Author Topic: Grand Lake help  (Read 1781 times)

Offline Ranger619

• Team IceShanty Addict
Grand Lake help
« on: Nov 25, 2019, 03:58 PM »
One of my sons is going to give Grand Lake a try end of January. Any suggestions you could throw out here for him ? It’s his first go at ice fishing out there in Colorado he’s ice fished back here at home in Illinois with me but just now starting out there. He fly fishes a lot out there so he’s trying to fill that void in winter LOL. Thanks Glenn
Fish as much as you can we're not here forever!

Otter Cottage Pro X Over
Marcum LX9 LX7 LX3
Thorne Bros,G Austin & TUCR Rods
Striker Lite Flite Milwaukee Fuel M18

Suzuki 750 King Quad W/Otter Monster Box

Offline Bigassbassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New home, MA-->CO
Re: Grand Lake help
« Reply #1 on: Nov 25, 2019, 04:12 PM »
I'd suggest Granby instead of Grand lake.  I'd also suggest a guided trip with Bernie Keefe on Granby in order to get the lay of the lake.  Bernie will get him set up with some good locations and great techniques to catch lakers in Granby.
Flags up, gentlemen!!!

Offline Ranger619

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Nov 25, 2019, 04:25 PM »
I know they’ve got a place booked on Grand but I’ll pass it on to him. Grand by doesn’t look to far from Grand. Thanks

Otter Cottage Pro X Over
Marcum LX9 LX7 LX3

Offline Bigassbassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New home, MA-->CO
« Reply #3 on: Nov 25, 2019, 05:00 PM »
I know they’ve got a place booked on Grand but I’ll pass it on to him. Grand by doesn’t look to far from Grand. Thanks
You can fish either lake for a chance at good fish, but better numbers of good fish in Granby.  They have the annual 3 Lakes contest on Grand, Granby, and Shadow Mountain, so all three are destination fisheries. 

If he just wants to get out on Grand Lake for some fishing on his own without a guide, I'm sure some guys here on the forum can give him some advice on where to start.  I'd say if he has various sized tube jigs, some sucker meat, and power bait, he should get into some fish.  Does he have all the necessary gear (flasher, etc)?
Flags up, gentlemen!!!

Offline Ranger619

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Nov 25, 2019, 07:01 PM »
No but we’re working on that. I sent him out there with decent rod and reel for ice fishing and some jigs but he probably needs a different rod for lake trout for sure. And Xmas is here before we know it ! Definitely has to get a flasher #1

Otter Cottage Pro X Over
Marcum LX9 LX7 LX3

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Nov 25, 2019, 08:18 PM »
Really if he just wants to mess with trout Shadow Mt. has a bunch.  The dam/ pump canal area is easy to get to.  Hang a jig tipped with something or jig a Silver kastmaster and it's a done deal.
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline Dkreager

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Nov 30, 2019, 09:11 PM »
Like others have said, granby is the better option of the 3 lakes for Lakers. As far as gear, I'm about as cheap and light as it gets. Entry sonar, look into the deeper sonar balls. It's a little ball about the size of a tennis ball and syncs to your phone or tablet. They are about 300$ I honestly love mine and it works really well, as long as the ice isnt super thick. As far as jigs, 3" or larger tube jigs in all sorts of colors, white seems to be everyone's favorite, and some good 3/8 leadheads. Tip that with a chunk of sucker meat and send it to the bottom. Find some good topo maps that are available online and start studying. Lots if structure out there, it's just a matter of how far you want to walk or ride.

Offline DrCro

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Nov 30, 2019, 11:50 PM »
Really if he just wants to mess with trout Shadow Mt. has a bunch.  The dam/ pump canal area is easy to get to.  Hang a jig tipped with something or jig a Silver kastmaster and it's a done deal.
Or jerk it real good at the mouth. Shoot hopefully that's appropriate...
Avid fishermen and lover of outdoors.

Offline ColoradoBob

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 01, 2019, 11:10 AM »
He should definitely stop in at Granby Bait and Tackle. They can give him some advice on what is working and of course will have bait, etc.

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Dec 01, 2019, 06:58 PM »
and of course will have bait,

Bait????
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline CO_Dinky

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Rippin' Lips
« Reply #10 on: Dec 01, 2019, 10:16 PM »
Tight lines!

Offline ColoradoBob

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Dec 02, 2019, 01:06 AM »
Bait????
By bait I meant frozen suckers. Does not have to be alive to qualify as bait Slayer!

Offline Raptortrapper

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Dec 02, 2019, 09:06 AM »
Can’t use live bait over here on the western slope.  Make sure any minnows are dead.  Same if you are using perch for pike.  They will nail you on this.  Just a heads up...
The next time you think you know it all, try telling someone else's dog what to do.

Offline troutbiscuits

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Dec 02, 2019, 01:48 PM »
He should definitely stop in at Granby Bait and Tackle. They can give him some advice on what is working and of course will have bait, etc.

This ^^

They are my first stop when I go to that area.

Offline DrCro

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 03, 2019, 11:32 PM »
This ^^

They are my first stop when I go to that area.
Mike is good people!

Offline Ranger619

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Dec 04, 2019, 01:23 PM »
Thanks for all the help/suggestions folks ! We booked a day with Sam Hochevar to fish Grand. Since it’s our first go around out there we thought that would be best. Learn some stuff and hopefully hit other places on our own in the future. Gotta get the kid setup with the right equipment first but I think he’ll be happy at Christmas  ;D

Otter Cottage Pro X Over
Marcum LX9 LX7 LX3

Offline DrCro

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 04, 2019, 07:11 PM »
Thanks for all the help/suggestions folks ! We booked a day with Sam Hochevar to fish Grand. Since it’s our first go around out there we thought that would be best. Learn some stuff and hopefully hit other places on our own in the future. Gotta get the kid setup with the right equipment first but I think he’ll be happy at Christmas  ;D
He'll be hooked no pun intended.

Offline grababrewski

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Dec 04, 2019, 08:43 PM »
Great choice! Can't go wrong with any of Bernie's guides. Top notch all the way (or they wouldn't be working for Bernie long) He'll have a blast! :thumbsup:

Offline CO_Dinky

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Rippin' Lips
« Reply #18 on: Dec 06, 2019, 01:34 AM »
Can’t use live bait over here on the western slope.  Make sure any minnows are dead.  Same if you are using perch for pike.  They will nail you on this.  Just a heads up...

Pretty sure most folks here know that.  My response was very much tongue-in-cheek. ;)
Tight lines!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.