching.  Get a transducer arm.

Offline threewack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 23, 2021, 11:17 AM »
Ill drill a extra hole if Im hole hopping if I find fish no biggy! :)

Offline Ice_Fly_Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Dec 23, 2021, 01:24 PM »
Ill drill a extra hole if Im hole hopping if I find fish no biggy! :)

Well sure, once you find fish, you may make a 2nd.  But you still have just one hole in each spot if you're hopping around.  The only time I stay in one spot is if the fishing is fantastic in that one spot for a length of time, which is rare.  Or if it's too cold to move around a lot.  Otherwise I'm mobile.  I got a transducer arm mainly because dealing with the hanging cord from hole to hole is annoying and eventually probably detrimental to the lifespan of the transducer.

Offline threewack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 23, 2021, 02:02 PM »
Its been working great for me no issues! :) :)

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Dec 23, 2021, 02:35 PM »
No one makes two holes for every spot when they're searching. 

Ummm, it would appear that 80% of the guys on this thread do... Glad the arm works for you, but there's more than one way to skin a cat...

If anyone is familiar with Josh from PigPatrol on youtube they'll know you can also kick your flasher away from the hole and the ducer will follow it lol... Not recommended but I've seen him do it a 100 times.
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline Ice_Fly_Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Dec 23, 2021, 02:56 PM »
Ok have fun with that, then!

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Where's the FISH?!

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Dec 23, 2021, 07:08 PM »
Easy to just pull the ducer.

Offline fishingaddiction

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Dec 23, 2021, 10:29 PM »
Ok. Thanks all. I am using an LX5 with a transducer arm. The transducer on that machine is pretty wide. I've always set it up so the ducer is just below the bottom of the hole - maybe that's my problem. For those who use the barely wet transducer technique, do you have any problems seeing details when the ice is thick, say 20+ inches? I tried that once when I first got the machine and didn't feel like I was seeing small jigs real well.

For those that say just pull the ducer... yes, that works. I certainly do that on bigger fish. But, I've lost quite a few fish when the tension comes off the line when I quit reeling to grab the ducer. And,  if your on a good bluegill bite, constantly pulling the transducer gets old too.

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #22 on: Dec 24, 2021, 08:13 AM »
kinda depends on ice quality.  if the ice is milky it wont work so well. you can however drill a few inches down and use some minnow water.  milky ice has too much air in it i believe?
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline KingPerch

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Dec 24, 2021, 08:25 AM »
I drill 3 holes, in a straight line left to right. Put the transducer in the center hole, at the bottom of the ice. The outer holes are for jigging. I use one rod, leave the other rod dangling the lure in the water. Always keeps a second bait ready for battle. This setup works for me fishing perch and walleye.
“Saving the perch population, one walleye at a time”-reeleyz 2021

Don’t worry Freddie, Hot bite is at 11:00!!😜

Offline Fisherman 1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish..the other white meat
« Reply #24 on: Dec 24, 2021, 09:58 AM »
By the time you activate the FOB to retract the transducer and then have to pay attention to it flopping around on the pulley, the fish will be gone. 

Offline maddogg

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Dec 24, 2021, 11:08 AM »
Ok. Thanks all. I am using an LX5 with a transducer arm. The transducer on that machine is pretty wide. I've always set it up so the ducer is just below the bottom of the hole - maybe that's my problem. For those who use the barely wet transducer technique, do you have any problems seeing details when the ice is thick, say 20+ inches? I tried that once when I first got the machine and didn't feel like I was seeing small jigs real well.

For those that say just pull the ducer... yes, that works. I certainly do that on bigger fish. But, I've lost quite a few fish when the tension comes off the line when I quit reeling to grab the ducer. And,  if your on a good bluegill bite, constantly pulling the transducer gets old too.

What he said works for me.

Offline Ice_Fly_Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Dec 28, 2021, 09:55 AM »
What is the difference in doing that or merely pulling your transducer out of the hole?

Because I haven't had any trouble with putting my transducer right at the top of the hole, just barely in the water.  No need to lift anything up at all, then.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #27 on: Dec 28, 2021, 10:00 AM »
I guess I don't know the significance of the transducer arm.  Basically, it is an arm that the transducer is connected to so when you hook a fish you grab your flasher and pick it up, pulling your transducer out of the water.  What is the difference in doing that or merely pulling your transducer out of the hole?  You still have to bend over and grab something other than the fish and I'd rather pull up a lightweight transducer than the heavier flasher, every time I hook a fish.  For me, I either drill two holes or bend down and grab the transducer and pull it out of the hole.   I did mount an eyebolt on the side of the five gallon bucket, that I sit my flasher on.  I don't like the flasher setting on the ice because my neck gets sore from continually looking down, so I sit the flasher on an upside down bucket.  Well, I mounted an eyebolt onto the side of the bucket that I run my ducer cable through then plug it into the flasher.  Doing so eliminates how much I have to bend over to get to the ducer cord.  I merely reach out and grab it, instead of bending over.

Agree with this, and like the eyebolt idea. I have trouble bending over too, and anything that helps is good.
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #28 on: Dec 28, 2021, 10:25 AM »
Use an arm to hold the cable, and keep the ducer up against the side of the hole. This will stop 90% of the would-be tangles.

If im fishing bluegills and not hole hopping, i usually drill a second hole.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #29 on: Dec 28, 2021, 05:12 PM »

This.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.