Author Topic: Tiger Trout in the Mountains  (Read 1615 times)

Offline Team CO.F.F.

• Team IceShanty Regular
Tiger Trout in the Mountains
« on: Jan 16, 2020, 03:16 PM »
Hello Everyone! :)

Got to get up on Grand Mesa recently and go after some Tiger Trout! My GF (Samantha) has yet to catch one of these so we really wanted to get it off her list. It was a bit of a workout getting into the lake...About a mile walk through 54" Snow (no tracks) but at least we had snowshoes!!

Ice was 20" Thick!!!! Getting a Drill Augur bit soon lol. Arms/Shoulders pretty sore after drilling holes all day...had to move around a lot to mark fish. Weather was great though, I was fishing in a hoody with no gloves most of the day!
The day was successful although we didn't land a giant quantity. Attached are some pics of the fish we caught; also a video below of the day...We got some really amazing shots of the Mesa! Hope you enjoy if you decide to check it out! ;D ;D ;D

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Tiger Trout in the Mountains
« Reply #1 on: Jan 16, 2020, 03:41 PM »
C'mon Sam, bear down girl. It would be good to get your Tiger Merit Badge. You folks are toyed up pretty well but it's sure time to add in that drill unit. Good video showing the Grand Valley in the distance.
We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

Offline Team CO.F.F.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 16, 2020, 07:43 PM »
C'mon Sam, bear down girl. It would be good to get your Tiger Merit Badge. You folks are toyed up pretty well but it's sure time to add in that drill unit. Good video showing the Grand Valley in the distance.

haha she laughed at that! We're hoping to get her into one next time!! Yes indeed, we have the Eskimo pistol bit 8" in the cart right now :) Arm was pretty sore after that day lol. Glad you enjoyed the shot, it was REALLY windy when we were taking it, that was the only footage I could salvage. Drone was getting blown all over the place!

Offline mtnhillbilly

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 16, 2020, 08:10 PM »
If your drilling 20” now your gonna love the pistol bit because it’s loooong! Nice having mine last year late season!

Offline TimK

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 17, 2020, 09:22 AM »
Nice video! Saw your post on fish explorer about Rio Blanco.  Fished it a few weeks ago got a couple bluegill and a bass but very slow for me as well.  Frankly, I just dont think theres much in that place.  Some lakes (and we'll use the term "lake" loosely when it comes to rio blanco) just dont have much for fishing ans rio blanco is one of them.  You can catch a few fish yes but youll never find what your looking for in those  waters.  At least at rifle you can get skunked but have a chance at a good day!  No chance at rio.
Friends don't let Friends use Tip-Ups

Offline Team CO.F.F.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 17, 2020, 09:56 AM »
If your drilling 20” now your gonna love the pistol bit because it’s loooong! Nice having mine last year late season!

I'm hoping so. I hear and have seen a lot of good things about that specific one. Excited to use it! Now you have a good review too. Haven't heard a bad one yet!

Offline Team CO.F.F.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 17, 2020, 09:59 AM »
Nice video! Saw your post on fish explorer about Rio Blanco.  Fished it a few weeks ago got a couple bluegill and a bass but very slow for me as well.  Frankly, I just dont think theres much in that place.  Some lakes (and we'll use the term "lake" loosely when it comes to rio blanco) just dont have much for fishing ans rio blanco is one of them.  You can catch a few fish yes but youll never find what your looking for in those  waters.  At least at rifle you can get skunked but have a chance at a good day!  No chance at rio.

Thank you very much! Glad you enjoyed....I'm sorry to hear that but also have to say, I'm glad I'm not the only one. I guess misery loves company :P ;D I've had good success fishing there open water, that's why I wanted to try it. I always catch a big number of bass, pike, and/or panfish/crappie there. I don't think i'm going to try hardwater again there though this year unless I have lots of free time haha. LOL I agree with the term "Lake" being used loosly with that place. Have you done Kenny up by Rangely?

Offline TimK

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 17, 2020, 10:06 AM »
Thank you very much! Glad you enjoyed....I'm sorry to hear that but also have to say, I'm glad I'm not the only one. I guess misery loves company :P ;D I've had good success fishing there open water, that's why I wanted to try it. I always catch a big number of bass, pike, and/or panfish/crappie there. I don't think i'm going to try hardwater again there though this year unless I have lots of free time haha. LOL I agree with the term "Lake" being used loosly with that place. Have you done Kenny up by Rangely?

Havent gone that far down the road yet.  Rio blanco is 2.5hrs for me, only so many of those trips in me per season.

Offline Bigassbassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New home, MA-->CO
« Reply #8 on: Jan 17, 2020, 10:54 AM »
Sweet!  Great video, amazing views.  Looks like quite an adventure to get up there.   ;D
Flags up, gentlemen!!!

Offline Team CO.F.F.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 18, 2020, 01:37 AM »
Havent gone that far down the road yet.  Rio blanco is 2.5hrs for me, only so many of those trips in me per season.

Dang sorry your last trip didn't work out then :( I'm going to hope to head up there in the next few weeks. Hopefully can get into all those crappie up there! I'll post a report when I do!

Offline Team CO.F.F.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 18, 2020, 01:37 AM »
Sweet!  Great video, amazing views.  Looks like quite an adventure to get up there.   ;D

Thanks man! Glad you enjoyed it, it was a workout getting in for sure but worth it! Was hoping to get one of the biggins out of there, maybe next time! :) Appreciate your support!!

Offline TimK

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 18, 2020, 09:54 AM »
Dang sorry your last trip didn't work out then :( I'm going to hope to head up there in the next few weeks. Hopefully can get into all those crappie up there! I'll post a report when I do!

Id be very interested in your results from that lake! 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.