Author Topic: Just Curious - Salmon  (Read 3508 times)

Offline FSH4FN

• Team IceShanty Regular
Just Curious - Salmon
« on: Jan 20, 2020, 03:20 PM »
Curiosity was peaking today, probably from the lack of ice fishing the last few weeks...

Obviously, we have our laws here in New Hampshire regarding salmon during the ice fishing season but I am noticing other states where people ice fish for salmon and take them through during the season. Bored and browsing other forums for different states.

Is it because of the type of salmon we have in New Hampshire?

Is it because of the quality of fishery for salmon in New Hampshire... not a strong enough fishery to support it?

Really just a genuine thought about it. In brainstorming, I thought maybe it had to do with the type of salmon or because we don't have the type of salmon fisheries that other states have.

Anyone thought about this before or know why?

Not looking to change anything because I support not taking them through the ice and supporting the growth and spawning season but just wondering why other states choose to...

Chad

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Just Curious - Salmon
« Reply #1 on: Jan 20, 2020, 03:41 PM »
The NH salmon are there for the rich folks with their expensive boats. F&G doesn't want the winter slobs to put a dent in the population.

Offline Brownbagger247

• Team IceShanty Regular
How's the ice they all ask? "I’ll tell you what, you can get a good look at a t-bone by sticking your head up a bull’s butt, but I’d rather take the butcher’s word for it."

Offline FSH4FN

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 20, 2020, 03:48 PM »
https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=101599.0

Thank you for the link... there’s definitely some interesting thoughts thrown out there on that thread.

Offline TheCrittaC

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Set the hook!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 20, 2020, 04:12 PM »
The NH salmon are there for the rich folks with their expensive boats. F&G doesn't want the winter slobs to put a dent in the population.
I think this is pretty much it.

Offline Dickbakers

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 20, 2020, 04:52 PM »
I catch Winni salmon out of my old Starcraft ($3000 +-).  How much does a wheeler or snow machine cost to fish Winni?.
Winning salmon fishing is far better than Maine or Vermont.
I don't think NH biologists care much about politics or rich fishermen.
Dick

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 20, 2020, 05:18 PM »
this maybe true but another reason is that there is not enough wild salmon reproduction like there is in Maine. They are very easy to catch in the winter. Other reason is valid too but think its more a supply issue.
Salmonemia

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Jan 20, 2020, 05:21 PM »
this maybe true but another reason is that there is not enough wild salmon reproduction like there is in Maine. They are very easy to catch in the winter. Other reason is valid too but think its more a supply issue.

Agreed, I feel I could personally crash a salmon pop in the smaller lakes single handedly if targeting
You count your years by the Winters.

It’s not being Cocky if you can back it up.

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 20, 2020, 05:26 PM »
Agreed, I feel I could personally crash a salmon pop in the smaller lakes single handedly if targeting
true I mean in Maine there is a 4 fish limit and it comes fast. I know guys that ice fish everyday 2 salmon a day say during the derby would do some real damage.
Salmonemia

Offline FSH4FN

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 20, 2020, 05:43 PM »

Some great feedback and an interesting perspective on the ease of catch during the winter.

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 20, 2020, 05:50 PM »
I've caught plenty of salmon from shore, especially early season,  also caught my share trolling  the edge of the ice with a canoe.(a 1965 Grumman, handed down from.my Dad) .. personally,  I enjoy the opening day aspect... if/ when I hook a salmon through the ice, I still get the best part, the fight, the fish gets the release of life  and I get the thrill of battle, we both win... white perch taste better anyway.
"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline FSH4FN

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 20, 2020, 05:52 PM »
I've caught plenty of salmon from shore, especially early season,  also caught my share trolling  the edge of the ice with a canoe.(a 1965 Grumman, handed down from.my Dad) .. personally,  I enjoy the opening day aspect... if/ when I hook a salmon through the ice, I still get the best part, the fight, the fish gets the release of life  and I get the thrill of battle, we both win... white perch taste better anyway.

Definitely agree with that... white perch are my favorite coming through the ice!

Offline zwiggles

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 20, 2020, 05:56 PM »
true I mean in Maine there is a 4 fish limit and it comes fast. I know guys that ice fish everyday 2 salmon a day say during the derby would do some real damage.

