Author Topic: Tip up line color  (Read 5342 times)

Offline lake snake

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Tip up line color
« on: Oct 09, 2008, 09:48 PM »
  I have a question for you guys. What color line do you use on your tip ups?  Sand, black, or green ? I am curious if one color is better than the others. I have sand on mine, but am thinking of changing to black, thinking that would dissapear better than sand. Thanks for any input.

Offline miket.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ICE IS NICE
Re: Tip up line color
« Reply #1 on: Oct 09, 2008, 10:25 PM »
 ever since i have been ice fishing, i have been using Andy 8lb. test on my tip-ups. i usually by the spool and it has quite a bit of line to work with.i preffer the green line over all. this is great stuff!!!
hard core fanatic  Http:
http://timeanddate.com/s/1a9j

Offline tarbot

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Oct 09, 2008, 10:54 PM »
I use a dark maroon color with 3' of 10lb mono on the end.

Offline GotEmHooked

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Oct 09, 2008, 11:58 PM »
I use the good ol 20lb black braided nylon...... I may need to lighten er up to 15 thou...any suggestions on LB test?...

Offline scavengerj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warm hands, warm feet and tight lines!
« Reply #4 on: Oct 10, 2008, 04:32 AM »
When using tip-ups I am usually fishing in weeds, so I prefer to use 20# to 30# black for the main line. And like tarbot, I'll tie on about a 3' length of leader, but I'll use 20# fluoro or wire. Not sure when using a leader if the main line color makes any difference.
DMS #525
AMSA #1102
OBPA
RFA #1053456E

Offline fisherman58

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Oct 10, 2008, 04:49 AM »
i like the sand line so you can see witch way its going

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
« Reply #6 on: Oct 10, 2008, 04:53 AM »
i like the sand line so you can see witch way its going

yep me too...i like to know where the fish is going. i always used the sand colored dacron but recently switched to flourescent orange fused dacron...nice and bright so i can see it and doesnt absorb water  ;)

Offline scavengerj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warm hands, warm feet and tight lines!
« Reply #7 on: Oct 10, 2008, 07:34 AM »
What brand of fused Dacron is in the orange color billditrite? I've always used the black so I could see the coils on the ice better, but I like the thought of something in a bright orange.
DMS #525
AMSA #1102
OBPA
RFA #1053456E

Trooper Bri

« Reply #8 on: Oct 10, 2008, 04:55 PM »
I use the same orange Dacron braid to spool my tipups too. Great stuff. Easy to see where your fish is running, plus it lasts forever. Zero memory, and you can step on it and pull it up off the ice when it freezes or snags and not have to worry.
I bring them inside the house to dry out after fishing, and repack the line i used on the spools. When frozen, it doesn't wind up on the spool quite as tight as mono or fluoro.

Supposedly it's used as fly line backing if that helps find a brand name(s). The shop i frequent has it on a bulk rolls in multiple colors, and i never bothered asking. Although, i'll be there tomorrow morning and try to remember to ask what brand they use.

Offline beeverfishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac

Offline Curley

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #10 on: Oct 16, 2008, 06:30 AM »
I'm with Brian on this one, although my choice is chartruse. Really cool on black ice watching the line lead to the fish. Ct. outfitters, the sponsor of the New England section will ship if you want it, and cant get it.

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #11 on: Oct 16, 2008, 07:16 AM »
I have always used black, but then again that is all the local shops sell, Im goign to have to check into some of these other colours

Offline miket.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ICE IS NICE
« Reply #12 on: Oct 16, 2008, 07:17 AM »
green seems to be the less visable to me and also works great!
hard core fanatic  Http:
http://timeanddate.com/s/1a9j

Offline 7 plus larry

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • IF THEY CALLED IT CATCHING EVERYONE WOULD DO IT!
« Reply #13 on: Nov 03, 2008, 08:24 AM »
  I have a question for you guys. What color line do you use on your tip ups?  Sand, black, or green ? I am curious if one color is better than the others. I have sand on mine, but am thinking of changing to black, thinking that would dissapear better than sand. Thanks for any input.
Iuse all colors and dont see much of a dif. if they are hungry they will take it.

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #14 on: Nov 03, 2008, 08:39 AM »
Always used the 50lb green, waxed nylon "rope" stuff with an 18" steel leader.  Now use a 35lb green-dot white dacron line.  It's smaller dia. and I can get more line on my spools.  :)

Offline ChillerThriller

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Nov 17, 2008, 12:24 AM »
i use western filament braided dacron. its white with green wrapped into it. Does the job and is easy to see in the hole. Since it is white you can color it off every like 5 feet if you want so you know how much line you have out. its good stuff. The flyline backing has a wax coating i believe and is thinner than braided dacron i believe. Its a good choice because it repels water so it doesnt absorb and freeze. Just put on a 3 foot leader of something clear like fluoro or mono with a swivel attatched to it and your golden. Ive been using the white stuff for years and it doesnt seem to matter to the fishies.

Offline flyman1002

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Nov 17, 2008, 06:21 AM »
Used to use black for years but a few years I switched to Power pro and so far I like it.  With my tipdown I don't really fish my tip ups as much anymore. 

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #17 on: Nov 17, 2008, 07:25 AM »
I use florescent orange  30 lb flyline backing  on my heritage lakers  so far so good!
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline BlueDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Nov 22, 2008, 10:14 AM »
I use most any of the 20 - 30 lb test dacron line for the filler and add exactly 10' of mono for a leader.  I fish trout alot at 8 to 10 feet and the 10' length of mono lets me find the right depth quickly.  If Im fishing much deeper I use a button or small split shot as a marker.

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
« Reply #19 on: Nov 22, 2008, 10:19 AM »
45# black dacron.
 T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Offline MACK_USCG

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Trout Assassin!
« Reply #20 on: Dec 23, 2008, 10:17 AM »
http://www.jacktraps.com/store.php/products/ice-fishing-line---450-ft-spool
Thanks for this link.  I just bought 3 spools of the neon green and will be putting 225ft on all of my new HT Explorer Magnums.  I've been looking all over for this type of line.

Thanks Again,
Mack

Offline Sturno

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Jan 04, 2009, 05:52 PM »
I use Cortland's Camo-Braid on my 3 BD's. Changes colors every so often and I'll tie on a leader depending on the situation. I have 30# on those 3 and 20# on my other 3 Frabill Thermals.

"Assumption is the mother of all screw-ups."

Offline GotEmHooked

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Jan 06, 2009, 11:40 AM »
Used to use black for years but a few years I switched to Power pro and so far I like it.  With my tipdown I don't really fish my tip ups as much anymore. 

i have a arctic warrior that i believe is a tip down and have no idea how to set it up...can anyone help me out?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.