Author Topic: Flasher, same hole or different hole?  (Read 6147 times)

Offline Zee

• Team IceShanty Regular
Flasher, same hole or different hole?
« on: Dec 14, 2006, 03:51 PM »
Do you guys use the same hole you are fishing in or drill a hole beside for your transducer?

Do you pull the transducer out before icing your catch?

Offline C.C.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • DO NOT BE AFRAID !!!!
Re: Flasher, same hole or different hole?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 14, 2006, 04:23 PM »
If I'm searching around for fish I use the same hole and when I find a school and know I will be there for a little bit then I will cut the second hole for the ducer.
        Jim

Offline eyedoktr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • keep your pole in the hole
« Reply #2 on: Dec 14, 2006, 04:26 PM »
As we are allowed to jig two rods, I drill three holes in a triangle. I jig the bottom two and have my Vex transducer hanging in the top hole.
Pete Lewis

Offline fishincrazy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The meaning of life is fishing with your friends.
« Reply #3 on: Dec 14, 2006, 04:28 PM »
I have my vex in the same hole I'm jigging in, never had a problem.  When I have a nice one on I just pull the tranducer out of the water and lay it on the ice until I land the fish, no biggie.
All I need is ice and the fish will come.

Offline mistertwister

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 14, 2006, 04:39 PM »
i havent had a chance to use my flasher yet...seeing that it's 50 degrees...but i plan on floating it in the same hole as i'm jigging. If i have something big on i'll just pull it out. I tend to move around alot unless i'm getting good action, so the fewer holes i have to drill the better :tipup:

PWR BAIT

« Reply #5 on: Dec 14, 2006, 05:27 PM »
 if the ice is clear enough put some water on ice next to hole put transducer on ice next to hole your fishing. it will shoot through ice then you don t have to worry about  pulling ducer out of hole  when you get a fish .other than that i drill two side by side.    PB

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #6 on: Dec 14, 2006, 06:35 PM »
Flasher - same hole. Camera - different hole. Run both at the same time.

:tipup:

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline BUSCHLITE

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 14, 2006, 06:50 PM »
I have a 10" auger, so I use it in the same hole that I'm fishing in. I've only tangled up a couple of times, usually with blue gills when they start to do the circle thing on the way up. I don't use the float on the vex. trans. I just let it hang down the side of the hole just below the bottom of the ice.

Offline Tombo

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #8 on: Dec 14, 2006, 10:51 PM »
I use the same hole and usually don't have to pull it when catching perch. Walleye or Pike---I pull the transducer out of the hole.
With the camera -I drill another hole unless I'm downviewing then you have to pull the camera up or else the fish tangles in the camera cable.

Offline IceholeFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Dec 15, 2006, 12:07 AM »
One thing you have to remember is current. If there is a current below you, it will carry your jig away from the cone angle of your transducer. If you see this happening, you will have to drill a hole "down current" for your transducer.
May ol man winter blow a cool breeze up your shorts!

Offline Scott Steil

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 15, 2006, 10:00 AM »
I always use the same hole because I use a MarCum.  If you use a Vexilar with a float, I would recommend using a different hole.  Personally, I don't let any of my guide clients use that float, they are the result of to many lost fish.

Offline donmvt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Dec 16, 2006, 07:40 PM »
Scott - What are you fishing for when you run into this problem?  I have always used the same hole (8") and have not lost one because of the vex float.  I have had a couple wind around the vex cord, but I have always been been able to lift it out and keep the fish on the line.  Am I just lucky, or have others had a problem with this too???
Don

Offline spoonfed

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • just one more
« Reply #12 on: Dec 16, 2006, 07:42 PM »
Scott - What are you fishing for when you run into this problem?  I have always used the same hole (8") and have not lost one because of the vex float.  I have had a couple wind around the vex cord, but I have always been been able to lift it out and keep the fish on the line.  Am I just lucky, or have others had a problem with this too???
Don
no problems here either.  same hole and have not lost a fish due to the float. i either grab it and pull it out or leave it in. if i know its a hawg i'll pull it out.

only keep what you're gonna eat
                                                            MIRC

Offline iceonly

• IceShanty Rookie
  • just set the hook
« Reply #13 on: Dec 16, 2006, 11:46 PM »
I use the same hole all of the time. I have lost a few fish over the years, but not enough to make me wish that I had drilled hundreds of extra holes. If it is a good fish , I will pull the transducer, if not I will take my chances. I have landed many fish wound around the transducer cable. I have probably lost more fish with the float, than the bare transducer.
If it ain't cold, it ain't fishing

