Author Topic: Digital Cameras ?  (Read 5381 times)

Offline mjc2799

• Team IceShanty Regular
Digital Cameras ?
« on: Dec 20, 2004, 01:38 PM »
k , guys probaly headed out this sunday to get the digital camera ... i check walmart.com , staples.com and circutcity.com
since these are the stores where the camera will most likely be purchased at ... they all have good cameras and different models listed at different prices .... the one i found i like the most is a Panasonic Lumix DMC FZ3 ... my question is does anyone out there own one of these ... is this camera ok for a novice shutterbug or is it to advanced ... the people that bought it rated it 4.6 out of 5 stars ... and said it was really great camera for the price ... i like the options on it and especially the 12x optical zoom ... so i hope the store has it when we go ... if not im sure ill find a camera just not this one .... any thoughts about this camera will be ap[preciated i can be reached at [email protected]

thanx again

mike
Git - R - Done !!!

Offline eyedoktr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • keep your pole in the hole
Re: Digital Cameras ?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 20, 2004, 01:59 PM »
check out   www.dpreview.com    they are a very good site and rate most cameras.
Pete Lewis

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
« Reply #2 on: Dec 20, 2004, 03:02 PM »
lumix is sweet!!nice camera i considered it heavily when i bought my kodak dx7590.it rang in around 500 bucks at curcuit city.i am extremely happy with my kodak .it is as advanced as i want it to be.they all do a pretty good job at making a very sophisticated camera be a point & shoot camera until you better understand things then you could truly unlock the potential of a camera like lumix.one thing i preferred about my kodak was the more compact size of the camera itself but that is just a personal preference.  good luck and let us know what you buy!

Offline Flagchaser59

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 20, 2004, 03:06 PM »
mjc2799 I checked the review and it sounds like a pretty nice camera, the only suggestion I would make is to get a spare battery for it, especially since you are going to be using it ice fishing. Digital cameras are hard on batteries and the cold weather just makes it that much worse.

Offline eyedoktr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 20, 2004, 03:26 PM »
Mike,you have a pm
Pete Lewis

Offline mjc2799

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 20, 2004, 04:12 PM »
thanx guys ... i plan on getting extra batteries or charger dpending on which batteries come with the camera i get ... the model i decide on will depend on whats in stock at the vestal walmart or circutcity thats where we are going to shop ... i will let you know which one i get and hopefully be posting pics soon
thanx again

mike
Git - R - Done !!!

Offline cdc

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 20, 2004, 05:03 PM »
when you get one buy re-chargable battery's. I have double A battery's for mine and they last a long time even out in the cold. It will save you alot of cash

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #7 on: Dec 20, 2004, 05:05 PM »
i have used just about all of the different digital cameras out there, and the sony cybershot line is pretty darn good, in particular the  DSC-p70 series (the current model is the 73) - they are fairly small and compact, take very, very good pictures, and are fairly rugged and extremely relialbe - i have had my dsc-p71 since they first came out 3 years ago, and it has functioned flawlessly. The charge for the batteries usually lasts me about 3 weeks of normal use, 1 week with heavy use.  I also opted for the 64 mb memory chip.

Offline Skiff

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • Walleye, pike, perch...Yeah!
« Reply #8 on: Dec 20, 2004, 05:22 PM »
I wouldn't worry about it having too many features - as you learn the camera, you'll probably use them.  If the Lumix is the one you like, go for it.  Couple of years ago I bought a HP 612 that is now starting to be outdated (2.1 megapixels, 3X optical zoom), and I'm going to up grade in the forseeable future.  But the camera has worked well, and I was happy with my selection then, so pick the one you like best.  Rechargeable batteries and a big memory card are also the way to go.
"I'm as healthy as I ever was, I just go to the doctor more often".  - one of my retired buddies

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Dec 20, 2004, 07:26 PM »
i agree i have 5 megapixels ,and i think the lumix is around the same.with more megapixels you need more memory per pic. i got a 256 and at a recent xmas party took over 130 pics on it.also with the same kodak battery.but the cold will eat them faster so i do have a spare since i will always carry my digital when fishing.use the neck strap!around your neck all the time noooooooo droppie!!

Offline Thor

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 21, 2004, 07:07 AM »
I'm thinking of getting a digital camera, and I'm having a tough time deciding between getting a bulkier camera with an 8x-10x optical zoom, or one with a 3x-4x optical zoom that is more compact.

Is the more powerful zoom really better if you leave the camera at home because it's not convenient to carry ???  Is the compact camera really better if you can't get good quality pictures, except for close-ups ???

Which one of these trade-offs is the way to go?

