Author Topic: Apple Smoked Salmon  (Read 5748 times)

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
Apple Smoked Salmon
« on: Feb 03, 2009, 03:16 AM »
Here's a recipe a buddy of mine passed on to me.  It's a very mild and extremely tasty smoked salmon that doesn't overpower or give you heart failure from the salt! 

Apple Cider Cured Smoked Salmon

1 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup salt
4 cups apple cider or juice
2 cups of water
2 cinnamon sticks
1 teaspoon fennel seeds
1 teaspoon whole allspice
1 teaspoon black peppercorns
1 bay leaf
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
6 sprigs thyme or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme

To make the brine: In a saucepan, combine the brown sugar, salt, apple juice and water and bring to a boil. Add the remaining brine ingredients, remove from the heat, and cool. This brine can be made 2 to 3 days in advance and kept in the refrigerator. Multiply this recipe 4 times and cure about 10 lbs. of salmon. Leave it in the brine for at least 12 hours. I recommend 24 hours. After brine is completed rinse it and transfer to racks for drying.  Let the fish dry on the rack until no visible wetness appears and it looks like a skin has developed.  Next, move it to your smoker.

Smoke it with apple chips at around 200 degrees or for close to 4 hours or to desired texture. Just before the salmon is done to your satisfactions baste it with the following.

1/2 cup honey,
1 cup maple sugar
1/2 cup of brown sugar

To make baste: In a saucepan heat the ingredients until brown sugar is dissolved.
TEAM ALASKA

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.