The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Lake Rescue in Ludlow  (Read 8132 times)

Offline Spike

• IceShanty Rookie
Lake Rescue in Ludlow
« on: Jan 07, 2011, 11:48 AM »
Anyone have reorts on this lake.  Been two years sice I've fished it.  Have caught decent perch (9-10's)
But mainly rainbows.  Is the activity still the same?

Offline Fish-On-VT

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The Duff Shack!
Re: Lake Rescue in Ludlow
« Reply #1 on: Jan 08, 2011, 08:30 AM »
Been closer to 3 years for me... but I imagine the fishing is the same  ;)

Tip Up !!! :tipup:

Offline DyingBreed

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • DYING BREED
« Reply #2 on: Jan 08, 2011, 11:27 AM »
Still the same...crappy access to main lake but round pond still produceing and good access. :icefish:  Stinkin ski areas. Oh well.
If the women don't find ya handsome, they should at least find ya handy !  Fish on, gotta go ..........!!!

Offline Spike

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 08, 2011, 11:56 AM »
Thanks alot guys.  Sounds like round pond, as usual, is the access for enjoing a long walk around to the main lake.

Offline tipuppppppppp

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • get the gaff
« Reply #4 on: Jan 08, 2011, 10:46 PM »
i have been thinking of heading down that way for a few yrs now but haven't got there, i have fished it a few times in the summer with good numbers of fish caught.  just wondering on the trout situation, how many do u catch and whats a good area and depth to try.  i would assume smaller bait would be better, but u know what happens when u assume. how big do the trout run in there.  there are lakers and rainbows right/

Offline Fish-On-VT

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The Duff Shack!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 09, 2011, 12:02 PM »
Most any part of the lake is good to fish; depending on the day you could catch 2 fish or 18 fish... as far as depth, trout can be at any level, so I like to start out at 4' under, 8' under. & 12' under the ice; then adjust my other tip-ups to the depth with the most action.

Good Luck!

Offline DyingBreed

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • DYING BREED
« Reply #6 on: Jan 09, 2011, 02:44 PM »
They stopped the Laker stocking way back...they wouldn't grow. They now stock bows and some browns in the spring...Some nice perch and personaly caught a 28 in. pickeral.  Saw a fat bow come thru the hole @ round pond 2yrs. ago!
If the women don't find ya handsome, they should at least find ya handy !  Fish on, gotta go ..........!!!

Offline grasspikerel

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 09, 2011, 04:07 PM »
They do stock lakers annually in rescue
 http://www.vtfishandwildlife.com/StockingResults.cfm

Offline Fish-On-VT

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The Duff Shack!
« Reply #8 on: Jan 09, 2011, 06:58 PM »
It would appear that 100 Lake Trout yearlings (8.5") are stocked annually...

Offline dave b.

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • waitin for winter
« Reply #9 on: Jan 10, 2011, 07:37 AM »
Any reports on the ice on Rescue or Echo? Any smelt being caught?

Offline DyingBreed

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • DYING BREED
« Reply #10 on: Jan 10, 2011, 08:22 AM »
It would appear that 100 Lake Trout yearlings (8.5") are stocked annually...
That is true. When they opened up to trout thru the ice (1970 ish) We were asked to keep track of the trout caught ie: lenghth, # caught etc. In 1985 we caught two lakers that were stocked in 1973 and they were only 17 inches long now !!! When we sent the info to D.F.W. of Vt. They gave us the dates and said the program pretty much kaput (100 @ 8.5 ) due to lack of their growth in this lake. 8.5 in. trout = BAIT in a lake this size. At the time they were unsure why such a lack of consitant :unsure: growth.

Offline Spike

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 10, 2011, 09:11 AM »
Well the bows are a nice size and you seam to be able to catch them by mistake, while jigging for perch, as much as you do on tip ups.
I remember the old man at the bait shop up the road, his name was Ralph.  Told me that crappie could be caught at round pond.  This was probably 7 yrears ago.  Never found any.  Anyone ever have any luck?
Last full week in February for me!

Offline hinkydo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 10, 2011, 03:26 PM »
I HAVE FISHED RESCUE 4 YEARS AGO. GOT INTO SOME SMELT ALSO CAUGHT A NICE LAKE TROUT 22" AND THE PERCH WERE 9-10". NEVER CAUGHT A CRAPPIE THERE. ALSO WAS INTERESTED IN ANY REPORTS ON BELLOWS FALLS SET BACKS. CAUGHT SOME NICE PERCH THERE AND DID SEE A NICE CRAPPIE THAT ONE FELLOW CAUGHT.

