Author Topic: 'fess up on the VPG !  (Read 10356 times)

Offline hwangler001

• IceShanty Rookie
'fess up on the VPG !
« on: Oct 25, 2006, 05:38 PM »
Ok who has one of those @qu@ vu VPG sonar units? What do you think of it?

Offline pike4some

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GIT R DONE
Re: 'fess up on the VPG !
« Reply #1 on: Oct 25, 2006, 07:32 PM »
I would have to confess I am not really sure what this toy does

Offline tucker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Oct 26, 2006, 07:20 AM »
I was looking into them.  I have the aqua vu and i am impressed so i might give the vpg a try.
in the heart of tax and spend NY

Offline hwangler001

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Oct 26, 2006, 07:56 AM »
I would have to confess I am not really sure what this toy does

It looks to be a Sonar unit. It also looks pretty sweet mounted on an Aqua-vu Power Tower. I wonder how it would hold up in 0 degree F.

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #4 on: Oct 26, 2006, 08:58 AM »
Im still up in the air on these units,, I really need to see one in action on the ice....more then that, I need to be out fished by one on the ice... ;D

Offline marmooskapaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Oct 26, 2006, 09:09 AM »
This thing looks like the old Zercom RTS unit that I bought on-line for about 40.00. Use it as a spare for when buddies go and don't have a vex. It is o.k. but doesn't really compare to the vex. This unit is probably more sensitive? Paul

Offline pike4some

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GIT R DONE
« Reply #6 on: Oct 26, 2006, 03:09 PM »
Saw it on the dvd I got with I-F ice fishing guide. Might think about it more if I was looking at a dif vex especially when I could go with the tower and have my aqua-vu and gps all on it.

Offline hwangler001

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Oct 26, 2006, 03:54 PM »
Saw it on the dvd I got with I-F ice fishing guide. Might think about it more if I was looking at a dif vex especially when I could go with the tower and have my aqua-vu and gps all on it.

Seems like a great way to increase mobility using that Tower to mount all these things. I don't see the Tower mentioned anywhere but on that DVD. Aquavu.com has nothing on it nor do any of the online sellers.

Offline pike4some

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GIT R DONE
« Reply #8 on: Oct 26, 2006, 04:09 PM »
You would think if they are bringing up on the video that they would have it on there site to show the people that don't have the video. I see you can get the video for free on there web site also

Offline The Darkness

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Oct 26, 2006, 05:15 PM »
You would think if they are bringing up on the video that they would have it on there site to show the people that don't have the video. I see you can get the video for free on there web site also
Picture of the Power Tower I captured from the DVD:

WORK is that annoying time between FISHING TRIPS

Offline hwangler001

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Oct 26, 2006, 05:55 PM »
Picture of the Power Tower I captured from the DVD:
(Image removed from quote.)
so pretty...... tower sells for 99.99. Not available anywhere I can find. Wonder if my vex would fit in the place of the sexy looking  VPG?

Offline pike4some

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GIT R DONE
« Reply #11 on: Oct 26, 2006, 05:59 PM »
I would think the vex would be to wide. They probably designed it so only there stuff fits in it

Offline hwangler001

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Oct 26, 2006, 06:04 PM »
i also wonder if my SRT 7 inch camera would fit. Looks like a DVR in the picture, i think they are 7 inch.

Offline The Darkness

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Oct 26, 2006, 10:25 PM »
so pretty...... tower sells for 99.99. Not available anywhere I can find. Wonder if my vex would fit in the place of the sexy looking  VPG?
According to what I remember hearing, it would "handle" other flashers on top...

WORK is that annoying time between FISHING TRIPS

Offline hwangler001

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Oct 27, 2006, 10:37 AM »
I wonder does it hold multiple batteries?

Offline Binkelman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Oct 27, 2006, 11:23 AM »
It looks to be a Sonar unit. It also looks pretty sweet mounted on an Aqua-vu Power Tower. I wonder how it would hold up in 0 degree F.

To answer your question, the VPG contains an internal heating element, or "ICE MODE" that keeps the liquid crystals moving at super-high speed, even in very cold conditions.  It has been succesfully tested down to -40-degrees F.  We used it on ice a bit toward last winter, and all summer, as well.  I think people will be impressed with the sensitivity and target definition of the VPG.

Cory Schmidt

Offline Binkelman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Oct 27, 2006, 11:30 AM »
The Power Tower will become available early this winter.  There is ample room in the upper shelf to accomodate any ice sonar unit, including Vexilar, Marcum,. VPG, etc.  With a slim VPG, there's still room for a HH GPS.

The unit has interior space for three 12-volt, 7.2 amp gel cell batteries.  The battery compartment folds out below for quick, easy access.  The Tower also will come pre-wired to rig your batteries in parallel, for plugging all electronics into one central power station.  The front of the unit contains charging terminals that allow you to attach almost any battery charger.  Also, there are 2 auxiliary power ports (cigarette lighter style), for attaching cell phones, lights, etc.  Real sweet item.

