Author Topic: 1996 skidoo formula III 600  (Read 29691 times)

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
1996 skidoo formula III 600
« on: Sep 23, 2008, 06:59 PM »
Just got a 1996 skidoo formula III for this winter has elec start and reverse   200 miles on a newly rebuilt motor 500 miles on the track   Anybody know anything about these?    and if ya do  wheres the battery?
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline Hard Ice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: 1996 skidoo formula III 600
« Reply #1 on: Sep 23, 2008, 07:39 PM »
under the seat ??
Hard Ice

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Sep 23, 2008, 08:05 PM »
battery?  what's that?  Sounds like a fast machine (if you can ever get it started).
I bet it's good for pulling a lodge or two around (really fast that is!).

:D
MD

Offline stumper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Never settle for less
« Reply #3 on: Sep 23, 2008, 08:24 PM »
Its been awhile,but I think the battery is located on the right side of the engine under the hood. Very good machine, you wont be disappointed with a skidoo!!

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Sep 23, 2008, 09:00 PM »
suposed to do over 100  bet it never see's 30 again  lol  nope cant see it under the hood   checked there first lol

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Sep 24, 2008, 06:44 AM »
found the battery  looks like a pain to change it   pull air coversoff carbs ect.   is there a master switch somewhere on it? fuse  ect...have charger on it now  but seems to do nothing when turn the key  ;(

Offline stumper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Never settle for less
« Reply #6 on: Sep 24, 2008, 07:18 AM »
found the battery  looks like a pain to change it   pull air coversoff carbs ect.   is there a master switch somewhere on it? fuse  ect...have charger on it now  but seems to do nothing when turn the key  ;(

Try unplugging the kill switch on the bars, also make sure the tether cord is in place if it has one. These will keep the starter from engaging ...

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Sep 24, 2008, 07:43 AM »
Seems like I have lost alot of my mech skills with all this new fancy stuff :(  it's no wonder they get 50-60 hr to fix things anymore  Got a good deal on this sled  but now having second thoughts liquid cooled, bought it mostly for the reverse and elec start   still need to get a few studs put in it   for lawrences cabins trip

Offline michianafisherman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pleasant Times At Pleasant Lake
« Reply #8 on: Sep 24, 2008, 08:52 AM »
try a different battery. if this fails check the ground wire for corrosion. The motor need to be grounded to the frame for the starter to work. Engine is rubber mounted. hope this helps. that's if you allready check the kill switch on the bars
HELD HOSTAGE BY PHOTOBUCKET

Offline ALASKANSS

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • JIFFY TIME!
« Reply #9 on: Sep 25, 2008, 01:02 PM »
all the formula sleds in that chassis have the bat. behind the air box.remove it so you can see the cells of the bat.make sure it is full of electrolite,or acid. charge it for 8 hrs. on a 2 amp trickle charge.if you are ever in south central maine (turner) on rt. 4 stop in at irish outdoor powersports.they specialize in sled parts for all makes,they will take good care of you... ;)

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #10 on: Sep 25, 2008, 04:57 PM »
got all that   just cant find the voltage regulator   >:(

Offline michianafisherman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pleasant Times At Pleasant Lake
« Reply #11 on: Sep 26, 2008, 07:16 AM »
Follow the wires. You don't need the regulator for the thing to run, it's there so the battery stays charged up will its running. Did you check the starter relay?
HELD HOSTAGE BY PHOTOBUCKET

Offline BojiHawk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I just don't have a healthy fear of...anything.
« Reply #12 on: Sep 26, 2008, 07:28 AM »
Hate to chime in here...but there must be a solenoid on it right?? Or some kind of a relay that might be shot..my two cents.  I guess plan b is to smack the starter with a wrench a few times and make sure she works or test it...

flippin snowmobiles...things can make a person nuts.
STRIKELITE 4-STROKE, POLARIS 800 X2, OTTER OUTDOORS, FL-12, FORD F-150, ST. CROIX, HERITAGE LAKER AND FRABILL THERMAL TIPUPS, STRIKEMASTER BIBS AND PARKA, MR BUDDY, LOWRANCE H2O, AQUA VIEW XL, MARCUM PANNING TRIPOD, AND FATTIES.

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #13 on: Sep 26, 2008, 07:36 AM »
I got the starter to work perfectly was 2 dirty connections one on the starter the other the fuse off the ignition switch no issues in starting it now   added a cigarette lighter so I can charge the battery easier and have a power port for my GPS    prior to me it blew all the light bulbs so I'm still searching for the regulator  I bought the regulator was less than 20 bucks    but the headlight bulbs are 15 each!   and gauge lights 5 bucks each  so I figure it is cheaper to change it now  while it is warm    I'm almost thinking it has to be Under the engine  :(

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #14 on: Sep 26, 2008, 09:46 AM »
Here it is!

Offline RIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • the tank!!!
« Reply #15 on: Sep 26, 2008, 10:33 AM »
how much did u pay for the sled?
How are the edges ?