Offline mjc2799

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 21, 2004, 07:21 AM »
Thor , maybe you can use the information in this thread and another thread (by the same title and started by myself) that is found on page 3 of general chit chat ... to help you decide , (would post the thread here but not sure how to bring it up on this thread) , myself im leaning to a camera with the closest value to 10x i can afford ... all these cameras are at least 3 megapixel (some more) and take great pics , and with the 10x optical you can take close ups of objects far away (as shown in the second thread) ... there are a couple of members that might answer your question better than myself ... they are eyedoktr and billditrite ... they helped me decide that 10x is the way to go

mike
Git - R - Done !!!

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #12 on: Dec 21, 2004, 07:59 AM »
you are absolutely right thor and ill bet we can get a mod to merge the 2 topics for us

Offline vancouvercanuck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Dec 21, 2004, 10:39 AM »
IMHO, the only way to go these day is DSLR the Nikon D70 by far is your best entry level DSLR.

6.1 effective megapixels

New Nikon DX Format CCD imaging sensor for 3,008 x 2,000-pixel images

New advanced digital image processor to optimize image quality, control auto white balance, auto tone and color control

Accurate white balance regardless of lighting conditions achieved by Nikon's acclaimed 3D Color Matrix Meter with 1,005 pixels

Continuous shooting at 3 frames per second for a continuous burst of up to 144 pictures (The number of continuous shots possible in a single burst may be fewer depending on the type of CF card used)

Immediate power-up has the D70 ready to take pictures before your finger can reach the shutter button

High performance System LSI uses next-generation programming to greatly increase the speed of all processing and writing operations

High-speed, high-precision 5-area AF system

Maximum shutter speed of 1/8,000 sec. for full creative control

Seven new automated Digital Vari-Program selections including Auto, Portrait, Landscape, Close-up, Sports, Night Portrait, and Night Landscape for crisp and vivid results that match the intended shot

New generation color reproduction system offers a choice of three color modes

New JPEG and NEF Combination Filing System enables simultaneous recording of NEF (RAW) and JPEG data for the same shot to optimize and accelerate workflow

Large LCD monitor with user-friendly menus

New AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G IF-ED zoom lens designed to deliver high performance and outstanding value as a perfect match for the D70

Built-in auto pop-up flash features exclusive i-TTL flash control, fast 1/500 sec. flash sync shutter speed, and supports Nikon's Creative Lighting System

Nikon software bundled

Offline eyedoktr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Dec 21, 2004, 10:44 AM »
vancouvercanuk, I'll have one before the new year. I agree it's the only way to go.I have 3 Kodak/Nikon dslr's and am selling them all and will replace  them with the D-70.
Pete Lewis

Offline mjc2799

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 21, 2004, 10:46 AM »
you forgot to mention the almost $1,500 price tag ... which BTW puts it Way out of my price rage ... but yes the Nikon D 70 is probably the best camera on the market today

mike
Git - R - Done !!!

Offline eyedoktr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Dec 21, 2004, 10:57 AM »
Aw c'mon Mike, the camera itself is only about $900. With kit lens (awesome BTW) it is around $1200. The fact that I already have a whole bunch of Nikon lenses makes it a no brainer......for me. :) :D
Pete Lewis

Offline vancouvercanuck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Dec 21, 2004, 10:58 AM »
you forgot to mention the almost $1,500 price tag ... which BTW puts it Way out of my price rage ... but yes the Nikon D 70 is probably the best camera on the market today

mike

Mike, I think the other thing you are forgetting is the fact that this would probably be the last camera you would need to buy in a long loooooooooooonnnnnggg time. I think your return on investment is beyond any other camera on the market.

Offline vancouvercanuck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Dec 21, 2004, 10:59 AM »
Aw c'mon Mike, the camera itself is only about $900. With kit lens (awesome BTW) it is around $1200. The fact that I already have a whole bunch of Nikon lenses makes it a no brainer......for me. :) :D

Yes, the D70 is on the horizon for myself. I have a Nikon already with a half a dozen lenses so this is logically the next step for myself.

Anyone interested in a slightly used SLR Nikon?

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #19 on: Dec 21, 2004, 11:09 AM »
i think that is quite a hefty price to pay in  todays world of electronics...for now the nikon may be the cats meow but will it be in two years??where were we two years ago with these cameras?i prefer the midgrade stuff almost as good ,almost as expensive its all what you want to spend and finding the best deal for that money! ;)

Offline eyedoktr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Dec 21, 2004, 11:21 AM »
I personally expect to upgrade in two years.

Two of the three dslr's I have now sold for more than $10,0000 new. The first was introduced in 1999 and the second one about a year and a half later. Yes they are still fantastic pieces of equipment but the D-70 will be an upgrade for alot less $$.
Pete Lewis

Offline The Muddler

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • 27" Bulltrout
« Reply #21 on: Dec 21, 2004, 11:27 AM »
One word...Overkill ;D 
I fish therefore I AM!

Offline mjc2799

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Dec 21, 2004, 11:36 AM »
I appreciate the opinions fellas really i do and yes the Nikon D 70 is a dream camera for most people including myself .... but there are reasons why this camera wont be coming home with me ...

