Author Topic: Blackstrap 2017-2018  (Read 51727 times)

Offline Churchill River

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Blackstrap 2017-2018
« Reply #60 on: Dec 07, 2017, 03:16 PM »
We have to consider a few things regarding the Strap
1)  It isn't as large as LML and others
2)  Only 1/2 hour from Saskatoon and area, very accessible
3)  It probably receives heavier fishing pressure then most lakes
4)  In talking to the C.O.'s, the strap hasn't been stocked in a long time

We do fish the strap a lot and I can't remember a day that we got skunked.  We will have slow days, like the start to this winter.  We always
target Perch and always seem to catch 2 to 3 (somedays more), Walleye per day.  But I can see for people that target Pike or Walleye only, they might end up getting skunked now and then. 

Rip fishes the Strap probably more then most of us and he has a good knowledge of the lake, and I don't think he gets skunked to often.  I can understand if a person only fishes 2 hours in the morning or 2 hours in the evening, two or three times
 a month, they might get skunked.  That would be like going into a bar for only 2 hours and not come out with the opposite sex on your arm.  But if you put a full day in the bar (or lake), your changes are much better of not getting skunked.  But, we are married so we go to the lake for the day vs the bar.  Hence, never get skunked.

Don't give up.......a poor day of fishing is still better then the best day at work.....or maybe the bar

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #61 on: Dec 07, 2017, 04:56 PM »
 a day in the bar just lowers your standards so you're happy no matter the outcome.  if you only have a couple hours you gotta make it count,  just like on the ice!

anyway, back in my "educational" years living in stink town i always caught really good pike at blackstrap out from the pumphouse about 85 paces.  also did well walking out just before the park for pike.  don't remember getting skunked very often, but times sure do change.  also caught a ton of pike in the summer and fall with a quickstrike and smelt under a bobber at that same spot by the park, all the while sitting in a lawn chair listening to the rider game.  good memories.

Offline Churchill River

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #62 on: Dec 07, 2017, 05:00 PM »
You can remember when the Riders used to win :) :)

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #63 on: Dec 07, 2017, 05:11 PM »
 sure wasn't those years.  good thing the fishing was great!

Offline bigk

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #64 on: Dec 07, 2017, 07:12 PM »
Don't fish it a bunch but in my experience you need to be mobile. Don't sit and wait for them unless you have spots that always produce that I am sure rip and C.R do. i work with a few of the lake locals and if you put your time in there are no shortage of walleye pike or perch.

Offline BlueDevil

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #65 on: Dec 07, 2017, 08:07 PM »
Drill lots of holes and be prepared to be on the move. 
//.\\//.\\ark

Offline Churchill River

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #66 on: Dec 07, 2017, 09:28 PM »
Since people are talking about moving around, I thought I would mention what has worked for us in the past and this year.  We always drill say 15 to 20 holes in a 30 to 40 yard circle.  We usually don't spend more then 5 minutes in each hole, then move on.  It seems we will catch one or two as soon as we get to a new hole and then nothing......or we will hit a honey hole and catch up to a dozen in that same hole in no time.  If we make the circuit a couple times with not much success we will move another 150 yards or so and try again, or we will move to another part of the lake.  We have 2 to 4 spots we know were to fish...it's no secret as we see lot's of you in the areas. 

But to sit in one or two holes isn't our style......thus we never fish in our shack....just warm up and have very very  good shore lunches in it.
We will move our shack to the area were the bite is on usually.  Last year I think we left it in one spot and if we weren't fishing around it, would just drive back to it at noon for the shore lunch.

Remember they call it fishing...........not catching

Offline thomdawg

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #67 on: Dec 08, 2017, 11:20 AM »
Looking to take some newbies out there. Only have a manual auger in town. Any decent places to start? What have they been biting on? Any other lakes close to the city that would be worth the drive?

Offline shawno

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Team Saskatchewan
« Reply #68 on: Dec 08, 2017, 12:31 PM »
Welcome to the site thomdawg!

Blackstrap can be very fickle.  I would start on the North End.  It usually produces the best in the winter.  If you are having little or no success there, I would move down to Evan's road on the south half of the lake.  This is a good time of the year for a manual auger as there isn't too much ice yet.  Personally, I wouldn't drive on just yet in a big 4x4 truck as the ice is only around 12inches thick ( last time I was out ), but if you have a van or small car, you should be okay.  Just make sure to check the ice.  Put down a few holes in that 15-20FOW range and see how things play out.  If your not catching, try downsizing your bait and slow down your presentation.

Good luck...let us know how you make out!

shawno

Offline jigapoolza

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #69 on: Dec 08, 2017, 12:41 PM »
Broderick resevior isn't to far from Saskatoon. You might have a better chance of catching some fish there than the strap.

