The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: Long Time No Talk  (Read 566 times)

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
Long Time No Talk
« on: Mar 01, 2024, 06:53 PM »
How goes it Iceshantians! I hope everyone is doing well and getting out this season. Ive lost my drive for ice fishing. Either from being spoiled by the Quabbin or my hate of the cold. Likely a combo of the two lol.

I had a question for the guys who fish Champlain. I know a few here fish there often and figured this would be my best bet for advise.

The family is taking a week long trip up that way this summer. I plan to get out a couple times on a charter. My question is, when is the best time to be up there to ensure we get into some fish? Im thinking salmon would be the target. And if anyone has any charter suggestions, please let me know.
Official Member of The G.I.T.s, Gods In Training 1/2014
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad.

Offline BASSQUATCH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gone Fishing 🎣
Re: Long Time No Talk
« Reply #1 on: Mar 02, 2024, 02:38 AM »
Hello Will, nice to hear from you.
Lost your love for ice fishing? I hope you do come back to walking on water some day.  Even if it's just on the warmer days. Too bad we can't ice fish quabin .
Take care , Keith.

Offline suckerbait

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Mar 02, 2024, 08:55 AM »
I haven’t stepped on ice in two years myself with the warmer then average winters we have had the last two years. Way too many open water opportunities to want to spend time on the ice. Going to get a lot of different opinions on best time for salmon on Champlain, but for me I would pick dog days of August. Thermocline is set up and that concentrates the salmon and they are usually feeding heavily on perch fry. I used to fish it a lot and haven’t in past three years. Around Memorial Day - first week of June there would constantly be some pretty heavy hatch going on. On calm mornings we could catch salmon on top with fly rods casting nymphs to rises. I will say that was some of the most enjoyable fishing we had up there.

Offline BASSQUATCH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gone Fishing 🎣
« Reply #3 on: Mar 02, 2024, 05:42 PM »
I haven’t stepped on ice in two years myself with the warmer then average winters we have had the last two years. Way too many open water opportunities to want to spend time on the ice. Going to get a lot of different opinions on best time for salmon on Champlain, but for me I would pick dog days of August. Thermocline is set up and that concentrates the salmon and they are usually feeding heavily on perch fry. I used to fish it a lot and haven’t in past three years. Around Memorial Day - first week of June there would constantly be some pretty heavy hatch going on. On calm mornings we could catch salmon on top with fly rods casting nymphs to rises. I will say that was some of the most enjoyable fishing we had up there.
I know it's been a couple warm winters but there's been ample ice both years from north central mass to the Berkshire's.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Mar 03, 2024, 04:21 AM »
Ill be there a lot this summer jigging lakers.  The salmon fishing is really good now. 

Im actually heading to champlain in about an hour to jig lakers in the boat. 

Offline SHaRPS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #5 on: Mar 04, 2024, 06:50 PM »
Ill be there a lot this summer jigging lakers.  The salmon fishing is really good now. 

Im actually heading to champlain in about an hour to jig lakers in the boat.

You SOB lol
Go get em!
Just add water.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.