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #16 on: Sep 26, 2008, 10:45 AM »
much less than a grand :)

Offline CMMahy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Oct 21, 2008, 05:02 PM »
Nice sled, looks to be in excellent shape! If you're already changing the light bulbs and plan on doing a lot of riding in the dark, check your local parts store for a new high output 100W/80W Xenon headlights (100watt high beam, 80watt low beam, stock bulbs are 60w/50w), I ran one for a year and a half in my 1995 Formula Z 583 and loved it, gives you double the headlight output, but still leaves plenty of power left over for hot-grips and heated visors, they're only a few dollars more than a standard bulb. It's a common automotive style headlight bulb, so just match the plug style. As far as the voltage regulator, check the back of the crankcase underneath the carbs, or behind the airbox on the tunnel, close to the fuel pump. Never owned a Triple cylinder ski-doo, so I can't say for sure. Hope this helps.
A bad day of fishing beats anything else I'd be doing today.....

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #18 on: Oct 21, 2008, 05:24 PM »
I found stock bulb that skidoo sold for 15 bucks at my local parts store  for 5.31   :)   and I found the regulator  :(  under the engine  have to pull the pipes off but was able to remove the chaincase to clean and inspect it and refill   (seemed to be metal filings in there  but all is well :) )   I just want to know what idiot in their right mind would put an electrical device under an engine  :(   It still might be too much sled for me  lol

Offline CMMahy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Oct 22, 2008, 08:28 AM »
Glad to hear you've got it figured out! metal fillings in the chain case is par for the course, just make sure the chain tension is set properly as that's the main reason people snap chains. I'm not sure what kind of winters you get in Maine, but I know back in northern Ontario we get a fair bit of slush under the snow out on the lakes, and the first time you try and cross a lake with 10"+ of slush, you're thankful for every pony under the hood, plus the long track will help a bunch. 

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #20 on: Oct 22, 2008, 08:32 AM »
We get the same winters as you basically cold nasty  jan thaws rains ect  One thing with the weight of this puppy I know I dont want to get it stuck!  570 lbs    it will be there till spring!   last few years we have had the slush issue :(   basically if its that bad out comes the ol 1972 elan to break trail   lol

Offline CMMahy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Oct 22, 2008, 08:44 AM »
Aaahhh the trusty Elan, is there anything they can't do?

Offline stumper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Never settle for less
« Reply #22 on: Oct 23, 2008, 06:47 PM »
We get the same winters as you basically cold nasty  jan thaws rains ect  One thing with the weight of this puppy I know I dont want to get it stuck!  570 lbs    it will be there till spring!   last few years we have had the slush issue :(   basically if its that bad out comes the ol 1972 elan to break trail   lol

You will be very suprised how well that machine handles slush. I used to ride my 98 700 F3 on open water.If it wants to "dig" down in the slush,tighten the adjuster on the rear suspension.

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #23 on: Oct 24, 2008, 07:32 AM »
at 570 lbs If I see slush anywhere I wont be on it!

Offline stumper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Never settle for less
« Reply #24 on: Oct 24, 2008, 06:35 PM »
at 570 lbs If I see slush anywhere I wont be on it!
Just keep in mind that it will go across open water IF YOU HAVE TO. I watched a guy go for a swim one night becoause he rode up on an open spot and paniced. He slid right in when he would have sailed right across it.

Offline greenbackhunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Oct 25, 2008, 08:54 PM »
I love my formula III... bought it from my boss in fargo, brought it back to winnipeg. He upgraded the suspension to the SC-10, wicked fast sled, put my auger caddy on the back. My only fault is mine has no reverse.

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #26 on: Oct 25, 2008, 09:07 PM »
between the electric start and the reverse is why I got it  sure wasnt for the speed   dont need the speed!

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #27 on: Nov 24, 2008, 12:26 PM »
24th of Nov!  took the F3 for a spin around the yard   yup it has def got some power and Being the procrastinator (though well intentioned as I bought all the studs and all) now I have to put the studs in  interestingly it seemed that it took almost 5 grand to initially engage the clutch to get it off the trailer   I def now see it could be a fast sled   but I do like the reverse!

Offline stumper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Never settle for less
« Reply #28 on: Nov 24, 2008, 01:51 PM »
Once you get some time on it the clutch engagement may come down a bit. They will get a bit sticky sometimes from sitting. If it dont its just a matter of changing out the springs. Actually on my 98 there was an adjustment on them clutches....might be on yours too.

Offline keepah seekah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Nov 24, 2008, 02:06 PM »
570 pounds, wow.....that's a heavy pig. but then again, triples are known to be heavy. i say good call on puttin studs in. i wouldn't wanna get stuck with that thing either. just remember if ya get into slush with that sled....grab a handfull and hold on.
i am a big supporter of PETA...."People Eating Tasty Animals"

"the green hornet strikes again gustafson!!!!"

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.