The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Light Weight Shelter  (Read 1037 times)

Offline 507-406cd

• IceShanty Rookie
Light Weight Shelter
« on: Dec 20, 2021, 11:14 AM »
What’s everyone like for lighter weight shelters? Currently running a larger frabill flip over that I really like but it can just be a bit much with all my gear to get in and out of my truck bed while solo. It also doesn’t drag very well in deep snow conditions. Looking to add a lighter option, can never have too much ice fishing gear

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
Re: Light Weight Shelter
« Reply #1 on: Dec 20, 2021, 11:33 AM »
Its not the best but the shappell fx100 weighing in at 37lbs is my go to when theres deep snow on the ice.its comact with no frills but its easy to pull.i take that over my clam scout xl thermal when the ice is snow covered.

Offline remyjames23

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 21, 2021, 08:39 AM »
I think the Eskimo Quickfish 3 is the best if you wanna be light. It is like 25 pounds and you can wear it like a backpack if the sled is full and you are walking out on the ice. It is not fancy and I don't use mine as much anymore since I camp a lot, but if it is just me for the day it is perfect. Also no need to get the heavier more expensive insulated one because it is small and warms up fast.

Offline gutshot_again

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 23, 2021, 07:44 AM »
Does it have a built in seat?  Those seats (while nice) weigh a ton.  I have an older Kenai that was getting too much (as I'm older myself).  I took the seat out, now I have no problem lifting it myself into the pickup.  I do empty it and use a 5 gallon bucket in place of the seat.

Now that sled (and the heavy Tundra flip over I bring when with a partner) drag through the snow like trying to drag a Moose uphill.  Might be able to be done, but not by me.  Build yourself a smitty sled.  Hit 2nd hand stores for used cross country skis on the cheap.  Search 'smitty sled' on here and make youself one those ski's.  Put everything on smitty sled and use two fingers to pull all your gear out.  The difference will astound you.
That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Offline ont_angler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 23, 2021, 08:03 AM »
Eskimo quick flip 1

Offline doublehaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Doublehaul
« Reply #5 on: Dec 23, 2021, 11:25 AM »
Its not the best but the shappell fx100 weighing in at 37lbs is my go to when theres deep snow on the ice.its comact with no frills but its easy to pull.i take that over my clam scout xl thermal when the ice is snow covered.

I owned that same shack a couple of years ago and I found it to be too small for a 6’ tall fisherman. Very light though.
So many fish, so little time.

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 23, 2021, 11:33 AM »
I think the Eskimo Quickfish 3 is the best if you wanna be light. It is like 25 pounds and you can wear it like a backpack if the sled is full and you are walking out on the ice. It is not fancy and I don't use mine as much anymore since I camp a lot, but if it is just me for the day it is perfect. Also no need to get the heavier more expensive insulated one because it is small and warms up fast.

X2

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #7 on: Dec 23, 2021, 11:57 AM »
I owned that same shack a couple of years ago and I found it to be too small for a 6’ tall fisherman. Very light though.
yeah i must slouch or im bending over jigging too hard because im 6'2".lol my head with a hat on does rub in most smaller one man flips tho.

Offline A1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 28, 2021, 12:34 AM »

First shelter I owned. Still highly recommended

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.