Cory Schmidt

Offline FishDeepCreek

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got 45?
« Reply #17 on: Oct 27, 2006, 11:48 AM »
I think that sonar unit is better than no unit, however, I would be more opt for a 3 color flasher unit. That VPG will tell you when the fish is close to your lure/bait- but a 3 color flasher with th gain set right will give you a better idea of where the fish is in the transducer cone signal. Obviously if the signal is red on the dial you know the fish is right up on your lure, if its green you know it close (or on the edge of the signal cone) but not up on it. That can be a distinct advantage because you will know when to prepare for a strike, whether to slow, stop or ,speed up jigging, depends on what the fish are reacting to at that time. I do like the slenderness of the VPG though, and the power tower does look great. If it could fit a Vex/standard flasher unit, and a handheld GPS on top, that would be the cats meow for an ice fishing center!

Offline hunters08

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • all i can say is WOW
« Reply #18 on: Oct 27, 2006, 01:24 PM »
does'nt look to bad to me,i'm sure we'll see one on the ice this year :tipup:
If i'm not fish'n then i'd rather be turkey hunt'n [img width=100 height=80]

Offline hwangler001

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Oct 27, 2006, 04:14 PM »
The Power Tower will become available early this winter.  There is ample room in the upper shelf to accomodate any ice sonar unit, including Vexilar, Marcum,. VPG, etc.  With a slim VPG, there's still room for a HH GPS.

The unit has interior space for three 12-volt, 7.2 amp gel cell batteries.  The battery compartment folds out below for quick, easy access.  The Tower also will come pre-wired to rig your batteries in parallel, for plugging all electronics into one central power station.  The front of the unit contains charging terminals that allow you to attach almost any battery charger.  Also, there are 2 auxiliary power ports (cigarette lighter style), for attaching cell phones, lights, etc.  Real sweet item.

Cory Schmidt

very nice. can't wait to get my hands on one. thanks for the great info

Offline tucker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Oct 28, 2006, 09:43 AM »
That can be a distinct advantage because you will know when to prepare for a strike, whether to slow, stop or ,speed up jigging, depends on what the fish are reacting to at that time.

Thats what the camera is for ;D
in the heart of tax and spend NY

Offline pike4some

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GIT R DONE
« Reply #21 on: Oct 29, 2006, 07:41 AM »
I'm Curious to if there is a cover or somekind of a case you could get for this when in storage

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #22 on: Oct 31, 2006, 08:52 AM »
I enjoyed the video and was very impressed by the tower, on the other hand I was not as impressed by the VPG, I dont think the video did it justice, at times it looked very hard to read, the display looked to lite.

Offline icetechy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Give him room Brodie"
« Reply #23 on: Nov 28, 2006, 01:35 PM »
I just saw a report on the VPG and it was not good.  After reading it I definitely wouldn't be throwing a dime at this unit and neither will the shanty if that info get's posted here.   Interference rejection is terrible, the wood block battery storage and cheap battery hold down tape became unglued and knocked out the wiring behind the unit,  very tippy.  When you put the unit into Ice Mode, the 0-5ft scale dissappears making it worthless for fishing shallow water unit.  I could go further but I think you get the picture.
Tim Rogers

Offline Cooley

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Dec 01, 2006, 07:39 PM »
Come on guys, we all like big screen tv's
Why would you want to watch something so small ?
And the heated thing who cares,if its that cold &
dark (with the lite on) you will have to have the thing
in your face to see it. my 2 cents
How many men does it take to open a beer,
None...it's open when she brings it! ! !

Offline hwangler001

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Dec 02, 2006, 05:24 PM »

Cory Schmidt

Any word on availability. Marinegeneral says Jan 2007

Offline pike4some

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GIT R DONE
« Reply #26 on: Dec 02, 2006, 06:15 PM »
I saw them at the ice show yesterday and I should have asked when we could get them. They also hold 4 ice rods in the back

Offline hwangler001

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Dec 03, 2006, 12:07 PM »
I saw them at the ice show yesterday and I should have asked when we could get them. They also hold 4 ice rods in the back
Should be anytime then.

Offline vancouvercanuck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Dec 03, 2006, 01:23 PM »
I don't know what the price is on that VPG or Aqua Vu fish finder, but that's all it is, a fish finder cut in half. The only difference is the heater in it to keep the LCD from freezing if you use it outside a shack.

If you are in a heated shack, just buy a LCD fish finder for $99 or whatever and rig it for the ice.

Offline pike4some

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GIT R DONE
« Reply #29 on: Dec 03, 2006, 05:14 PM »
I don't know what the price is on that VPG or Aqua Vu fish finder

I think they were 229.00

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.