Author Topic: East Bass Lake/Gwinn  (Read 17574 times)

Offline pizzi22

• IceShanty Rookie
  • It's Colder than a witches titti out there.
East Bass Lake/Gwinn
« on: Dec 27, 2012, 06:41 PM »
I fished East Bass Lake yesterday with my two brother-in laws and we caught over twenty northern pike but of course they were all small... We fished them almost directly in the channel between the tip of the point and towards the east shore in 8-15 feet of water... Going to try Big Shag this weekend any suggestions on where to fish for the bigger pike on that lake? The thinnest ice was 3 inches....

Any suggestions for Johnson Lake? And if anyone needs a fishing buddy let me know.. Just retired out of the army and moved back up to Gwinn...
Would you do me the honor of accompanying me to my ice shanty tomorrow?

(Grumpy Old Men)

Offline big bobber

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • cant fish during the day...learn to fish at night
Re: East Bass Lake/Gwinn
« Reply #1 on: Dec 27, 2012, 07:02 PM »
dean?
i just know they will bite if i stay another hour.

Offline pizzi22

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 27, 2012, 07:13 PM »
No name is John Pizzi...

(Grumpy Old Men)

Offline big bobber

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 27, 2012, 07:26 PM »
due to my schedule i night fish often..just learnin how...east bass can be a tough one unless you fish it often....i would say fish where you were at ...maybe big suckers for bait will keep the hammer handles off your bait...im pretty much a panfish guy...congrats on your retirement and thank you for your service friend.

Offline pizzi22

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 27, 2012, 07:57 PM »
I have never night fished for ice fishing that could be a good time... I wouldn't mind finding some good areas for pan fish too... Yea bass lake is a good lake but most of the fish (pike) must be stunted....

(Grumpy Old Men)

Offline pizzi22

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 28, 2012, 04:57 PM »
Caught more little pike today near the peninsula, guys were fishing closer to boat launch and got a few bigger pike. One was about 35 inches... When I was leaving some eye fisherman were setting up about 200 yards right from the boat launch.

(Grumpy Old Men)

Offline MOPARDOCTOR

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Addicted to the ice
« Reply #6 on: Dec 29, 2012, 05:00 AM »
off to the right of the peninsula in the middle of that cove, there is a 30' hole and holds suspended gills and a few big pike cruise through there too.
have caught walleye off to the right as well.  to the left of that peninsula, further out than you were is a 30' channel and good for perch and walleye.
Where those guys caught the 35" pike is the best place for them, that is right in the middle of the 9 f.o.w. grass flat and is where i catch most pike.
To the left of the Peninsula and way down, close to the island, my friend does well for Crappie in the summer, don't know where they hang out in the winter yet....Thank you for your Service John Pizzi!  Hooaahh!  Maybe we can hook up next time your on East bass and I can show you my fav's.  I'll be on Engman Lk. today.
Frozen Snot....It's a fashion statement!

Offline pizzi22

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 29, 2012, 07:40 PM »
Yes sounds great to me I am always up for a good day of fishing, just let me know when.. I fish engmans lake in the summer time and catch a few pike and bass. I would love to ice fish that lake too.. I am pretty much available anytime to fish so just let me know when you have time... Thanks again I will try to find that hole your talking about... So basically it's to the right of the peninsula when standing at the launch??

(Grumpy Old Men)

Offline BiG ARN

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Dec 29, 2012, 09:41 PM »
Id like to see 30' to the left of the peninsula....ive fished that lake many times and havent seen it. Is it close to the shore?  I do know where the hole to the right of the peninsula is ....hard to find in the winter ive drilled several holes without finding it.  Done really good in that hole fishing from a boat in the summer .  The fish in my pictures on this message were caught in east bass ....walleye fishing used to be great till they stopped planting them for the last 10 years and the water wolves (pike) took over.  When i first starting fishing that lake i could catch 3-5 keeper walleye plus a couple undersize throwbacks and rarely 1 pike per trip...now its pike after pike and occassionally one walleye these days!

Offline Quantumn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 29, 2012, 09:47 PM »
I have done a ton of fishing on East Bass lake over the past couple of years. Nothing really to report for ice fishing besides hammerhandles and a 26" eye, but in the summer time I have been able to pull out a couple nice pikes, 38" and 39". And those were from each side of the peninsula.

Offline pizzi22

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Dec 29, 2012, 10:30 PM »
Okay thank you both for the info. Like I said a couple of younger guys were fishing near the launch site and they caught some nice pike... When I talked to them they said they were fishing a drop off point in that weed flat area... When I was pulling out of there a couple of people set up in the exact spot for eyes for night fishing...

(Grumpy Old Men)

Offline Quantumn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 29, 2012, 10:45 PM »
Just a fyi, my avatar pike I am holding came out of East Bass lake two years ago. It was a suprise and welcome treat for the table. :)

Offline pizzi22

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Dec 30, 2012, 12:04 AM »
Holy crap that's a nice pike for that lake... You got to show me where...

(Grumpy Old Men)

Offline pizzi22

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Dec 30, 2012, 11:38 AM »
Headed out now to east bass will give a report tonight...

(Grumpy Old Men)

Offline Quantumn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 30, 2012, 11:44 AM »
Best of luck sir and  looking forward to the update.