ANY INFORMATION WOULD BE APPRECIATED I'M LOOKING FORWARD TO CATCHING UP WITH SOME OF YOU VERMONTERS.

hinkydo

Offline Fish-On-VT

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The Duff Shack!
« Reply #13 on: Jan 10, 2011, 08:31 PM »
Rainbows & Perch are all I've taken from Rescue...

Offline Lavman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Passing along the traditions
« Reply #14 on: Jan 11, 2011, 07:22 AM »
Fish-on: What were you using for bait @ Rescue? Ralph & Joans bait is no longer in business and I don't think Tyson Store sells live bait.

Offline lennyvt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 11, 2011, 09:11 AM »
3-4 years ago I was fishing echo when the game warden came down to check our licenses, he told us that they netted rescue the year before and found a 28 pound laker there  :o

Offline vtpike

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Jan 11, 2011, 11:14 AM »
3-4 years ago I was fishing echo when the game warden came down to check our licenses, he told us that they netted rescue the year before and found a 28 pound laker there  :o

I heard that rumor here last year as well. If thats the case those 100 8.5" lakers don't last real long!!! I'd like to see it!

Offline Fish-On-VT

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The Duff Shack!
« Reply #17 on: Jan 11, 2011, 11:26 AM »
Fish-on: What were you using for bait @ Rescue? Ralph & Joans bait is no longer in business and I don't think Tyson Store sells live bait.
Last time I was there, Ralph was still open... now I live in West Rutland, & have a bait shop right next door  ;D
But, I like med. shinners (for the most part)

Offline woodyvt

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • When the going is tough. The tough go ice fishing!
« Reply #18 on: Jan 11, 2011, 11:43 AM »
Still the same...crappy access to main lake but round pond still produceing and good access. :icefish:  Stinkin ski areas. Oh well.

I agree.....fished there years ago and it was always a hassle to get on and off the lake.......no public access.....only by way of snow machine.  Seems the out of staters that own most of the homes pretty much took it over for themselves.

I have a real problem with that!
The closest flag up may be the one that is behind you !

Offline fishhooker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 13, 2011, 12:05 AM »
Im headed there Friday to find some perch and perhaps tangle with some bows(accidentally) of course. I'll post a report this weekend.
"Angling is extremely time consuming. That's sort of the whole point." - Thomas McGuane

Offline hinkydo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 14, 2011, 06:51 AM »
fishhooker, Good luck keep us posted. Hope to try some hard water fishing at Rescue in Feb. with some friends.

hinkydo

Offline Spike

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Jan 20, 2011, 06:03 PM »
Has any one been on the ice at this lake yet!  I need a report just to keep the juices flowing untill third week of Feb.  Which is when i plan on cranking the auger at about 6:00 a.m.   Gotta rattle the aristocrats!!

Offline Bailbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Jan 20, 2011, 06:13 PM »
The last time there for me a nice couple with Blue plates said they would appreciate it if I did not fish in front of there cottage !!! Think what I might have said to them.As there dog $h!T 4 ft  from my sled.BB

Catching big fish is like winning the door prize!
Have to be there to win!!!!

Offline vticeman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Jan 20, 2011, 06:39 PM »
The last time there for me a nice couple with Blue plates said they would appreciate it if I did not fish in front of there cottage !!! Think what I might have said to them.As there dog crap 4 ft  from my sled.BB

and thats when i go back to the car and pull out a 30 pack of coors light and call the old lady to pick me up in the evening !! ;)
both lakes look good and are being fished!! not sure about the ice but wheelers and sleds everywhere, some smelters on each lake too.

Offline hinkydo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Jan 21, 2011, 03:51 PM »
 I've caught a few smelt there. Always interested in reports. Hope to fish there soon, miss the action.

hinkydo

Offline DyingBreed

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • DYING BREED
« Reply #25 on: Jan 22, 2011, 07:38 AM »
Ask him what they netted in Echo ??!!! You'd be surprised of the answer !!!!!!! :whistle:

Offline kencorey

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Jan 22, 2011, 02:24 PM »
COREY'S RV SUPPLIES IN WALLINGFORD  HAS BAIT INFO ON VT FISH AND WILDLIFE
SITE

Offline finlessbrown

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Jan 22, 2011, 09:52 PM »
Ask him what they netted in Echo ??!!! You'd be surprised of the answer !!!!!!! :whistle:
come on, your keeping me in suspence. what did they find?

Offline hinkydo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Jan 24, 2011, 07:15 AM »
Tell us what did they net in Echo? Was it my full bottle of blackberry brandy I lost down a hole a few year ago?

hinkydo

Offline dave b.

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • waitin for winter
« Reply #29 on: Jan 24, 2011, 09:57 AM »
The snow is deep! 18" of snow, hard walking with all the slush underneath the snow. not much activity on last Saturday. only a couple of guys fishing including me. 10-12" of ice.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.