Author Topic: Tip up setup  (Read 2375 times)

Offline pdbjr1

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Yeah I'm a redneck, I could ice fish for a living.
Tip up setup
« on: Jan 04, 2009, 05:49 PM »
I fish for mostly pickerel, perch and walleye.  I fish with the same group of guys forever and we all have the same setup.  Tip-up line, leader and hook.  I am wondering if anyone else does something different.  Also what size hooks are you guys using?  I have been ice fishing for a while and am looking for anything anyone does.  IE.  My father will bring a regular pole on the ice, put a spoon on the pole and hook a minnow to it and lots of times he catches one or two nice size pickerels.

Heaven is a Jack and Coke in one hand, a jig pole in the other and being surrounded by the ones that don't mind you do both.

Offline holeinhide

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • have ice will fish!!
Re: Tip up setup
« Reply #1 on: Jan 05, 2009, 08:09 AM »
This is the rig I use for pickerel, pike and musky. It is built on 30 lb floro leader with a 2/0 main hook and a #2 treble stinger. I find that the blade and bead combo adds that extra flash to convince them they just need to eat it. As for the walleye and perch I use just plane floro leader in 6# and a no. 8 hook. I find eyes tend to shy away from the extra flash of a blade and the rig is just too big for perch.

Offline pdbjr1

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Yeah I'm a redneck, I could ice fish for a living.
« Reply #2 on: Jan 05, 2009, 12:43 PM »
Seems like a good setup and even adds the flash that my father has also.  Maybe I will give it a shot on one of the tipups.

Heaven is a Jack and Coke in one hand, a jig pole in the other and being surrounded by the ones that don't mind you do both.

Offline Sturno

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 06, 2009, 10:28 PM »
This is the rig I use for pickerel, pike and musky. It is built on 30 lb floro leader with a 2/0 main hook and a #2 treble stinger. I find that the blade and bead combo adds that extra flash to convince them they just need to eat it. As for the walleye and perch I use just plane floro leader in 6# and a no. 8 hook. I find eyes tend to shy away from the extra flash of a blade and the rig is just too big for perch.

(Image removed from quote.)

That's almost identical to what I do on one or two of the three I'm allowed here in WI. Usually I'll try 2 different colored blades to see which gets the nod, and if that seems to be the answer...I'll switch. I've put the blade up the line a time or two in dingy water and it seemed to work a tad bit better. I use a couple less beads, but I'll add a Northland Rattle jig bead tube thru the stinger and when the shiner's tail is dancing....there's rattle beads clinking together. My not so secret weapon is out of the bag....

I'll try to edit later and add a pic.
"Assumption is the mother of all screw-ups."

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.