Author Topic: 1990 Tundra LT  (Read 2160 times)

Offline pbear

• IceShanty Rookie
1990 Tundra LT
« on: Oct 27, 2015, 11:17 AM »
I picked up a tundra 250.  Not with pogo shocks.  I'm curious if anyone has had any issues with the tundra not wanting to start after it is warmed up.  It starts easily with 2 primes bit after it runs for 20-30 minutes it cuts out.  It will start, rev up for one second then die.  Any suggestions?

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: 1990 Tundra LT
« Reply #1 on: Oct 27, 2015, 01:47 PM »
Change the plugs, always a good annual maintenance item.

I had a late 80's sled that did the same type of thing about five years ago, it was a fuel delivery issue. Check and/or replace the fuel filter and fuel lines. Clean the carb. If that doesn't do it, next stop is the fuel pump. Hope this helps, good luck.

Offline BIGCREW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Oct 28, 2015, 08:47 AM »
I read your post and you say you picked up a tundra,so I'm assuming you just got it recently, if you are letting it run in one spot not actually driving it can be causing it to get very hot,and also may be vapor locking on you,letting a sled sit in one spot idilng for extended periods of time is one of the worst things you can do

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #3 on: Oct 28, 2015, 09:31 AM »
Rebuild the carb and replace, or place a fuel filter in the line.  New fuel lines are in order as well. 

luv2fish2

« Reply #4 on: Oct 28, 2015, 11:00 AM »
Rebuild the carb and replace, or place a fuel filter in the line.  New fuel lines are in order as well. 
yeah same gig while you got the carb off rebuild fuel pump, start with  easiest thing first take a can of starting spray and spray next to clutch and recoil  to check crank case seals if it revs up there bad usually if a warmed up issue seals are bad or impulse line to fuel pump or pump itself  but there's not given thing still good to replace / rebuild anything to do with fuel every few years check the intake tube going to the motor from the carb they dry rot and crack and their only 8.00 to replace i had 2 single cyl doo's go bad

Offline pbear

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Oct 29, 2015, 09:56 PM »
I bought it in the spring just before all of the snow melted.  We should be getting snow in the next few weeks and may need to use the sled while we are moose hunting in late November/ early December.  The sled has lots of power for a 250 and the compression is great.  I was suspecting a coil based on some reading I did when the problem first came up but don't know enough about snowmobiles to make a diagnosis.  The sled always ran great when putting around in a friends yard.  It was only when run for a few miles that the issue started. 

Offline BIGCREW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Nov 03, 2015, 05:44 PM »
It could be a cracked coil then,but I wouldn't rule out a fuel problem either,if you could find the specs on the coil resistance and see if its good or not would help before buying one

Offline pbear

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Nov 18, 2015, 10:57 PM »
Coil is changed.  Sled starts easier now and the resistance was off compared to new one.  Now just need snow.

Offline tundra redneck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 13, 2015, 07:42 PM »
Coil is changed.  Sled starts easier now and the resistance was off compared to new one.  Now just need snow.
mine does the same thing usually when I get a flag through, so I put estart in this spring

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.