Offline Scott Steil

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 20, 2006, 11:00 AM »
Well, I guide on the ice, so I fish just about every species.  When I ran Vexilar units many years ago, I took all the floats off them.  Guide clients lose fish on floats, it happens.  I now run MarCum units.  Not a problem.  I don't want to have to pull the ducer out of the hole for every fish, and that is what happens with a Vex.  Just my 2 pennies.

trapperdirk

« Reply #15 on: Dec 20, 2006, 05:35 PM »
I don't care for the float deal either as often the wind blows it around but even when I hook a fish and my Marcum ducer is in the hole I pull the ducer out to land the fish and I usually fish 10 inch holes and also guide too . Likely with the new 8 inch Nils I'll drill a second hole but even then I will want the ducer out of the hole to land fish . Tangling good size fish in transducer cables etc . is not a good thang .

TD

Offline KingFisher1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 20, 2006, 05:40 PM »
I've always left my Vex transducer in the same hole I'm fishing out of and have never had a problem, however I do pull it out when I hook into something big.

Offline yooperdave

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Dec 26, 2006, 04:14 AM »
if im fishing for bigger fish, like pike or lake trout, i make another hole within 18" of the one im fishing in.
da splake chaser

Offline rondog

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hudson River Salmon
« Reply #18 on: Dec 26, 2006, 04:49 AM »
Same hole,if it's a bigger fish i pull it. I think that the float helps keep the hole from skimming .

Offline Left Handed Model

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "I know it's backwards, I'm Left Handed..."
« Reply #19 on: Dec 26, 2006, 05:34 AM »
I say leave it in...  if the line happens to get tangled the transducer, I just revert to the old  :tipup: method of hand over hand.... ;)
Mike aka: Lefty,  The Yellow Pole Guy.....

Offline Scott Steil

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Dec 26, 2006, 08:57 AM »
Trapperdirk, how do you like that Nils??

trapperdirk

« Reply #21 on: Dec 26, 2006, 10:26 AM »
Trapperdirk, how do you like that Nils??

It still has to drill its first hole Scott because the ice I'm on is still at chiselling thickness but it runs good motor wise as I ran a tank through it to break it in . ;D But drilling I can't vouch for yet but soon hopefully . I never recall a year like this one up here . ???

TD

PIKEGUY

« Reply #22 on: Dec 26, 2006, 11:04 AM »
I always run the vex ducer in the same hole and pull it out if I get a decent fish. No problems

Offline keny

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • just poken holes
« Reply #23 on: Dec 26, 2006, 03:46 PM »
I use the same hole for both and usually pull the transducer to land fish. Since my transducer is the dual beam it is larger than many of the other units.

Offline Haywood

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Dec 26, 2006, 03:53 PM »
I almost always have it in my jigging hole.  Sometimes when I figure out the depth of the fish, I will mark my line with a bobber stop and shut the finder off.  Sometimes when the fish are finicky, I think they can sense the transducer ping on their lateral lines. 

Offline wallyboss

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Feb 19, 2007, 11:59 AM »
Whatever you do if you drill a second hole make sure that it doesn't cut into the first hole. I did that this weekend and I could see into the other hole where my ducer was. I never tought that right where one hole cut into the other hole that the ice there must've been very thin and sharp. I was pulling in a laker and it was going from side to side, I could see that it was a good hookup, but as soon as the line went to that spot where the 2 holes met instant line cut off. I stuck my hand in there to check and it was as sharp as a friggin knife. I'll never do that again.
When Hell freezes over !!!!  I'll be there icefishing!!!

Offline lotwfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Feb 21, 2007, 03:36 PM »
I use it in the same hole when I am trout fishing cause I move alot and when I get a fish I pull it out...Vex or Marcum it dont matter... When I am crappie, or perch fishing I cut another hole cause I dont move much...

Robin

Offline jdjyoung

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Get the gaf, I'm catching this one!
« Reply #27 on: Feb 23, 2007, 06:02 PM »
 Used to place it in the same hole til I lost one about 6lbs :( Ever since that little episode, I always drill a secondary hole next to it.

Tight lines,            JD
" I'll take a bad day of fishing over a good day at work anytime!"

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.