Author Topic: Trout time  (Read 2189 times)

Offline NanookofN-MN

• Team IceShanty Regular
Trout time
« on: Feb 05, 2014, 06:23 PM »
What is the best time of day to try for brookies and browns through the ice?
I envy not him that eats better meat than I do; nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do; I envy him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do. – Izaak Walton

Offline BackCountry Kyle

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • C'mon Sub-Zeros! Tēm Hîpē FySh <°]))}{
Re: Trout time
« Reply #1 on: Feb 05, 2014, 09:37 PM »
I like morning better than evening....7:30/8-10 being the hottest :)

Offline double_a85

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 07, 2014, 10:10 AM »
I like morning better than evening....7:30/8-10 being the hottest :)

I am with Kyle on this... one of the trout lakes I fish does great in the morning after sun up and then the bite disappears before noon.

Offline dekatronic

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 20, 2014, 09:34 PM »
I'm usually on the ice later in the day (between 10 am and sundown).  I agree with the others and I catch less fish mid day, but in my case I tend to catch more fish towards the end of the day even though I can see them swim by my line.

My regular brookie lake has steep mountains on both sides.  And in the winter the sun ducks behind the mountains by 3 pm, even though there's still another hour or so of daylight.  Whenever I see some action I'll take note of the time, and my theory is that the brookies are stimulated to feed once the sun heads behind the mountain.  Then again maybe they're just hungry at that time, but it doesn't hurt to contemplate life's mysteries lol ;)

Offline NanookofN-MN

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 21, 2014, 10:01 AM »
So it sounds like they are some active during sun up and down but can still be caught through out the day.  My next question would be are they like crappies and tend to be easier to catch at early ice and harder at mid to late or are they fairly active through the whole ice season?
I envy not him that eats better meat than I do; nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do; I envy him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do. – Izaak Walton

Offline BackCountry Kyle

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • C'mon Sub-Zeros! Tēm Hîpē FySh <°]))}{
« Reply #5 on: Feb 21, 2014, 01:58 PM »
I think they stay active throughout, bows can even be spawning late ice which can be fun. I do think they can be a bit lure shy by the end of the season tho if you're in an area that gets fished often.

Offline NanookofN-MN

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 21, 2014, 06:50 PM »
Thanks guys for all the good info. It's people like you that make this site as great as it is.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.