Author Topic: deer hunting  (Read 4255 times)

Offline canada

• Team IceShanty Addict
deer hunting
« on: Nov 12, 2018, 08:43 AM »
how is the hunt going fore those that are?

gman51

Re: deer hunting
« Reply #1 on: Nov 13, 2018, 07:48 AM »
maybe try a hunting forum....all i know is there's lots of blasting going on in the distances as i'm ice fishing. good thing i'm in a valley. lol

Offline Timetofish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 13, 2018, 07:51 AM »
Lots of small bucks, does and little ones. Big bucks will be in rut soon and running stupid, so will ice fishing start soon. So when your off to check out your lake throw your rifle in as the biggest buck you ever saw will be standing there looking at you.

muleear

« Reply #3 on: Nov 13, 2018, 07:53 AM »
I suggest everyone get out and hunt while you can this year.If the trespass laws are in force next year hunting as we know it will be done.Was fortunate enough to have a mule tag this year so good time to test the upcoming law out I got permission for a good spot shot the deer it ran about 50 yards onto the next quarter,looked up name on rm map and never heard of the guy.I retrieved the animal but next year that will be illegal

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #4 on: Nov 13, 2018, 08:18 AM »
That's the way it is in Montana. Animal dies on private ground, you can't retrieve it without permission. My thoughts are if you ask permission and they deny you the right to retrieve a legally harvested animal that was shot on public land, they should be cited for wasting a game animal.

Offline canada

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Nov 13, 2018, 10:15 AM »
That's the way it is in Montana. Animal dies on private ground, you can't retrieve it without permission. My thoughts are if you ask permission and they deny you the right to retrieve a legally harvested animal that was shot on public land, they should be cited for wasting a game animal.

very interesting

I always get perm where I hunt  Id rather be alone there rather then have someone else mess up my hunt or me mess them up.  It does get crazy in gun season here. 

Offline daniels papa

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Nov 13, 2018, 10:17 AM »
Canada does rifle season open later this year

Offline canada

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Nov 13, 2018, 10:18 AM »
depends where you are.

Its open as of nov 1 N of the N sk river   Opens nov 20 s of the river

Archery has been open since sept 1 here-  lots of cams and food out- just no shooter.  yet.....

Offline daniels papa

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Nov 13, 2018, 10:32 AM »
ok thanks I thought the south was earlier thanks

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #9 on: Nov 13, 2018, 04:08 PM »
.          Same way in Michigan

Offline whale1979

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Nov 13, 2018, 04:10 PM »
Tagged out on a decent whitetail on Oct. 14.

Offline FG Steve

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Nov 13, 2018, 07:05 PM »

Same in Idaho.  The situation described arises much less often than you might think, esp. in rifle/any weapon seasons.  Maybe larger tracts of land?
 Happiness is a wife who can outfish you.

Offline farmboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Nov 13, 2018, 08:55 PM »
Its pretty simple. Hunt on crown land if you choose not to attempt to get permission on private land. There are hundreds of thousands of acres of huntable crown land in SK.

If you don’t like that option then attempt to get permission on private land. If that doesn’t work out and you don’t want to hunt on crown land then buy your own land like so many of us have. If that’s not an option for you and you refuse to hunt on crown land then your not allowing yourself to hunt, that’s nobodyelse’s fault but your own.

Citing land owners for wasting game if they won’t allow a hunter to retrieve it is absolutely rediculous. As a current landowner myself I’ve been asked well over a dozen times for permission to retrieve “wounded” and “dead” animals. I’ve granted persmission to every single hunter on these occasions only on one condition. That I accompany them and go see the evidence or dead animal on my land for myself, along with the hunter.

Guess what...not one single time out of all those incidents could the hunter show me where the animal was wounded off my land and not once did I see a dead animal that had run onto my land after being shot on other land.

Every single time I went out with the hunter, they had either wounded or killed the animal on my posted land and tried to say it was shot off my land and ran onto my land. If it was legal to retrieve dead game on private land without permission then every hunter out there would be playing that game. End of story.

If you disagree then become a landowner yourself and spend a couple weeks in Nov on your land and you’ll soon find out what I’m talking about.

Either hunt on crown land, get permission on private land or become a landowner yourself. Pretty simple.

The only guys that will be upset about this are the ones not doing things the legal way and the right way.....