Offline MOPARDOCTOR

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Addicted to the ice
« Reply #15 on: Dec 30, 2012, 12:04 PM »
My lakemaster chip for my GPS puts me on the hole in the winter, lots of gills in and around there if you miss the hole.
Last year was fishing in 9 feet of water about 30 yards from shore was sight fishing watching my jig, watching a hammer handle checking out my jig, i lifted it away from him because I did not have my needle nose with me, he took off like a bat out of hell a few seconds later.  A few seconds later a giant green freight train sailed passed my hole and tiny tug on my line and it was a clean break...gone.  That was at least a 30 incher!  my panfish set up didn't stand a chance.  Now I set a tip up in the area when i'm jigging for pans.

Offline Quantumn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 30, 2012, 01:20 PM »
I know for a fact that this lake has some monster pike in it. Last year I saw one break the surface right next to my boat and his back was at least 10" wide, and the year before I was trolling with a daredevil 1 ounce redeye, 50 lb test braid line with a 90lb fluorocarbon leader and one strike was all it took to snap the line. I had 5 seconds to react and a year and a half to cry, so we know they are in there.

Offline pizzi22

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Dec 30, 2012, 07:48 PM »
Caught a few pike again today. Was going to night fish for a bit but of course propane ran out and for got my light... Lol biggest pike today was about 27 inches... I did meet a fellow ice shanty member today, looking forward to more fishing adventures.... I know most people don't want to give out there sweet spots or good lakes but I will definitely share all the knowledge and good spots I find during my adventures... It is nice to see other people successful as well... Keep on fishing and keep on dripping snot...

(Grumpy Old Men)

Offline MOPARDOCTOR

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Addicted to the ice
« Reply #18 on: Dec 30, 2012, 10:56 PM »
Yeah...two years ago was trolling with a spinner bait, something slammed my spinner hard, set the hook and was reeling him in, when he got close
to the boat, he turned and dove, what I seen was about 30 inches of yellow belly at least 6 to 8 inches wide.  That was all my line could take, gone.
He ate that lure passed the 12" steel leader and snapped my 18# test like it was nothing.  I have yet to catch a pike longer than 30" and I am looking forward to surpassing my goal this winter!  I'm sure you'll see me out there very soon!

Offline pizzi22

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Dec 31, 2012, 09:50 AM »
I am determined to catch a thirty incher or above from that lake... One day when I least expect it it will happen...

(Grumpy Old Men)

Offline big bobber

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Dec 31, 2012, 04:05 PM »
BIG BAIT!BIG FISH!last nite i put the biggest and only shiner...he was gone in 10 min...got at leat a legal pike to the hole and snapped my mono...they are ther...use the biggest bait you can!

Offline pizzi22

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Jan 01, 2013, 12:35 AM »
Okay I will use the tip... Thanks.... Will get some suckers to try...

(Grumpy Old Men)

Offline 5loaves2fish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Jan 01, 2013, 09:19 AM »
if you guys are lookin to put some bigger pike on the ice, then you have to rig up for them...tipups: i would recommend using some type of wire leader, at least 8 inches long, with either a large treble or some type of spoon, (i like pimples) with a GOOD sized sucker.  i have caught sub legal pike on suckers that were 8 inches long.  if you're jigging, then you COULD get away without the leader, but if you're targeting pike then i would just say stick with wire leaders on everything.   my family has been fishing for BIG pike as long as i can remember, and i can say that we have always used wire leaders, and it has never deterred from catching fish.  dead smelt suspended and rigged horizontally, or fished right on the bottom can work, but most days the productive setup is the live sucker.  and as mentioned: BIG BAIT BIG FISH!!  at one point we pulled a 22 inch whitefish out of a 35 inch northern... and i've seen northern hit another pike of equal size as they came to the boat.   
Banjo

Offline big bobber

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Jan 01, 2013, 11:07 AM »
exactly banjo...im putting leaders on all my tip ups...lost that nice fish at east bass the other evening due to using the wrong set up.oh well...thats fishin...and fishin is fun.

Offline 5loaves2fish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Jan 01, 2013, 12:55 PM »
yeah just noticed that you had a leader ::)...thats right ...sometimes theres nothing you can do like you said.   :-\    i think im gonna wander out and look for some big pike waters on little bay de noc this winter...see if i can find some 20 plus pound pigs.
Banjo

Offline pizzi22

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Jan 01, 2013, 01:52 PM »
Yea I got wire leaders on everything... When I was living in Hancock I would use smelt for bait and just get swamped with 30-45 inch pike and some a bit bigger.. But here smelt are hard to come by and most of these lakes in Gwinn area are very silty and maybe even stunted lakes...  I will switch to big suckers... Thanks for all the tips

(Grumpy Old Men)

Offline BiG ARN

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Jan 01, 2013, 02:17 PM »
Jacks IGA in harvey has some whole frozen herring in the meat dept.  There anywhere from 6" to probably almost a foot long....looks like some really good pike bait!  They had several packs yesterday still....figured id give a heads up

Offline pizzi22

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Jan 01, 2013, 10:51 PM »
Hey that's a great idea...  I never thought of that... Thanks for the info... I will definitely check out the grocery store action... Lol

(Grumpy Old Men)

Offline MOPARDOCTOR

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Addicted to the ice
« Reply #28 on: Jan 04, 2013, 05:58 AM »
I'll see you out there.  They are out there.  Just found out that East Bass and Big Shag are removing size limits on Pike in both of those lakes, new rule takes effect March 31st.

Offline big bobber

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Jan 04, 2013, 06:10 AM »
they should remove the limits on all the inland lakes and get rid of some of those fish killin bait stealers!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.