Author Topic: Humminbird PiranhaMAX 176i Ice use?  (Read 2316 times)

Offline McGrath

• IceShanty Rookie
  • SHINERS FOR SALE
Humminbird PiranhaMAX 176i Ice use?
« on: Jan 13, 2015, 07:26 PM »
I tried searching but couldn't find any thing concrete. I really wanted the lowrance elite 4, but there all back ordered. I found a deal on the Humminbird  PiranhaMAX 176i. I told it was portable and could mark points etc. All the features I wanted expect it is black and white. Has any one used this model? Any thoughts or suggestions of similar models that arent sold out until March and cost under 300.
-Thanks
Chris

Offline hamms

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Humminbird PiranhaMAX 176i Ice use?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 13, 2015, 08:04 PM »
Look on ebay for elite 4. Matzilla used to run the bird I believe.
Fishin red lines

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 13, 2015, 11:11 PM »
I had a 175...it does well for the $. Use the backlight to help keep the screen warm. You can search on here how to use the skimmer transducer for ice fishing. Let me know if you have any specific questions

Catchin' Fish

Offline JJBat150

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 14, 2015, 02:51 AM »
Never used a flasher on the ice before, so I bought a 176 last year and used it pretty exclusively for lake trout.  Had no problems seeing a 1 ounce jig in 90-180 FOW. 

Basic GPS functionality, you can set way points,  but don't think you can get a latitude / longitude reading from it, or ar least I never figured out how to.

I would throw a disposable hand warmer betweend the battery and screen to keep everything warm - not sure if necessary, but kept my mind as easy.

On my first outing the battery only lasted 3 hours, but then after fully charing it, I could go 8 hrs with no problems. 

I already have a 597 unit, so I spent some money this summer to buy a second bag and shuttle, so I'll be bouncing back and forth between the 2 units. I'm thinking that for shallower fishing, the circular flasher mode on the 597 may be easier to use.

Offline striperman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 14, 2015, 03:28 AM »
I used the piranhamax 160 for awile and it worked ok.I just used zip ties and put the transducer on a tipup with no reel and set it in the water.It pretty much kept the transducer level.
It's not how deep you fish,
Its how you wiggle your worm

Offline The Walri

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 14, 2015, 06:27 AM »
I use the pirhanamax 170 from my kayak and it works really well for my needs.  Built a homemade Genz box with two rod holders for it - great for hopping holes looking for fish.

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 14, 2015, 07:58 PM »
if you buy a $9 Vexilar neoprene cover its a perfect fit for the Pmax finders....it'll hold a hand warmer against the screen while traveling. I usually keep the head unit inside before fishing and just cover it up w/o a warmer. You don't need to warm the color screens, they're not impacted by cold like the grayscale

Catchin' Fish

Offline RapShack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 14, 2015, 08:16 PM »
I have the 175 and an Elite 4x HDI which are the same units minus GPS.  I was going to get a 176 originally but the GPS functions are very basic so I went without and got a handheld instead.  There isn't any way to offload your data to a computer and it doesn't take any maps, plus the GPS eats the battery faster.  The Elite 4 has a map but I'm not sure how detailed it is.  For pure ease of use and performance the Humminbird beats the Lowrance but the color screen on the Lowrance is really nice.

On my first outing the battery only lasted 3 hours, but then after fully charing it, I could go 8 hrs with no problems. 

That's crazy.  Can you turn off the GPS?  My 175 will run for days on end with a 5ah battery. 
I'm a man, but I can change, If I have to, I guess.

Offline McGrath

• IceShanty Rookie
  • SHINERS FOR SALE
« Reply #8 on: Jan 14, 2015, 08:50 PM »
Thank you every one. I am still on the fence. How cold do the screens on the Humminbird freeze up. I fish well below 0 often, I think the cost of hand warmers would get out of hand quickly.

-Chris

Offline RapShack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 14, 2015, 09:33 PM »
I've never had one freeze up but it can be a little bit sluggish for the first couple minutes after sitting in the garage on a really cold night.  I don't think I've ever used it in anything worse than -5 or so though.
I'm a man, but I can change, If I have to, I guess.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.