The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Whitefish in Champlain?  (Read 9532 times)

Offline thebigwiggle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Love IceFishing for SMELT,PERCH,BLUEGILLS,CRAPPIE,
Re: Whitefish in Champlain?
« Reply #30 on: Jan 23, 2013, 08:20 AM »
Are white fish and white perch the same thing or not?

white fish , Cisco and white perch are three different species of fish. if you read up , i explain the difference between them and how you determine each species .
I do all types of fishing; but I am Die hard Ice angler.
I love Ice Fishing the lakes of Rutland County. Recently moved to NY and now will be Ice fishing the Lakes Of New York.

Offline thebigwiggle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Jan 23, 2013, 08:35 AM »
I highly doubt that what people have been catching so regularly are whitefish, especially when talking about being suspended in the water column or getting into clouds of them.  Rarely will an angler actually be able to catch a lake whitefish.  In most of the cases listed below, I could bet either cisco or white perch were being caught. 

Lake whitefish used to be highly prevalent in Lake Champlain and were commercially fished until the turn of the century.  Stock depletion caused the state to close this fishery and the species has since fallen into obscurity here even though its one of the most commercially valuable fish in the Great Lakes.  Whitefish are deep, coldwater benthic fish that feed off the bottom on various mussels, amphipods, various other invertebrates, and even fish eggs.  Thus, running spoons 40 feet down in 100+ feet of water is pretty much a guarantee that you aren't catching whitefish.  The mouth is the key characteristic difference against our cisco, but the whitefish's mouth is actually slightly inferior allowing it to feed off the bottom.  Since it is inferior, and is actually pretty small, the only real way you could potentially catch one is to be using a tiny jig right on the bottom in pretty deep water. 

A recent UVM master's student just completed great research project on lake whitefish.  There is a lot to it, but his thesis is definitely worth at least a glance through if you are interested in knowing pretty much all there is to know currently about whitefish in the lake!  If anyone does catch one angling or icefishing, pass along the information.  UVM researchers would be ecstatic to hear where and how!

https://library.uvm.edu/jspui/bitstream/123456789/305/1/Seth%20Herbst.pdf

i appreciate the info on the whitefish and i Just want you to know that i use to do charters on lake Champlain and still fish the big lake very often and i definitely know the difference between the White fish and Cisco, and i will tell you this i have gotten plenty of white fish trolling  small spoons for Salmon and Lakers over the years , yes i have gotten allot more Cisco then white fish , but they are catch-able this way . I also use to fish for them when  the ice is good on lake Champlain and i have caught them out of Arnolds bay in Panton,  basin harbor and converse bay.
With recent catches i caught last year during the LCI fishing Derby , maybe the population is coming back.
I love Ice Fishing the lakes of Rutland County. Recently moved to NY and now will be Ice fishing the Lakes Of New York.

Offline NH piker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I'm tracker2011 on MFF
« Reply #32 on: Jan 24, 2013, 05:33 PM »
I think you guys are right. I caught Cisco's...All I know is that they smelled and seemed oily when I took them off the hook..I caught them with downriggers over 100 to 400 ftw...I was fishing mostly 65 ft down when I caught those things. Are Cisco any good for anything?

Offline putback

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Jan 24, 2013, 06:52 PM »
Whitefish can be a challenge to catch. Usually deep, light biters, soft mouth. They had quite a following back pre 1970s, at one time a market fish. Had a couple old guys show me the basics back in the '80s. Yea, they've gone unnoticed for a while. Deep water, I've found them in Champlain out from Georgia shore access, eagle mt harbor, and east of Buttler Island. Light setup, small offerings, usually on/near bottom. It was common to attract them with decoys and an skilled angler can bring them up like smelt. I CAN"T, but I sat and watched a guy do it! This guy fished them with a small red bead on a # 8 or 10 treble hook. His buddy used a small silver willow leaf spoon 5/6 inchs drop line and a small treble tipped with tiny piece of cut bait. It takes some persistence to get the hang of it, you often think you're dealing with smelt or sm perch. Lot of lip sticks and tear offs within the 1st few feet, they need a soft hook set and gentle lift. Worth the effort if just for the challenge. They are exceptional eating, lite flakey flesh. Definitely not the Cisco, cat food often in the shallows. I've had my best luck with 2 lines. One, the willow spoon/cutbait. The other a heavy lead sinker tapping/"puffing" the bottom ocassionaly. Draw back is that seems to attract Burbot that can raise hell with a light 6# setup.

