Author Topic: Friday da 13th at 'Da-Newt'  (Read 1272 times)

Offline k2muskie

• Team IceShanty Regular
Friday da 13th at 'Da-Newt'
« on: Jan 14, 2012, 08:52 AM »
Was introduced to this forum by Mr. Dubob and here's our first post with many more to follow...   ;)

Arrived at Newton a little before 9am air temp 10*. Departure at 3pm air temp was 28*. Ice is 11" again clear solid. Shorelines not problem. Drove down the ramp and parked on the shoreline...no snow at all...Ice has snow possibly 1/2" recommend spikes on boots just for safety.

Started out in about 43' of water that produced last outing 2 weeks ago...but this outing produced Nada...So decided to explore the holes I punched earlier...moved to the one farthest away 50' or so...dropped down the flasher transducer...dar be fish down there dropped down the offerings and it was fish on...so got fish'n partner and moved the gear to this area punching 6 more holes in various areas. The magic Newton depth this trip was 37-38'.

Now as we're sitting at our new found hunting area finally finding them vertical stripped bottom dwellers...noticed an ATV coming on the ice from the west side and appeared to be vectoring towards us...hmmmm who could it be  ???....low-n-beholden it was Mr. Dubob chatted with him via phone the night before and told him where we'd be at...pleasant surprise indeed and great seeing him sharing a day on the ice chatting, hanging out and catching  :icefish:

Lures used were white glow Nuclear Ants under Halis tipped with waxie or snippet of crawler or White Chroma Glow Crappie Nibblet including a combination of all 3 baits.

Only 1 group down the reservoir and another guy with pup by the dam...they left and again we had 'da-Newt' all to our little lonesome selves...as we we're calling it a day a party of 3 came on the ice...chatted with one fella briefly as he saw we were packing up and wanted to know how we did and what we used.  Passed along info to him and off the ice we went.

So for Friday the 13th my fish'n partner and I each ended up with 13 Perch each...interesting. Average size was 8.5-9". Not as large as last time but still a mess of Perch and fun to catch them ratty-tat-tat critters. Dead sticking no fish for us, had to have rod in hand jigging ever so slightly pause, then jig, pause and when they wanted the offering be quick and watch the spring bobber or you'd miss the hits...we missed many today.  I have to say overall being our 5th trip and our 4th to Da-Newt the Perch bite has been one of working finnese...not the usual bite we've experienced in the past years.

All-n-all a great time on the ice we mananged a few of them Walleye kin, fished with Dubob a great guy, beautiful day, we weren't at w-o-r-k what more can one ask for. ;D

;) ;)

Offline Hoosier

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Bucket,some bait and,,what did she ask me to do??
Re: Friday da 13th at 'Da-Newt'
« Reply #1 on: Jan 14, 2012, 10:16 AM »
Man,I gotta say,great first post and definalty a sucessfull day on the ice.. JT

Offline Dizzy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 14, 2012, 05:51 PM »
Welcome to IS.com k2muskie... heck of a 1st post and a nice pile of perchies!

Offline theguide

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 14, 2012, 09:21 PM »
Looks like a pretty good day. Beat my Friday the 13th outing. Finally got my brother to go to Rockport with me. I've been having some really good days there this year and rubbing it in his face while he's been working. I'm lucky to have 3 day work weeks. So after telling him about how good it's been, we get a total of one bite all day. At least he got that, but unfortunately missed the hook set.  Looks like we might have to make a trip to Newton someday. Just wish it was a little closer.

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Wishin I was Fishin><{}:>
« Reply #4 on: Jan 15, 2012, 12:43 AM »
Welcome to IS K2, as always good post (lurked you gals for awhile on BFT, UWN ;D) and great haul. Good to see some good eats in the sink ready for the knife
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline dubob

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Life is good!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 15, 2012, 05:35 PM »
Thanks for the ever so kind words - and welcome.  It was indeed a great day on the ice and the company was ever so grand.  I'll be back up there this week sometime.  Planning on staying after sundown for a go at the crappie for a couple of hours.  I took home 9, so our total for the day would be 35.  Life is good.   ;D
:thumbsup:
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I’m 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
“Free men don't ask permission to bear arms.” ― Glen Aldrich
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don’t mind.” ― Dr. Seuss

Offline k2muskie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 16, 2012, 08:29 AM »
Thanks for the ever so kind words - and welcome.  It was indeed a great day on the ice and the company was ever so grand.  I'll be back up there this week sometime.  Planning on staying after sundown for a go at the crappie for a couple of hours.  I took home 9, so our total for the day would be 35.  Life is good.   ;D

How would doing a night time trip to the View sound??

Offline dubob

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Life is good!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 16, 2012, 08:51 AM »
How would doing a night time trip to the View sound??
I'm in - let me know when.
:thumbsup:
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I’m 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
“Free men don't ask permission to bear arms.” ― Glen Aldrich
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don’t mind.” ― Dr. Seuss

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Wishin I was Fishin><{}:>
« Reply #8 on: Jan 16, 2012, 04:05 PM »
Good times on the nite fish im hooked  ;D  If you want a good but inexpensive lite for in the tent look at  the one i picked up at walmart  its above where the tents are and has 24 leds 48 lumens, even comes with batteries and a carbiner clip. Works just about the same as the $30 200 lumen 4D's required not included coleman lantern I also purchased at the same time. Tent one is defiantely a lot lighter.  Depending what i got going on the nite you guys go i might be able to make it up also, if.you don't mind some more company?
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline Duneman101

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 17, 2012, 09:41 AM »
nice to see ya on here K2...  great job on the mess of perch.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.