Offline jiffy22

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #70 on: Dec 08, 2017, 01:01 PM »
Looking to take some newbies out there. Only have a manual auger in town. Any decent places to start? What have they been biting on? Any other lakes close to the city that would be worth the drive?

You could try the reservoirs SE of the city.  Zelma between allan and young.  Or a little farther east is Dellwood. 

Offline saskbucks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #71 on: Dec 08, 2017, 05:00 PM »
just kind of depressing to think of where to go this weekend, after buffalo pound last weekend, catching 100+ perch, i know that blackstrap will never produce even close to that. My best day ever in countless outing to blackstrap has been a 30-40 perch haul, and those come so few and far between. don't want to make the long drive back down to BP, LML, etc....sigh.

Driving the extra mikes is worth it!
Get outside.  It does a body and mind good!

Offline Churchill River

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #72 on: Dec 09, 2017, 06:22 PM »
Nothing much for the weekend report :)

Fished a little over 4 hours today, as we waisted most of the day hauling two shacks on, etc.

One nice 5 to 6 lb Walleye that went back, one smaller keeper Walleye and some nice Jumbo Perch.  Still slow though.

gman51

« Reply #73 on: Dec 10, 2017, 06:13 PM »
Pretty slow day today.got out early am south of Thode west side of the lake had a bunch of marks show up in the 5 hours fished. bounced around in a few areas on the sled ended the day with 1 walleye and 1 perch. Definitely very moody fish lately.

Offline OverUnder725

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #74 on: Dec 10, 2017, 09:27 PM »
I went out and did some exploring on the lake this afternoon.  Drove on at the North end and punched a few holes, nothing.  Went back by the bay, nothing.  Found the access by the bay to drive off / on and climbed up off the lake and made my way around to the boat launches at the park.  Again, drilled a few holes around, nothing.  Went back on at the bay and drove back to the North end and tried once more and saw half a dozen checking out my lure but just floated off. 

gman51

« Reply #75 on: Dec 13, 2017, 07:53 AM »
was out yesterday for a few hours in the evening. seems to be the best bite window at this lake for me anyway. all be it very short. unless your targeting midday perch. much of the same lots of uncertainty on the walleyes behaviour. but did put a couple top side. downsizing will improve your odds. gotta keep moving, 1- 2 min at each hole. i try not to let them examine it to long. sometimes ill pull it away from them depending on their initial reactions reel up 7-10' let it flutter back down often will trigger the bite. but again its just been an off year so far on the aggressive bite. you can catch them just gotta work harder for them.

Offline Churchill River

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #76 on: Dec 13, 2017, 09:27 AM »
Just want to confirm what Rip said in his last post.  Very off year so far.  We seem to be catching our share, and not getting skunked, but it should be better then what it is so far.  Looks like we are going to have to wait until Jan for the bite to pick up.

We do move from hole to hole a lot as mentioned before, and they hit in spurts.  Rip has the right idea about moving the lure up and then letting it go down.....eventually you will piss that Walleye off and he will hit.  And sometimes when you go to a new hole you will get lucky and they will hit within 30 seconds, as that is how I caught the 5 lber last time out.  Barley got the line down and set up off the bottom and he hit. 

Probably not getting out this week until Friday or Saturday.....who said once you retire you can go fishing everyday.....always something coming up to keep a man off the lake.

Good luck guys.

Offline Twistedhook

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #77 on: Dec 13, 2017, 11:31 AM »
I heard today that the back end of a truck went through the ice near the north bay in the last couple of days,can anyone confirm that this is fact?

Offline OverUnder725

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #78 on: Dec 13, 2017, 11:54 AM »
I can not confirm that but I did have my drivers side rear wheel drop through about 10' from shore at the boat launch as I was going up on Sunday afternoon.

Offline Churchill River

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #79 on: Dec 13, 2017, 12:49 PM »
Twisted, what are you calling the North Bay????  The far North end were we get on by the gravel pits?

Offline Twistedhook

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #80 on: Dec 13, 2017, 04:28 PM »
Churchill.....I wish I knew the answer. A guy at the Fishing Hole made mention of it and he referred to it as the north bay. Could very well be the gravel pit.

gman51

« Reply #81 on: Dec 13, 2017, 05:33 PM »
There’s only 2 bays on the north end. North meaning north of the causeway. I don’t recall seeing any traffic driving off or on or near where the smaller bay is ever. So it must be the lake approach at blackrock or big bay. ?

Offline OverUnder725

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #82 on: Dec 13, 2017, 06:19 PM »
So, how does the warm weather as of late affect the ice?  Does surface melting and freezing weaken the entire ice structure?

