Author Topic: High Alpine Lakes Near Leadville  (Read 2929 times)

Offline DrCro

• Team IceShanty Regular
High Alpine Lakes Near Leadville
« on: Nov 18, 2019, 03:01 PM »
All,

Just curious if any of you ice fished any of the high alpine lakes near Leadville. I found a random video of Slide Lake up near Leadville, the brookies the person was pulling out of there were quite impressive. I want to see if we can snow-mobile up there. Looks like it's 5 miles to 11,700feet.  Man that elevation is quite something haha, ONLY way I'm doing that is on a snow mobile.

Avid fishermen and lover of outdoors.

Offline dntbeamenace4031

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: High Alpine Lakes Near Leadville
« Reply #1 on: Nov 18, 2019, 04:08 PM »
Cool pic, I like where your head is at.  Hadn't heard of that lake, also not on the CO Fishing atlas so it could be a hidden gem (certainly low pressure).  It does look like theres a 4x4 road all the way to the lake, its route #145 on the Leadville Ranger district MVUM, and should be open to all vehicle types with the exception of being closed 3/31-7/1 presumably to protect the ground from erosion during spring runoff.  Couldnt find much info about a spot to park the trailer but it should be manageable, personally I'd lob in a call to the rangers @719-486-0749 for up to date info. 

I'm positive you'll see some amazing scenery up there, unlikely its a popular spot for snowmobiles so remember to stay the trail and don't be afraid stop if it doesn't look right.  Looking forward to some pics and drone shots good luck!

Offline Bigassbassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New home, MA-->CO
« Reply #2 on: Nov 18, 2019, 04:16 PM »
Dang, that's hardcore!  5 miles on the snowmobile to catch brookies!  Sounds like something from "Alaska the Last Frontier"!   ;D
If you go, be safe and looking forward to a movie.
Flags up, gentlemen!!!

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 18, 2019, 04:36 PM »
Splake and cutties also. Go for it.
We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

Offline DrCro

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 19, 2019, 12:58 AM »
Dang, that's hardcore!  5 miles on the snowmobile to catch brookies!  Sounds like something from "Alaska the Last Frontier"!   ;D
If you go, be safe and looking forward to a movie.
If I go by my self it’ll be a movie about my passion for fishing leading into a funeral lol. Only way I’m doing it is with another person.

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Nov 19, 2019, 09:30 AM »
You need to do it soon b4 the snow gets 10ft deep. Lakers in Slide also.You should go now and just hike to it.
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline DrCro

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Nov 19, 2019, 02:09 PM »
You need to do it soon b4 the snow gets 10ft deep. Lakers in Slide also.You should go now and just hike to it.
I was going to ask you sure it's not splake, but I stopped questioning you a long time ago. :D

I won't go by my self, but I know that place gets buried in snow.

Offline Lamar84

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Nov 19, 2019, 05:38 PM »
Colorado Wickedfisha did a good video about fishing a high alpine lake in that area a few years ago. In the beginning he talks about some of the issues he had accessing the lake. Not sure if it’s Slide lake, but same general area. I’ve always wanted to get back in there myself. Hope this helps.

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Nov 19, 2019, 06:08 PM »
Good video there. DrCro, the path lies before your feet. Hand auger might be your lightest option getting up the steeper sections on your X-country slats. Probably ought to head out

pretty soon before the ice gets 36" thick.
We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

Offline DrCro

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Nov 19, 2019, 07:21 PM »
@Lamar84,

I watched that video so many times :D

@Stinkyfingers,

I just want to find a person that wants to snowmobile up there and I'm all set. Will talk to my buddy about it, otherwise it might just be a lake I go fish in July.

Offline troutbiscuits

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Nov 21, 2019, 11:21 AM »
That lake is on my to do list! Definitely down to check it out in summer. There are some easier Brookie destinations to hike into with decent fish.

Offline DrCro

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Nov 22, 2019, 10:35 AM »
That lake is on my to do list! Definitely down to check it out in summer. There are some easier Brookie destinations to hike into with decent fish.
Yes there are but on an average i really like the sizes on this one.

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Nov 22, 2019, 11:42 AM »
If you're actually going to pull this trip off, you probably ought to bear down a little before the ice gets up to 36" . I'm picturing a feature length film this time, something like

"Doctor Cro and the Lake of Doom". I can put together a screenplay if you like. Be nice to get Russell Crowe in the title role. Maybe copter in Slayer to do the actual fishing

sequences. Is there a lovely muchacha that you have your eye on that could be tempted with the role of the gorgeous lady game warden to heat up the screen?

I believe I could use 4" of hard ice right about now or perhaps some other form of medication.
                                                               Stinky

Offline DrCro

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Nov 22, 2019, 04:10 PM »
If you're actually going to pull this trip off, you probably ought to bear down a little before the ice gets up to 36" . I'm picturing a feature length film this time, something like

"Doctor Cro and the Lake of Doom". I can put together a screenplay if you like. Be nice to get Russell Crowe in the title role. Maybe copter in Slayer to do the actual fishing

sequences. Is there a lovely muchacha that you have your eye on that could be tempted with the role of the gorgeous lady game warden to heat up the screen?

I believe I could use 4" of hard ice right about now or perhaps some other form of medication.
Bahahaha! Man I just laughed my ass off in a meeting from reading this. I need to pay attention to my tasks and not be on these forums. :p

It's is scary to read "feature length film" in your post because I called my body describing exactly that. I almost want to film a documentary style.  My goal is this... let it get enough snow up there. I have checked with a few local friends in Leadville to inquire about the amount of snow up there, it wasn't convincing enough for us to take the snow mobiles up there yet. Will wait until next week to possibly get up there if there's enough snow. We have all the survival equipment we need. I definitely don't go blind into any of these trips without planning and prep. :)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.