Author Topic: Found the walleyes but..  (Read 3883 times)

Offline Boomer.

• IceShanty Rookie
Found the walleyes but..
« on: Jan 14, 2019, 08:35 PM »
They would not take!  The only bite I got was on a non glow plain hook and minnow.  Has anyone else experienced this? If so, what's a good tip to get them to bite?
Fishing in the Slabbin’ cabin!

Offline my-marty

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Found the walleyes but..
« Reply #1 on: Jan 14, 2019, 08:42 PM »
I am still new to ice fishing walleye as well. My best luck has come with jigging rod and a dead stick with slip bobber side by side. My personal experience has been my jigging rod with a lure that has a lot of flash and/or rattle will bring the fish in but most times they will take the live minnow on the dead stick with either a tear drop jig or a colored gamatszu hook. The jigging lures seem to do better early morning and evening when the eyes are feeding more aggressively. Tip ups and dead stick do better midday. Hope this helps, tight lines.

Offline WalleyeBird

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 14, 2019, 09:16 PM »
What he said ^.

They can be finicky and often times a colored gamakatsu single hook is my go to. Flash and noise will pull them but you’ve just gotta let the bait do the work sometimes.

Offline eyeflyer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 14, 2019, 10:08 PM »
They would not take!  The only bite I got was on a non glow plain hook and minnow.  Has anyone else experienced this? If so, what's a good tip to get them to bite?

I think probably everyone has experienced the no/slow bite. No guarantee but often slow down, downsize or even leave the bait right on the bottom with a slight slow jig every 5 minutes or so will do it. Or go aggressive with chubby darter, rattle spoons, jigging rap.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.