New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: SOUTHERN N.Y. THREAD (L.I., WESTCHESTER, PUTNAM, DUTCHESS, SULLIVAN, ORANGE COUN  (Read 1093057 times)

Offline holehawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
are eels useable for bait on the Big D??   gonna head over to the baitshop after work to see whats available.... ;)
dont know if their legal.... but a old timer i knew used to dig up the babies and  he slayed the wallys with them...

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jiffy ProStaff/PK Lures ProStaff/Clam Powerstick
just wondered cuz every fishing show I have watched that they fish for stripers, thats what they have all used for bait.....anyways...0 for 2 on that particular bait..lots of 4-5 but no 5-6"..still have 4 more baitshops to check...

also gotta say that depending how TFB feels, I may hit Huntington by myself this weekend..so possibly open seats if anyone interested

Offline holehawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
4 to 5 may work....yes on the eels...just i don't know where to dig for the baby's...when i fished off Montague  ..we used a rubber squid looking thing....when i fished on the bay by JFK airport they used bunkers....the boys on the Hudson use eels.....little old holehawg ain't figured out the d part yet but we's working on it..... ;) ;D

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I gotta get ahold of the 1 baitshop yet..maybe some jumbo leeches may be the ticket..if I can get them...got some time to get it figured out though.. ;)

Offline holehawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
yepper...i think i'm gonna try something sunday if i'm not still bagged up from the bad company / dobie bros. concert sat. night... ;) ;D

Offline timster

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
Happy B-day Pooley :bow:
Your catching up to me ;D

Offline holehawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
hey tim ...how ya doing ??????? hows the golf game ????????????

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
well, the weekend is upon us and the weather so far is not cooperating...hopefull y Sunday the weather will be good.....

Offline holehawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
some weather we's getting....and i booked alot of roofs... ::) ::) ::)...

Offline timster

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
hey everyone
Holehawg .how's things in PA? Sounds like you have been busy! Been out golfing a couple of times.funds have been tight lately  and work has been real slow.
The wife and I did play one game in Lake George.a par 3 12 hole coarse. It was not an easy coarse ;D
I will be playing the next 2 Thursdays filling in for a buddy in his beer leage,I was hopping to play this Sat.
But I have to go to a funeral for my past Fire Chief. Being the Chief I have to be there plus he is a good friend.
Tight lines all

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
I have a question for the Southeastern Gang, I have In-Laws that live just a couple a miles from Yankee Lake. Is there public access??? They tend to sleep in and I get up with the sun, sitting on a bucket a couple hours in the morning would make the visit a lot more enjoyable.
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline holehawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
i know where yankee lake is but i think its privt.   i would drive around and look for a nra sticker on a pick up and knock on that door for permiss.  ;) ;D.....your so close to the other lakes we fish (15 minutes ) when your there ...give us a hollar...we'll show ya lakes... :tipup: :) :tipup:

Offline holehawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
hey everyone
Holehawg .how's things in PA? Sounds like you have been busy! Been out golfing a couple of times.funds have been tight lately  and work has been real slow.
The wife and I did play one game in Lake George.a par 3 12 hole coarse. It was not an easy coarse ;D
I will be playing the next 2 Thursdays filling in for a buddy in his beer leage,I was hopping to play this Sat.
But I have to go to a funeral for my past Fire Chief. Being the Chief I have to be there plus he is a good friend.
Tight lines all

we's hanging in  there over this way... :thumbsup: same ole ..same ole...been hitting a few courses...i hear ya on the funds...busy and broke is the new company name... ;)2....thought i saw ya fire rig over on 652 by the trailer guy a couple of weeks ago...i was speeding along in the dodge and thought i saw summitville f.d. on the side....my condolences on your friends passing....my old chief (callicoon ) was doing something he should 'nt have been doing and rolled a zero turn on himself...getting him a punchered lung and a trip to westchester...hes in rough shape...and hes gonna be there for some time...my gang tends to be stubburn & rammy..... :flex: :wacko: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Offline YO1157

• Team IceShanty Regular
I have a question for the Southeastern Gang, I have In-Laws that live just a couple a miles from Yankee Lake. Is there public access??? They tend to sleep in and I get up with the sun, sitting on a bucket a couple hours in the morning would make the visit a lot more enjoyable.
Hey Bart,I'm pretty sure Holehawg is right,no public access,used to ice fish it when I was a kid,my dad knew someone on the lake.

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Greetings everyone,
     First off congratulations Topher and Tfb ,also happy birthday Pooley. Just spent the last week in southern New Jersey (Ocean City) . The fishing was very slow only fish I saw being caught were fluke yesterday on minnows . Unfortunately for me I was using cut squid strips and Berkely Gulp minnows in chartreuse ,also the new Gulp Alive  in shrimp and peeler crab . Skunk city for me,but it was nice to get out fishing .
     Pooley awards would be nice just check with Rgfixit about site regulations. Cash prizes are a no go at the Oneida Lake gathering I attended everyone who wanted in on prizes brought an item for the prizes pool (Lures,jig pole ,etc.) that were divided up among the winners.

