Author Topic: What Snowmobile?  (Read 1312 times)

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
What Snowmobile?
« on: Nov 16, 2013, 06:49 PM »
I have been thinking about getting a snow machine this year. Don't plan on anything new and not anything over $2000. I found two so far. One is a SkiDoo Rotax 670 Grand Touring Se and the other is a Yamaha 700 Vmax. The Skidoo is a two up machine which is what I would like so I can haul the wife with me. Not sure about the Yamaha.  $1000 for the SkiDoo and $1500 for the Yamaha.
The guy with the Skidoo also has a Polaris Indy RMK 700 for $1000.
The Yamaha has 1800 miles
SkiDoo has 1100 Miles
Polaris has 1100 miles.

Any thought on this? I have never owned a snow machine before and don't know what to look for as good and bad.
I only will drive this on trails to a lake and never any other off trail trips.
<===Lefty===

Offline osiris

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: What Snowmobile?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 16, 2013, 08:44 PM »
ive always been a polaris fan but if your not going off the trails id say the grand touring should have more features and room for what your using it for, as for checking them out id say atleast do a compression check 

Offline Whitefish Slayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 17, 2013, 05:54 AM »
All pretty low miles on the machines.  I've always been a Ski-Doo guy and have had great luck with them.  The 2 up would be great for the wife and that motor will haul both of yas and gear with ease!!!  You will enjoy the GT on the long hauls

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Nov 17, 2013, 09:35 AM »
Thanks for the input guys. I will be going to look at the Skidoo and the Polaris today. I think the GT will be the best bet. Looks like new in the pictures I can see of it. He said they have both been in a garage since new.
<===Lefty===

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #4 on: Nov 17, 2013, 09:46 AM »
Can't go wrong with any of those, lefty. I'm a lifelong Yamaha man, but for riding with the Mrs. the best bet might be the Ski-doo. Tons of Polaris/RMK's around here; since they were made here. Good, solid machine. No major issues with any of them. It's kinda like the Chevy/Ford/Dodge thing; whatever works for you.
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Nov 17, 2013, 01:26 PM »
Well I got back from looking at the Ski Doo and it looked pretty good but when I revved it up just before the clutch kicked in I could feel a miss. I noticed it had 2006 Tags on it which means it hasn't been registered for 7 years. You got to love it when a little kid comes out with the owner. I asked him how long he had the machine and he said 2 years,the little girl said only one year and they kinda had an argument about it then when he told her to shut up I lost interest.. I know it is a 2 stroke but I thought is was a little hard to start and blew too much blue smoke out of it when revved. I didn't even look over the Polaris since it wouldn't hold the wife and I. Thanks for all your help ,I think I might hold off looking until I have someone with me that knows more about Snowmobiles.
<===Lefty===

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #6 on: Nov 17, 2013, 01:36 PM »
That bites!!! Good thing you found out, though. Really have to watch out for that with sleds and ATV's, they get used hard, and a lot do not get proper maintenance. Good luck!!  ;)
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Nov 18, 2013, 10:39 AM »
If you aint mechanically inclined get someone who is to look at the sled. Otherwise its gonna be a crapshoot-
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.