New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: SOUTHERN N.Y. THREAD (L.I., WESTCHESTER, PUTNAM, DUTCHESS, SULLIVAN, ORANGE COUN  (Read 1092202 times)

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jiffy ProStaff/PK Lures ProStaff/Clam Powerstick
my plan this year is to hit a different lake each weekend, except next weekend..that tourney at Long Pond,,fished there already..got a couple private lakes in my back pocket if any slumps start this year... ;)

Offline pdbjr1

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Yeah I'm a redneck, I could ice fish for a living.
using raw liver strips on tip ups  for strippers

I would be interested to see if this works.  They use strips of bait in the summer why not strips of liver in winter?

Heaven is a Jack and Coke in one hand, a jig pole in the other and being surrounded by the ones that don't mind you do both.

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Holehawg, if you run out of walleye fishing spots, I got another doozie for us...a lake about the size of Huntington...I basically got GPS waypoints for it tonite....20" plus fish  ;)   8 miles from my house going down towards you  ;D

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
we would come up, but the general feeling is we need to fish local, to get tuned up. we will get together soon. greenwood is freezing up. can you say musky?? ;D
 T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Offline BCSHANTY

• Team IceShanty Regular
since the boys are staying on their home turf  this weekend...maybe i'll try the river again...them wallys gotta eat sometime.... ;) ;D topher have ya ever heard of using raw liver strips on tip ups  for strippers ..... :-\ ??? ??? ???  ...or am i getting punked.... ::) ::) ::)
Don't mean to butt in, I worked in a meat market 20 years ago and used to give away plenty of scraps of liver and chicken gizzards-when asked they always said they were for catfish, never heard of them for stripers!!!!!!!

Offline holehawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
i would love to catch a striper thru the ice ....their in the delaware...and i'll try any way to catch them...that tourny at long pond ...keep me up dated topher....i'd like to try that one...never been there....wudd also like to get a musky thru the ice...my buddy alan caught a nice one out of lower woods about 3 years ago ..the only one i ever saw come out of there....

Offline holehawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
also 2 heads up.....nooo shiner bait at callicoon sport shop til friday  at around noon...and in narrowsburg toms bait shop is closed on tuesdays.... some river ice is ready...just becareful as river ice changes fast...good luck and be safe....that said...i'm going fishing again.... ;D

Offline holehawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
we would come up, but the general feeling is we need to fish local, to get tuned up. we will get together soon. greenwood is freezing up. can you say musky?? ;D
good luck guys...huntington will be here for ya when ya ready.... ;) ;D

Offline Ice Wine

• Team IceShanty Regular
hay every boudy i just read you stuf   i would like to know how thick is the ice on swingbrage leke? i like to fish it at night for walley and crippie  this is moon-dog  i may not know how to spell to well but i can fish pirty good

Swinging Bridge has a solid 6 to 8 inches of black ice. Was out there yesterday, even had the ATV. Caught everything bluegills, crappie, perch, prickerel, bass, walleye but nothing big. We wussed out and came in at dark so didn't really make the total effort for big walleye.

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
i would love to catch a striper thru the ice ....their in the delaware...and i'll try any way to catch them...that tourny at long pond ...keep me up dated topher....i'd like to try that one...never been there....wudd also like to get a musky thru the ice...my buddy alan caught a nice one out of lower woods about 3 years ago ..the only one i ever saw come out of there....

I'll send ya the info on the Long Pond tourney....as for muskies....go to Belmont....Belmont.... Greenwood....Otisco... .the list goes on....

Offline pondbass9787

• IceShanty Rookie
hey everyone, I'm new here on the site but I'm from this area.. Ulster, Orange, Dutchess. I'm 22 years old, I live in Ulster and do most of my fishing local in these 3 counties. I love to hunt and fish, it's basically my life. I found this site about a week ago and it's great.
I've been out a few times to a small pond near my house and caught some small bass all jigging(I don't have tip ups as of right now, my uncle let someone else borrow MY stuff) I also got out yesterday to a lake in ulster county with some "homemade" tip ups Haha and jigging rods. We ended up doing pretty good with about 10 sunnies/bluegills, a yellow perch, and a 2.5 lb bass, all jigging besides the yellow perch.
Here's a pic of the 2.5 lber

I'm going to go check out another lake today so I'll post the results later.