Offline rboot

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #34 on: Jan 25, 2013, 06:02 AM »
no completely different
<br />Ice Fish Vermont

Offline kaos12fly

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #35 on: Jan 25, 2013, 10:01 AM »
If anyone this winter or fishing in the summer catches either a whitefish or cisco, please let me know!  I work for a couple different researchers at UVM and both were very intrigued about people catching whitefish in the middle of the water column.  Details on where and depth would be awesome.

An additional request: If anyone catches a cisco, can we possibly have it?  Not much is known about cisco in the lake, and we are looking to collect some preliminary data from some fish to determine how to proceed.  We would be happy to pick them up ourselves.  If anyone is interested in this, or has any questions, send me a PM and I would be happy to provide details.

Offline thebigwiggle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Jan 25, 2013, 10:38 AM »
Whitefish can be a challenge to catch. Usually deep, light biters, soft mouth. They had quite a following back pre 1970s, at one time a market fish. Had a couple old guys show me the basics back in the '80s. Yea, they've gone unnoticed for a while. Deep water, I've found them in Champlain out from Georgia shore access, eagle mt harbor, and east of Buttler Island. Light setup, small offerings, usually on/near bottom. It was common to attract them with decoys and an skilled angler can bring them up like smelt. I CAN"T, but I sat and watched a guy do it! This guy fished them with a small red bead on a # 8 or 10 treble hook. His buddy used a small silver willow leaf spoon 5/6 inchs drop line and a small treble tipped with tiny piece of cut bait. It takes some persistence to get the hang of it, you often think you're dealing with smelt or sm perch. Lot of lip sticks and tear offs within the 1st few feet, they need a soft hook set and gentle lift. Worth the effort if just for the challenge. They are exceptional eating, lite flakey flesh. Definitely not the Cisco, cat food often in the shallows. I've had my best luck with 2 lines. One, the willow spoon/cutbait. The other a heavy lead sinker tapping/"puffing" the bottom ocassionaly. Draw back is that seems to attract Burbot that can raise hell with a light 6# setup.

Well said.. i have caught  them this way , but it can be a challenge. i have not caught one this way in years though. very good table fare.

Offline jeffish2003

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #37 on: Jan 25, 2013, 07:19 PM »
I caught one large one..about 20"  and 3-4 pounds in Willsboro Bay bout  years ago. Jigging.....swedish pimple

Offline Perch Poacher #1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #38 on: Jan 26, 2013, 06:11 PM »
Last year at the Cow banks. By the buckets

Offline tench

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #39 on: Jan 26, 2013, 11:40 PM »
Last year at the Cow banks. By the buckets

Whitefish aren't white perch...
The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable,
a perpetual series of occasions for hope.
~John Buchan

Offline perchhauler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Jan 27, 2013, 06:17 AM »
I think there are a lot of fish in Champlain we don't think we have. I personally saw one I could not believe. Call me a liar and a nut but I have seen a Striper caught in a creek mouth that went 25 pounds! Called the state biologist and he said not that he knew of. There were more there as they were busting bait. I wish I had a camera in my phone then.

a 25 lb stripped bass would be fun on a jig pole, lol But then again, so wouldn't champ....

Offline jbrown

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Gary Owen
« Reply #41 on: Feb 05, 2013, 06:34 AM »
The young fella caught this stripper in late spring on a pole and i was surprised he landed it. he was running up and down the bank with it.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.