Offline bite-me7

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • pour me another one
« Reply #13 on: Nov 13, 2018, 09:31 PM »
I caught a Jackalope on my tipup today!  Barely got the horns through the hole!

Offline zforste1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Nov 14, 2018, 07:31 AM »
Its pretty simple. Hunt on crown land if you choose not to attempt to get permission on private land. There are hundreds of thousands of acres of huntable crown land in SK.

If you don’t like that option then attempt to get permission on private land. If that doesn’t work out and you don’t want to hunt on crown land then buy your own land like so many of us have. If that’s not an option for you and you refuse to hunt on crown land then your not allowing yourself to hunt, that’s nobodyelse’s fault but your own.

Citing land owners for wasting game if they won’t allow a hunter to retrieve it is absolutely rediculous. As a current landowner myself I’ve been asked well over a dozen times for permission to retrieve “wounded” and “dead” animals. I’ve granted persmission to every single hunter on these occasions only on one condition. That I accompany them and go see the evidence or dead animal on my land for myself, along with the hunter.

Guess what...not one single time out of all those incidents could the hunter show me where the animal was wounded off my land and not once did I see a dead animal that had run onto my land after being shot on other land.

Every single time I went out with the hunter, they had either wounded or killed the animal on my posted land and tried to say it was shot off my land and ran onto my land. If it was legal to retrieve dead game on private land without permission then every hunter out there would be playing that game. End of story.

If you disagree then become a landowner yourself and spend a couple weeks in Nov on your land and you’ll soon find out what I’m talking about.

Either hunt on crown land, get permission on private land or become a landowner yourself. Pretty simple.

The only guys that will be upset about this are the ones not doing things the legal way and the right way.....

Well said. its those guys that haven't shown respect for the land owners in the past and assumed that they can go wherever they want, when they want that have essentially made hunting for the rest of us a lot more restricted. I am not a land owner but i have many friends who are. We make it a habit before every season to call landowners to re affirm we have permission to access and hunt their property, and each landowner is grateful that we do. Many have even offered up equipment for retrieval and skinning if we should require it. As hunters and anglers we are supposed to be proponents of wildlife management and respect for the land and its owners. Sadly there are those out there that just don't get that.
"Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a day, don't teach a man to fish and feed yourself. He's a grown man and fishing isn't that hard" - Ron Swanson

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #15 on: Nov 14, 2018, 08:09 AM »
No one said anything about just hauling ass into someone else's land without getting permission first. Funny you guy are cool with wasting game...

Offline zforste1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Nov 14, 2018, 10:25 AM »
No one said anything about just hauling ass into someone else's land without getting permission first. Funny you guy are cool with wasting game...

or, you could read the original post....

"Citing land owners for wasting game if they won’t allow a hunter to retrieve it is absolutely rediculous. As a current landowner myself I’ve been asked well over a dozen times for permission to retrieve “wounded” and “dead” animals. I’ve granted persmission to every single hunter on these occasions only on one condition. That I accompany them and go see the evidence or dead animal on my land for myself, along with the hunter.

Guess what...not one single time out of all those incidents could the hunter show me where the animal was wounded off my land and not once did I see a dead animal that had run onto my land after being shot on other land. "
"Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a day, don't teach a man to fish and feed yourself. He's a grown man and fishing isn't that hard" - Ron Swanson

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #17 on: Nov 14, 2018, 12:33 PM »
got it, youre speaking for everyone
Just because he hasnt seen  it happen, it never happens.

Offline farmboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Nov 14, 2018, 12:47 PM »
Zforste1 your bang on, if people are respectful and friendly then you won’t have any issues with landowners. The sense of entitlement and total lack of respect is what’s gotten us to where we are now.

If people would have been respectful all along then we wouldn’t be looking at making it mandatory to get permission on any private land before going onto it.

If you are a respectful and honest hunter then it’s a good thing for you. You won’t have to worry about any slob hunters interrupting your hunt on the private land which you have permission on. If someone does enter onto the land they will be charged. End of story.

Missoulafish being from Montana you can’t hunt big game on private land up here anyways, only the forestry which is crown land which makes your input completely irrelevant on this topic.
 If you come up here to hunt birds then just get permission on the private land you want to hunt on and you’ll have absolutely nothing to worry about. It’s as easy as that.

No one wants to read a bickering match on here, especially from someone who doesn’t even live here.