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Welcome to the site pondbass ! nice lil bass ya got there  ;D

Offline Red Hooker

• IceShanty Rookie
NICE! Newbie also,,,great site.  :tipup:

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
welcome guys!
 T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
I don't have tip ups as of right now,

Looks like you don't need em PondBass!.... Welcome
Tastes like RockBass<br />                                             \"Official Horticulturalist of the NYRC\"

Offline dabprod

• Team IceShanty Regular
Welcome pondbass......you'll like it here ;D
HARD WATER IS COOL !!!!!

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
NICE! Newbie also,,,great site.  :tipup:
Welcome to you too, Hooker
Tastes like RockBass<br />                                             \"Official Horticulturalist of the NYRC\"

Offline dooberhoopa

• IceShanty Rookie
  • ridin' fishin' or huntin' i just wanna be outside
Any newbies wanna get out on the ice around here lemme know ill take ya out!!! always lookin for new ppl to fish with
Team MIRC NYRC chapter....ROCK BASS ON
The Official Medicine Man of MIRC
Tis better to have fished and lied than never fished at all

Offline pondbass9787

• IceShanty Rookie
thanks for the welcome guys! I went to a new lake near kingston today but didn't have too much luck. Caught a bluegill, yellow perch, and a bass and that was it. Still better to be out then not to be out at all.

Offline Hammer614

• Team IceShanty Regular
hey guys......going to go fish one of the ponds over near west point tomorrow with a buddie of mine.  Any of you ever fish them at all?   Oh and welcome to the new guys....pondbass and red.  These are a few of the fish I caught today.   
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups!!

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
thanks for the welcome guys! I went to a new lake near kingston today but didn't have too much luck. Caught a bluegill, yellow perch, and a bass and that was it. Still better to be out then not to be out at all.
Still... You didn't get the skunk on you!

Offline holehawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
a big welcome aboard to the new fellas... :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:...

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Belmont Sat AM..2 tip ups rigged for Musky, 2 for whatever else, and of course jigging with the Marcum....Holehawg, ever rig a tip up with something similar to a crawler harness with the blade and beads before?

Offline pdbjr1

• Team IceShanty Regular
welcome red and pondbass.  congrats on the new addiction (iceshanty.com)  This place is great and has lots of information.

Heaven is a Jack and Coke in one hand, a jig pole in the other and being surrounded by the ones that don't mind you do both.

Offline pdbjr1

• Team IceShanty Regular
There is reason to be happy.  Just as Topher has reported.

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/fishing.html

Offline mtbusch

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • lonelywolf
Swinging Bridge has a solid 6 to 8 inches of black ice. Was out there yesterday, even had the ATV. Caught everything bluegills, crappie, perch, prickerel, bass, walleye but nothing big. We wussed out and came in at dark so didn't really make the total effort for big walleye.
Are there enough eye to target them in sbr ? do you need a quad to get to the likely spots for eye? thanks ahead
lonelywolf lol

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
There is reason to be happy.  Just as Topher has reported.

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/fishing.html

makes me glad...two weekends out of 1 bait purchase !!!!! Its a step in the right direction...now if they would just lower non resident license fees  ::)

Offline Ice Wine

• Team IceShanty Regular
Are there enough eye to target them in sbr ? do you need a quad to get to the likely spots for eye? thanks ahead

There are tons of walleye in there but it's tough fishing. Lots of guys don't even go out until dark and then stay until the fish show up, which they often don't. But when they do it is an incredible hour of fishing and there are big ones around as well as lots of shorts. You don't need a quad, so far I do about the same if I walk 200 yards from the launch or ride off to some secret cove. Much of the shoreline is pretty predictable—rocky bottom that drops fast to 30 or 40 feet. Mostly we fish 15 to 30 feet but some guys go deeper. There's some decent perch in there too and if you hit it right you'll have steady action all day. Also there are allegedly hybrid bass of some sort and brown trout. Overall it's a tough lake and you have to put your time in but I like it because even though I'm after walleye I never really know what's going to be coming through the hole.

Anybody fish Rio?

Offline moon_dog200

• IceShanty Rookie
thank you for the up date as i live in sparrowbush  i well fish it in a few days if the wind slows down

Offline mschott

• Team IceShanty Regular
also 2 heads up.....nooo shiner bait at callicoon sport shop til friday  at around noon...and in narrowsburg toms bait shop is closed on tuesdays.... some river ice is ready...just becareful as river ice changes fast...good luck and be safe....that said...i'm going fishing again.... ;D
            If ya get in a pinch,i saw today at the rileyville country market that they have live bait not sure of quility or price,if im up that way again i'll check it out -- boss was trying to follow me around to do safety inspections did'nt want to drag ma feet ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.