The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: champlain bass season?  (Read 548 times)

Offline perchhauler

• Team IceShanty Regular
champlain bass season?
« on: Feb 09, 2013, 05:19 PM »
just wondering why the bass season is closed during the winter on lake champlan? It would be nice to keep a nice one or 2, as im sure they taste better through the ice.  there seems to be plenty of them, a lot more of them than walleyes yet we can keep several of those.  i think if we could extend the season to april 1st, up the size to 12 inches, and bring home 3 a day the population wouldn't suffer much. i bet the crappies would like it too!

Offline tracker one

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • if you ain't gonna eat em,throw em back
Re: champlain bass season?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 09, 2013, 08:34 PM »
forgettaboutit!

Offline ICE_HOOK

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Fish now or never !!!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: Feb 10, 2013, 06:12 AM »
They save them for the big ice fishing tournaments! Don't want them overfished before the season starts. [ open water ]

Offline ssinvt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 10, 2013, 06:44 AM »
Plus the state wants Champlain to be known as a bass fishing lake.  They are trying to get the pro's here to fish the summer tournaments. 

Offline tracker one

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • if you ain't gonna eat em,throw em back
« Reply #4 on: Feb 10, 2013, 06:54 AM »
I hate to do this but I will give my honest opinion on this,,,I think LC should leave the bass seasons the way they are,I do not want to see an ice fishing season for bass opened on LC. I have seen ice hogs clean out northern pike populations with no regard for the future of the pike population. When people kill dozens of northerns in a day just because they can and leave them on the ice for the birds,just think what would happen to bass,and bass are good to eat. I know there are plenty of people that keep them now fully knowing  it is illegal. They get hit hard by ice fisherman on Bomoseen and other lakes where it is allowed and I think that is enough.You can say what you want about summer bass tourney fishermen,but at least they catch and release.I love being able to go to LC in the summer with my boat and still be able to catch 20 or 30 bass in a morning of fishing,I would hate to see that dissapear,and yes, I keep a few to eat once in a while.

Offline ssinvt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 10, 2013, 07:03 AM »
I hate to do this but I will give my honest opinion on this,,,I think LC should leave the bass seasons the way they are,I do not want to see an ice fishing season for bass opened on LC. I have seen ice hogs clean out northern pike populations with no regard for the future of the pike population. When people kill dozens of northerns in a day just because they can and leave them on the ice for the birds,just think what would happen to bass,and bass are good to eat. I know there are plenty of people that keep them now fully knowing  it is illegal. They get hit hard by ice fisherman on Bomoseen and other lakes where it is allowed and I think that is enough.You can say what you want about summer bass tourney fishermen,but at least they catch and release.I love being able to go to LC in the summer with my boat and still be able to catch 20 or 30 bass in a morning of fishing,I would hate to see that dissapear,and yes, I keep a few to eat once in a while.

I totally agree with you.  I only do catch and release for bass.  I too love catching them in the summer there. 

Offline MRwalleye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 10, 2013, 11:30 AM »

Agree 100%. I know a lot of people will Birch, but Lake Champlain has one of the best bass fishery's and a lot of money is brought to the surrounding communities because of them, through pro bass tournaments, family vacations, etc.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.