New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: SOUTHERN N.Y. THREAD (L.I., WESTCHESTER, PUTNAM, DUTCHESS, SULLIVAN, ORANGE COUN  (Read 1091934 times)

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
you sound addicted already topher! :laugh:
 T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jiffy ProStaff/PK Lures ProStaff/Clam Powerstick
I guess I'm one of those people that once I start something, I can't stop...its more like an obsession....

Offline holehawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
very very helpful list..and 2 hrs later I left the shop...28 flies..and a few accessories to go along with them...
the list is still good ???????? the fly shop folks agreed ?????....i like to keep up dated on this stuff cause the fly tying guys are always tinker'n with the standard patterns / changing hook sizes etc...etc..ps what new toys did ya get...can ya post or will TFB cause a ruckus... ;) ;D..i didnt get to play at gander...uncle sam wacked me hard... :'( :'( :'( :'( did g-man enjoy his b-day ???????? ps topher i for got to tell ya to use black wooly bugger early on too....the ones with silver hairs mixed in are killers.....

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
well, I'll put it to you this way...only thing I don't have yet is a thermometer-but I can grab the one out of my fishtank-it's digital :)  and a vest--got a fanny pack but no vest yet--or one of them silly hats ::)--so gosh darn anxious to get out and try on water---just want to get out and go >:(

the flies on the list that I got will hold me over (less lost flies) for the first couple months....

Offline holehawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
i think i'm hitting the ny creek tomorrow before bunny day dinner....i ordered adams parachutes and blue wing olives from mr. mike...he gave me some new shad flies to try...gold / pink / green / red.... gotta get a new net...somehow mine got cut up... ::) ::) ::) if i get anything i'll post the hot fly with pics.... ;D

Offline TophersFishinBuddy

• IceShanty Rookie
can ya post or will TFB cause a ruckus

very funny Holehawg... he's just gotta fight me to get to the computer, hehe

I probably won't get back on .. so I hope y'all have a great holiday... and yes, g-man had a nice birthday celebration, thanks
....Yes, as a matter of fact, I DO fish like a girl...

Offline holehawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
just seeing if ya lurking on here TBF..... ;) ;D :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: i'm not one to start trouble.. ;) :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Offline timster

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
Hawg just left a mess on the other thread for ya

Offline holehawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
got it... ;D

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
what are we talking as to quantity of flies--how many of each should I have? today I got mostly 2 of each that I got except for the adams parachute which I got 5 of ???

Offline holehawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
depends...get 3 of each till ya see what your area's fish like...the D by me see's about 6 drift boats a day so the fish are pretty much fished over hard...i carry alot but thats because my strench of river is very fussy....the only thing thats gonna kill ya is hanging up flys on branchs and stuff in the beginning....dont worry about casting the length of the river...stop and slow up....fish ya way out slowly.. kneel on the bank & see whats happening first....fly fishing ain't  chucking & cranking like bass fishing....wait for a rise then hunt that fish...take a small minnow net and scoop the water ...see what they are eating ...dont laugh at this but i've matched many a hatch by looking at my front bumper on the dodge after crossing the callicoon bridge....you can never have too many adams...gold bead heads...hendricksons ...caddis...quill gordins...cahills...bl ue wing olives... prince nymphs.......  i think i bust off aleast 2 dozen flys a year.... ;)

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
went down to TFB's parents today for dinner, and checked the creek---got a great idea about matching the hatch...there are no fish in the creek other than what they will stock a week from Tuesday, but I waded out and was checking out the bugs--I matched a couple I caught to flies in my box--Quill Gordon's I believe...the creek isn't really that big and since they are stocked trout, I'll have my spinning rod along with the fly rod--gotta get practiced up----1 more week !!!!!!!!!

Offline holehawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
got out this morning on the callicoon creek...was pretty cold at 8 this morning...fished a gold beadhead ...brook is very low...nothing was happening...had to leave for dinner so it was a short trip...topher it sounds like your addicted... ;) ;D

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
TFB can answer that one..heading out now as the wind has died down a bit to practice cast--yes, I'll admit I'm addicted. ;D Thanks Guys... ;D

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
good luck with your addiction! :laugh:
 T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
did you get a chance to see what was going on in the bug world over there??

Offline holehawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
did you get a chance to see what was going on in the bug world over there??
really wasn't much happening... it never got above 33 degrees... i had ice in the rod guides... ::) ::) ::) part of the creek has lost its pools ..they have filled in ....cant fish below hortenville till the 18th so i'm gonna wait till then...

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
no 'ice flies'? :-\

Offline holehawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
no 'ice flies'? :-\
no ice flies... ;)  BTW congrats on going over 3000.... :thumbsup: youse hanging with the big dogs now,,, ;) ;D :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
holy crappie! i don't even pay attention to that anymore! thanks.

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I got 2 more years I think to hit 3k- ::)-by then you'll be over 10k I'm guessing ;D

Offline timster

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
Holly s#@t Pooley
We haven't hung out in years but I see your still racheting  :woot: either in person or now on the puter lol
Onley busting brother
over 3000 posts that has to be some kind of a record ??? some place :o

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
4 MORE DAYS >>>>>>>>>Fish ON!!!                     ;D

Offline holehawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
i hope to be at whitehouse  turn in chest deep water ....come on bugs... :thumbsup:

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I hear ya...but I got to start slow and get on the stockies local for a bit...first 2 weekends and in between...gives me a chance to practice before I head out to bigger water

Offline holehawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
i gotta  go to the d...the brooks by me will be packed with worm dunkers.... ;) ;D

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
they stock the 1 creek about 200 yards from TFB's parents house..got a little area all cleared out for a couple chairs n a table...my dad has a hard time standing for too long a time, so with it being his first time out since he was a kid, I got to make it comfortable for him ;)...I was mistaken, the flies I saw Sunday were Blue Quills...not Quill Gordons

Offline holehawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
sometimes topher ya gotta check the color of the bottom of the fly...(the part of the fly the fish see's...) if it has a yellow color on the bottom their yellow quills..... :unsure:

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Thanks !..it had blue wings and a blue/gray body...I confused it with the quill gordon because of the color of the body....got lots to choose from, I am trying to hard to fast to learn it all, or so I am told...but its an obsession..kinda like going ice fishing with whatever is needed, cuz you never know what they will bite on that day...but knowing what they want is 3/4 the battle...

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
slow and steady son! :laugh:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.