And some lakes have similar refs to ours. No salon through the ice etc.

Offline Dipstick

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ( jigging Joe)
« Reply #13 on: Jan 20, 2020, 05:59 PM »
They're wayyyy too easy through the ice... I mean a buddy told me that. But on a serious note, I don't think our small NH lakes dont have the reproductive means/support. In Maine they are considered a nuisance in some fisheries.

Offline jpease

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 20, 2020, 06:12 PM »
They are on some waters up there. I believe on Cross lake there is no limit on salmon under 14".  I spoke to a biologist up on moosehead 2 years ago and said it would be like that for at least 5 years

Offline Coffin Dodger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 20, 2020, 11:49 PM »
Not looking to change anything because I support not taking them through the ice and supporting the growth and spawning season but just wondering why other states choose to
Most of ME and all of NH & VT have the same Landlocked Atlantic salmon. In fact, a lot of those salmon were derived from Sebago Lake salmon genetics. ME still has a few sea run Atlantic salmon also.
Re: spawning season, less than 2% of NH's salmon are spawned naturally.The rest are all stocked.

Winning salmon fishing is far better than Maine or Vermont.
It's often times hard to understand what Dick's trying to say or saying?  ::) If he's trying to say Winni salmon fishing is far better than ME or VT, don't believe a word of it! That's just ignorant and/or foolish talk!
He definitely should know better!
Since alewives were introduced in Champ around 2000, that's a far better fishery than Winni. Winni salmon fishing has not been great for a couple years. The upcoming year is destined to be a disaster for Winni salmon fishing. Hopefully, when this year's federal hatchery salmon stocking mature, the following year, Winni will start to rebound. If so, it will be at least a couple years in the making.
There are other great salmon lakes in both ME and VT.
Don't misunderstand me. Winni has had some very good salmon fishing in the past. The quality, as a rule doesn't compete with Champ, though.

Offline Nessmuck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 21, 2020, 08:00 AM »
White perch ..or Crappie..through the ice. Which tastes better ?

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #17 on: Jan 21, 2020, 08:02 AM »

Crappie
You count your years by the Winters.

It’s not being Cocky if you can back it up.

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Jan 21, 2020, 08:08 AM »

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Jan 21, 2020, 08:09 AM »
X3 on the Crappie, I'd only put cusk above for fresh water...
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Jan 21, 2020, 08:12 AM »
Most of ME and all of NH & VT have the same Landlocked Atlantic salmon. In fact, a lot of those salmon were derived from Sebago Lake salmon genetics. ME still has a few sea run Atlantic salmon also.
Re: spawning season, less than 2% of NH's salmon are spawned naturally.The rest are all stocked.
It's often times hard to understand what Dick's trying to say or saying?  ::) If he's trying to say Winni salmon fishing is far better than ME or VT, don't believe a word of it! That's just ignorant and/or foolish talk!
He definitely should know better!
Since alewives were introduced in Champ around 2000, that's a far better fishery than Winni. Winni salmon fishing has not been great for a couple years. The upcoming year is destined to be a disaster for Winni salmon fishing. Hopefully, when this year's federal hatchery salmon stocking mature, the following year, Winni will start to rebound. If so, it will be at least a couple years in the making.
There are other great salmon lakes in both ME and VT.
Don't misunderstand me. Winni has had some very good salmon fishing in the past. The quality, as a rule doesn't compete with Champ, though.

I've only come to the salmon trolling game recently besides the few times my father took me back in the day. I just use lead core (no down riggers) and I troll from my tritoon boat.
I see people doing the same with kayaks on up to the commercial guys and all their equipment. ANYONE can go out there and troll with a boat and a license. That said, the statement of it being "rich man's game" is baloney! I have done pretty well after a very generous, long time salmon fisherman invited me aboard his boat a few years back to show me some tips...he even handed me some of his flies at the end of our outing. That's what the sport is about.
My wife and I have decided to start looking for a better "fishing" boat that gives some protection from the elements VS the open pontoon boat but my point is that anyone can get out there and have fun, There have been times when my wife and I have been hooked up in the middle of the guide boats and had our limits by 8am and the guys in the guide boats would be hollering congrats to us after watching us being successful. Again, sportsmanship rules the day.