Now back the hunting topic

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #19 on: Nov 14, 2018, 12:57 PM »
Exactly, respectful and helpful and kind to the landowners opens lots of doors, no one said it doesn't.
Where I live doesnt matter.
We've had just as much ground as anyone locked up do to inconsiderate hunters and fisherman. It sucks but im 100% for it if people cant figure out how to take care of their privileges.
That being said, why should a landowner not be cited for wasting game if they dont let someone drag a lawfully harvested animal off their land, if it ran their from public land where it was shot?

Offline canada

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Nov 18, 2018, 10:15 AM »
well put    I agree  terrible management by our gvt  not only on this but so many topics across the board

Offline farmboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Nov 18, 2018, 12:33 PM »
Anyways, moving on....Let’s get back to the topic here.
Peoples hunts, not opinions.

Thanks

Offline canada

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Nov 18, 2018, 12:47 PM »
Baits and cams slow  bucks out and moving locking does down  post rut will be good.

Any action fb?

Offline farmboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Nov 18, 2018, 01:11 PM »
Haven’t seen much movement yet at all but haven’t really been paying attention either. I won’t get out hunting this year so I’ll have to live vicariously through my buddies and you guys...haha.

Good luck to you guys that get out!

Offline brownfish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Nov 19, 2018, 10:10 AM »
Then you have landowners who don't know the difference between a yard and a field 3 miles from their house/buildings.  They say how would you like us to come into the city and drive in your yard.  Hey....read the hunting guide before you make stupid comments.  Hunters do not hunt within 500 meters of yards/buildings.....so we aren't driving in your yards.  You are welcome to come to the city and drive were ever you want....but stay 500 meters from home owners yards.  If you are any good at math, you will find that you couldn't drive on any street in any town/city.  You would have to stay 500 meters on the outskirts of town/city.  That is why we respect landowners that post their land.

And have you ever tried to get permission from a landowner that is wintering in Florida/Arizona.  It's you landowners that made the saying "Snowbirds" famous.  And it's funny how the Americans b***h about these landowners (oh, I mean snowbirds).

And I am not sure the landowners that posted on here know the facts on how this proposed law is being pushed through.  Just over 1600 people were surveyed.  I am sure every landowner received a survey in the mail from the gov't.  I don't know of one hunter that received the survey so they could respond.  So basically 1600 landowners voted 65% in favour.  The other 35% of the landowners don't want this law. 

I have some laws that I would like past, and I know I can get 65% out of 1600 people to vote in favour.  Especially if I hand pick the 1600 people that I mail the survey to.  HUNTERS/SNOWMOBILERS/SASKATOON (BERRY), PICKERS/BIRD WATCHERS/ETC, NEVER GOT A SAY.  And I thought Russia was a communist country. 

I think even a level headed landowner would laugh that 65% of the 1600 people surveyed could get a law past.  That's 1040 people out of our
population of 1 million.  Something very very very wrong.   

It was an online survey. I am not a land owner and I filled the survey out.

Offline BlueDevil

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Nov 19, 2018, 10:25 AM »
I got two White-Tail tags and two Antlerless Mule Deer tags to fill.  I’ll be happy with one but hoping for a White-Tail buck.  I got my muzzleloader cleaned and ready to go! :)

Ice fishing related I fired up both my ice augers the other day! :)
//.\\//.\\ark

Offline speckspotter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Nov 19, 2018, 06:05 PM »
Today on my way home from Saskatoon, a young buck was scent trailing across an open field. He paid no attention to my truck as I slowed to watch him come towards me. I also had a close encounter last Thursday night on the highway near Elfros with a buck and doe that looked like they had love on their minds. We'll see if any distracted bucks wander into the cross hairs tomorrow.

Offline Stickhick86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Nov 19, 2018, 06:22 PM »
I just hunt deep into state lands where there is no chance for it to run onto private lands.
Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to ice fish, have his wife mad for ever.

Offline jpohlic

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Nov 19, 2018, 07:11 PM »
I filled my whitetail tag on Thursday with a small 3x2 buck, ending a 5 year drought. Got him with 15 minutes of legal light left on a quarter section of conservation land in central Alberta. Finally gonna have some jerky for ice fishing!!
The more I fish, the less I know about fishing...
Send me a PM if you'd like info about how I built my ice shack

Offline canada

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Nov 21, 2018, 07:51 AM »
I ran through 5 cam checks yesterday  Some decent bucks on cam  a few settling back in after their rut, and a few with their heads down passing through

Will be sitting soon.....

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.