Steve

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
back from the hospital, all is ok and we have good news..we are actually at 8 weeks and 1 day along setting a tentative due date of Feb 5...Highland Tourney will still be a go Holehawg, and I hope that we can get everyone to go up this year....

Heading out early in the AM tomorrow for Huntington, got the batteries all charged, fishfinder ready, all rods and reels ready to go...crap--anyone know where to get live bait this time of night?????????? :o

Just kidding. ;D..will report tomorrow on the fishing, and hope to learn about the lake more for the ice season.. ;)

Offline holehawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
good to hear tfb is okie dokie....i think maybe we will be able to drink a toast to the arrivel of youse twos new child at highland tourney...not that this group needs to find a reason.... ;) ;D :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Well the Huntington trip was a success I think today.  I can see why the areas that we were successful fishing were as good as they were.  I found the ledges over by the fallen Gazebo, and we weren't off by much, but the areas over by the launch I landmarked some key areas with structure and holes/ledges..Over by the beer distributor, it was a deep weedy bottom with just shallow weeds/muck off the bottom...we can try that area, but we didn't mark /catch any fish there..I guess its one of those just drill holes and try for ice season...as for the backside of the lake, where the pickerel were mostly caught now has vegetation clear to the top surface of the water..I'm gonna print off a vague contour map of the lake and then scan it and post what I've found.....

as for the fishing, being the "free fishing days" in NY State, I took along a long time friend with me and we caught several medium bluegills/pumpkinseeds, 1 measley perch and 2 LM bass...no crappies, and no SM bass or even pickerel...I did get some pictures from today and when I get them downloaded, I will post..

Offline holehawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
how was the water traffic on the lake today ???????? i almost came over for a visit but my hot water tank went out last night before i hit the  dobie bros / bad company concert....blondzilla must have her hot shower sooo me played joe the plumber this morning.... ::) ::) ::)

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
hey gang, i'm back. not much to report. i'll post more tomorrow.
 T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Offline holehawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
happy birthday pooley..... :thumbsup:

Offline timster

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
Holehawg... that was me at East Coast trailer I was picking up our new trailer :flex:

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
how was the water traffic on the lake today ???????? i almost came over for a visit but my hot water tank went out last night before i hit the  dobie bros / bad company concert....blondzilla must have her hot shower sooo me played joe the plumber this morning.... ::) ::) ::)

boat traffic was light with only 3 other boats on the lake while we were out there, then about 11:15 some guy with one of those fancy bass boats decided that he needed to beat the crap out of his boat and made a couple laps within 100 feet of where we were fishing..he had the engine screaming (I think he had the trim off a bit) as it sounded like one of those lil rice burning Jap cars ;) it was ok though, we left shortly thereafter cuz my buddy had to be home by 1 ish

And again, Happy Birthday Pooley :tipup:

Offline YO1157

• Team IceShanty Regular
Hey Joe, I was up by the delaware river yesterday,over in your neck of the woods,I think ??? ??? , went over that 1 lane bridge in PA,was wondering if I was near where you live.

Offline holehawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Hey Joe, I was up by the delaware river yesterday,over in your neck of the woods,I think ??? ??? , went over that 1 lane bridge in PA,was wondering if I was near where you live.
well...if it was the skinnersfalls bridge you was 4 miles from me..i.m only 2 miles from the narrowsburg ny/ beach lake pa bridge....theres 3 one laners off of rt. 97...roleberling bridge by lackawaxen....skinners falls bridge / milanville....and the hankins /stalker one above callicoon....

Offline YO1157

• Team IceShanty Regular
I think we were below skinners,we came over the bridge fromk PA. ,made a right on 97 and there was a bar we stopped at a little ways down,Cedar something,had a nice back deck overlooking the river, we came up on our bikes, Frankie,myself,john,(apple shnapps) and Mike (still working on his house),  the next time were up that way I'll let you know,see if Blondzilla wil let you come have a beer with us! ;) ;) :clap: :laugh:

Offline holehawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
yepper i know the cedar rapids bar ....you crossed at the lackawaxen / minnasinkford bridge.....not far from me ...20 minutes....next time give me a buzz...me and the blondzilla will meet ya guys..... :thumbsup:...if ya think i'm nuts wait til ya hear her... ;)2 :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
here's the pics from Sunday that I took:

the lone keeper of the day--

the next few pics, notice the calmness of the lake and then the little wave pools in the middle of them...bait pods :o :o  and notice the dock in the background....it right by where we all fished.. :)

and the last one from the backside of the lake...where we had the gathering and the first get together: :)

I should have made the pics bigger, but oops....I am working on the map of the lake with structure markings and ledges and such so we know where they are for setting up...I can't list all the shore landmarks, but I will remember within a few feet out on the ice......

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
nice pictures topher. that map will be handy!

well, i had to work today, so i won't post much, but tomorrow i'll post some, and put up some pictures.
 T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Offline holehawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
geeze topher...when i go there ..jet skis are racing around..... ;) ;D :laugh:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.