Offline HuntnFish603

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If I can hunt it, or fish it....I'M THERE!
« Reply #21 on: Jan 21, 2020, 08:26 AM »

Crappie
Yup!
Especially when you can get into some slabs like these! Yum. (From last weekend)

- In every walk with nature, every hunt, every fishing trip....one receives far more than he seeks.

Offline Mr.Harry

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Jan 21, 2020, 08:33 AM »
Yep, I’ve done it myself in a leaky, 14 ft POS John boat and a 5 horse. Right after ice-out it’s anyone’s game, and a small boat or canoe gives you the edge of hugging shore and shoals you couldnt work with a big $ boat. It’s too easy to catch salmon through ice, much like AA said. I think they get banged up pretty bad just being caught and released by many.  Side note, there are some lakes in ME, like Rangely, Richardson, and I believe Mooselookemeguntic; amazing native brook trout and LL Salmon fisheries, and you can’t put a line in them period, through the ice.

Offline jmamos52

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 21, 2020, 08:54 AM »
I would agree with the others that the main reason is how easy they are to catch via ice... I'd say just about any time I'm out after trout I will get at least 1 salmon. Got one yesterday on a jawjacker that was 5lbs easy.. had to say, one of the bigger ones I've seen through the ice though as most are the 2 - 2.5 lbs cookie cutter ones.. but they still fight like mad. I wouldn't keep them if I could as they're way too good for the fight to take home and fish out IMO. Took my buddy at least 10 mins to land it yesterday as it ran from the hole about 7 times.. I thought it was a donkey bow at first.. until the 5th time to the hole and I saw the silver... fat as can be though and off she went for another day. Had to cut the hook as she had taken it pretty good... I hate doing that, but better than keeping her out of the water, especially as cold and windy as it was. Would have like to see her during the spring.. oh well.

Offline lv2huntandfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Jan 21, 2020, 09:36 AM »
Once you've caught a real salmon you realize that NH salmon are not special, and you wonder what all the hype is about.

Offline mikez

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Jan 21, 2020, 09:55 AM »
As far as $$$$ is concerned,  I don't see how that even makes sense. They could bring in a lot of winter revenue if they allowed salmon through the ice.  Same as if they got rid of the trout pond restrictions and two trap lakes.

I personally would love to try for samon and lakers as well as hit some native brookie ponds. I'd spend all kinds of $$$$ on food, bait, gas and lodging. At a time of year when the vacation economy is not producing much.
When I do my saltwater trips to RI, I go after tourist season is done and businesses are struggling. I typically make at least one long weekend and spend plenty $$$$.

Those restrictions are what discourage me. I would still release most of my salmon and brook trout. I'd just want to use my five traps, hit some trout ponds and maybe have the option to at least snap a quick pic of a decent salmon.

Having said that, NH obviously just feels trout and salmon are too vulnerable to ice fishing. I actually agree with that and support their effort to manage their fishery wisely. They pass up the chance for more money to protect the stocks.
Not alot of state put fish before revenue.

Offline HuntnFish603

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Jan 21, 2020, 09:58 AM »
Once you've caught a real salmon you realize that NH salmon are not special, and you wonder what all the hype is about.
True. I've caught nicer salmon in other states. But... I guess it's just the location factor. It's convenient in our home state. It's what we got, gotta do the best with it.

- In every walk with nature, every hunt, every fishing trip....one receives far more than he seeks.

Offline zwiggles

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Jan 21, 2020, 10:11 AM »
True. I've caught nicer salmon in other states. But... I guess it's just the location factor. It's convenient in our home state. It's what we got, gotta do the best with it.

It’s hard to beat a LLS doing cartwheels on light line. They don’t get big, but the fight is outstanding.

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Jan 21, 2020, 10:39 AM »
true, they are not 30 lb kings, but I don't have to drive 9 hours either...

Offline HuntnFish603

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Jan 21, 2020, 10:56 AM »
It’s hard to beat a LLS doing cartwheels on light line. They don’t get big, but the fight is outstanding.
Absolutely agree! That's kind of what I meant. I was just commenting on luv2hunts post.  They're not monsters, but It's in our backyard.
And like Joe said below, we don't have to drive 9 hours.
But....if we want to travel and chase huge trophies, we can.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.