1) it has a pricy price tag , roughly $1300 at circutcity , thats not counting extra batteries , carrying bag , and memory cards ...
and sales tax (which in NY is at 7% ... i believe)

2) it has more functions than i could ever use or learn to use

3) it looks on the heavy side or at least a bit big ...

4) i could think of another way to spend over $1,000 than a camera

5) i could list some more but i think you get the idea ... this camera is simply not an option for me at this time

Again I appreciate all the comments and suggestions ... kudos to billditrite and eyedoktr for the information you provided and suggestions on camera features .... I will tell which camera i can find at the store when I go get it sunday , and i hope to be posting pics soon

mike
Git - R - Done !!!

Offline The Muddler

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • 27" Bulltrout
« Reply #23 on: Dec 21, 2004, 01:44 PM »
Ya may want to look at the Pentax Optio WR43.  I did some research and found it is the only digital that can go underwater.  Good as a fishing camera for sure.  I have the WR33 but I don't think they make it anymore.  Have held it underwater for 5 minutes at a time and its still working.

Good luck with the search.
I fish therefore I AM!

Offline Big Sky

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Dec 22, 2004, 05:42 PM »
Try www.cnet.com.  Great reviews on cameras and much more.

Blue Pike

« Reply #25 on: Dec 22, 2004, 06:11 PM »
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_reviews/fz3.html

It's a very nice camera. My just go out and get the wife one.

Offline Thriller

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Dec 22, 2004, 08:57 PM »
I'm thinking of getting a digital camera, and I'm having a tough time deciding between getting a bulkier camera with an 8x-10x optical zoom, or one with a 3x-4x optical zoom that is more compact.

Is the more powerful zoom really better if you leave the camera at home because it's not convenient to carry ???  Is the compact camera really better if you can't get good quality pictures, except for close-ups ???

Which one of these trade-offs is the way to go?

Thor - it really comes down to how you expect to use the camera.  If you just want an auto-timer to be able to take photos of yourself with fish / portrait type photos, etc., you don't really need the big zoom.  That being said, until I dropped it in the lake this summer, I had a compact Fuji...nice little camera, but I replaced it with an Olympus C-765 Ultra Zoom (the 770 is current and similar)...one thing it is missing is image stabilization, which with the 10X lens is a definite issue.  However, if you have a monopod or tripod and want to take some longer range pictures (say wildlife shots), the big zoom is handy.  Another site to check out is http://www.dpreview.com - they have reviews, general articles, and you can do comparisons.

Another note is that a number of cameras (seems to me Canons were one) that are also available with an underwater housing, making underwater photography possible.  For that, I had just done a few searches using http://vivisimo.com

I hope this helps you out.

Derek

God grant me the Serenity to accept the size of the fish I catch,
the Courage not to fib about it,
and the Wisdom to know that no one would believe me anyway.

Offline LoneWolf

• Tournaments/Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Fanatic! >))))>
« Reply #27 on: Dec 23, 2004, 12:13 PM »
There's alot of good advise here and I'd like to add one thing. When I was looking for a digital camera the first thing I took into account was how I handle cameras ..... rough. I take them ice fishing, open water fishing, etc.. Alot of the cameras aren't up to some of these rigors - they need TLC. The next things I looked for was simplicity, good basic features, lens quality and size. You cannot find the best of everything in one camera especially on a limited budget. I ended up with a Cannon Powershot Digital Elph. It has a SS housing versus plastic. Cannon makes very good quality lenses. It's relatively easy to use. It's a compact size. Also Cannon has waterproof bags for underwater photography. Good luck whatever you choose  ;).
Those who are brave are free ..

Offline Hoppes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 2021 Hardwater - Another Maine Super Season
« Reply #28 on: Dec 23, 2004, 06:54 PM »
I have the Olympus 8080 for a couple reasons.  I've always had good 35mm SLR in the past and have gotten used to the size.  Even though I would have enjoyed a camera with inter-changeable lenses, the cost was prohibitive and the 8080 met my photographing needs and expectations.  That said, I want another camera, smaller and robust so I'll have it with me always!  (I usually carry the Olympus with me in a Pelican case though) But if I'm hunting or the weather is going to be crappy, my expensive camera stays home.  I think most users for casual photographs are well off with a 4 mp camera with a good zoom.  Just my 2 cents.  It's nice to have a camera when a good photographic opportunity comes along.  Water proof housings usually are in the $175+ range.  One thing I think we can all agree on...... digital cameras are the way to go.  Several years ago people would be bitterly divided on the subject.  (Course digital cameras were crappy back then unless you paid for professional quality, outside the realm of reality for most of us!)
Happy clickin!
Hoppes
Hunting and fishing!  God's gift to mankind
Strike master 40 V Electric
Otter Insulated
2019 Ski Doo Expedition
Jack Traps

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.