Offline Churchill River

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #83 on: Dec 13, 2017, 06:42 PM »
Rip, you are right about no access to the little bay.  So the guy in the Hole must of been talking about the far North end (although it isn't a bay per say), or he is talking about the back bay at Blackrock, as you mentioned.  Is it still called Blackrock or is it Lakview now?  Or just the golf venture called Lakeview and the housing called Blackrock?

Offline Diggs

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #84 on: Dec 14, 2017, 01:24 AM »
The back end of the truck broke thru at the rock pile at the mouth of the big bay across from Sheilds where the new cabins or houses have been going up.  I believe this is called Blackrock.  This happened on Tuesday afternoon.  This is Second vehicle I have seen break thru the past 3 years in that exact spot.  They won’t sink down as the rocks come up to about 2 feet from the surface.  Use caution in that area.
Good Luck & Good Fishin’!

gman51

« Reply #85 on: Dec 14, 2017, 07:07 AM »
thanks Diggs great info and pic. i know people have been driving on in a few places on the lake for at least a week or so now. and it was probably safe to do so at that time in some areas. but now when people are seeing older vehicle tracks on the ice that have been there for a week or so. they assume or think its safe.  but with these warm temps over the last little while the major pressure cracks in the ice become weak.especially in that area that i have seen.  pics like that or reading about it are surfacing up more and more on other lakes also. not hard to stop this from happening at all its called having patience.  ;)

gman51

« Reply #86 on: Dec 14, 2017, 08:35 AM »
Rip, you are right about no access to the little bay.  So the guy in the Hole must of been talking about the far North end (although it isn't a bay per say), or he is talking about the back bay at Blackrock, as you mentioned.  Is it still called Blackrock or is it Lakview now?  Or just the golf venture called Lakeview and the housing called Blackrock?
before it was called anything and before there was any development anywhere people including myself referred the 2 bays as...  big bay and small bay thats it. but now who knows. i guess im dating myself..lol

Offline OverUnder725

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #87 on: Dec 14, 2017, 09:01 PM »
Was out in the North end today from 10:30 - 5:30.  Set up the camera and saw a few until noon then nothing until 3-3:30 then was seeing a 6 - 8 Perch cycling through every 15 mins or so.  Ended up with 6, all went back to do a little more growing.  Saw a few Walleye and Pike as well.  Had a Walleye slam my hook on the run then spit it out before I even knew what was happening!  There was lots of interest in the lure from the Perch but they just sat and stared mostly so I went to a smaller lure but didn't seem to matter.  Some would would swim up and bump the bait but not bite, or so it seemed.  Any nibbles I got that didn't result in a fish were very light, like they knew exactly what was going on and were just trying to steel the maggots!

I am glad I bought a camera this year, I learned more about fish today than ever.  I found the Perch didn't like a quick jigging action today but were more interested in a slower, deliberate 1'-2' rise and fall of the lure.  This seemed to gain more interest but not trigger more strikes.  I also learned stopping the lure above them opposed to in front of them also seemed to get more of their attention and they would swim up to meet the falling lure.  I thought this may entice them but no luck.

A few guys were driving on but we decided to walk out from the road, lots of newly formed cracks in the ice and some standing water a few feet out from the ice heaves at the shoreline near the culvert.

Offline Churchill River

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #88 on: Dec 15, 2017, 09:41 AM »
Thanks Overunder for the detailed report on your day yesterday.

So now you have a flasher and a camera........once you master them the fish won't have a chance.  Before my camera gave up the ghost a few years ago, it was nice to see how the fish reacted to the presentation of the lure.  Like you said, it is nice to see if fast jigging or slow movement would make them hit.  Some days the fast jigging would actually scare them off, as you could see them dart away.  Other days they would slam fast jigging.

There are people reporting that they are seeing fish on their flashers/cameras.  We are just going to have to wait for the bite to pick up.

We are going out tomorrow....not sure were we are going to start, maybe Safeway so we don't get skunked.

Offline Churchill River

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #89 on: Dec 16, 2017, 05:38 PM »
Well we started at Evans road at 9:30 this morning.  Within the first 1/2 hour caught a 13 inch Perch and a 17 inch Walleye.  Then 40 minutes later caught a 12 inch Perch, then nothing after that.  Stayed there until 2, tired the boat launch area for 45 minutes.....nothing... then drove to the back bay and drove on and tired a couple spots there for 45 minutes....nothing.... .then drove to North end and tried it there for hour.......nothing.

It seems to be getting worse instead of better.  Maybe this cold spell coming up will smarten them up.  Still thinking Jan is going to be better (hard to get worse).

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.