Author Topic: Problems with two people jigging inside shanty?  (Read 4276 times)

Offline Walleye_Slayer

• IceShanty Rookie
Problems with two people jigging inside shanty?
« on: Jan 03, 2014, 07:58 PM »
I have noticed that when I'm in my fish house with a buddy and both of us are jigging we always seem to come up empty handed on walleyes.. I've caught perch and whitefish with two people jigging.. But it seems to me it either confuses walleyes or it turns them off having two jigs going 4 feet away from each other.. I fish one place that is really crowded in a pool right below a dam and there's usually 20 people in a 100 square foot area and I've got limits with someone standing 10 feet away... Same place about 2 weeks ago I put the house out and a buddy and I fished two hours with no biters.. Just a lot of lookers. I moved outside of the house and maybe 50 feet away and I had a five fish limit in 20 minutes.
Any thoughts?

Offline RNsurfnturf

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Problems with two people jigging inside shanty?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 03, 2014, 08:27 PM »
That is an interesting observation. I would like to hear if anyone has insight on this !

Sometimes you have to fish when you can,
not when you want, but guess what?

You're still fishing!!!

Offline appleye

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 03, 2014, 08:29 PM »
Are you both doing the same thing? I would have one rod with a jig and minnow or on a bobber and try and bring them in jigging then see if the neutral rod gets bit. If you both doing the same thing change it up and one use a rap and the other a spoon. I don't fish in a house much but do on a couple time a year when it gets real cold. I guess if one person's rod is moving the other is sitting still to see how the fish reacts.
In the memory of "Team Lighting" Fish ON!
No one ever says,"Man that fish tastes small.
Thank you Lord for thinkin bout me. I'm alive and doin fine!!!!!!

Offline Murph20

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 22, 2014, 10:36 PM »
Are you both doing the same thing? I would have one rod with a jig and minnow or on a bobber and try and bring them in jigging then see if the neutral rod gets bit. If you both doing the same thing change it up and one use a rap and the other a spoon. I don't fish in a house much but do on a couple time a year when it gets real cold. I guess if one person's rod is moving the other is sitting still to see how the fish reacts.

This happens to me every time I jig with another person..I now jig and my buddy will dead stick with a minnow. 9 times out of 10 the eye s will hit the minnow.

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Jan 23, 2014, 06:09 PM »
How deep of water are you in? On one of my favorite walleye lakes the depth is only 10 feet. I ran into the same thing you are finding. All I could come up with was two in the house was double the noise and commotion. At night anytime the generator was running the walleyes were no where to be found.

The other thing for me is the further away from people the better.

WS

Offline maddogg

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 23, 2014, 06:33 PM »
My buddies would laugh at me when I would set a tipup 7 feet from my jiggling hole.
They weren't laughing when I had 3 walleyes on the ice all off that  tipup.

Offline Walleye_Slayer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 23, 2014, 06:59 PM »
Having a tipup or deadstick next to a jigging lure is one thing..the jigging draws the fish in And they might hit the minnow.. But having two jigging raps that swim in large arcs going 4 feet from eachother just seems to turn off the fish.. Haven't scientifically proved it but so far I've never caught one with two guys jigging inside a house and neither has anyone I fished with

Offline robgeerts

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 26, 2014, 02:00 PM »
you had the answer to your own question right in your hand.  should have moved your shack to where you caught your five fish and seen what happened.  while not guaranteed to happen every time or every place you fish.  may have been pressure, maybe something structurally where you moved to that was holding more aggressive fish.  small moves can make huge differences sometimes.  I once had two holes about three foot apart in my shack caught fish in one hole nothing in other.  I couldn't for the life of me figure out why.

Offline Walleye_Slayer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 26, 2014, 02:09 PM »
you had the answer to your own question right in your hand.  should have moved your shack to where you caught your five fish and seen what happened.  while not guaranteed to happen every time or every place you fish.  may have been pressure, maybe something structurally where you moved to that was holding more aggressive fish.  small moves can make huge differences sometimes.  I once had two holes about three foot apart in my shack caught fish in one hole nothing in other.  I couldn't for the life of me figure out why.

Under normal circumstances I would somewhat agree. Remember my buddy was fishing in the shack when I moved.. The other part of the equation is we were fishing below a dam with 20 people in a small area.. Most of the time there is someone within 10 feet of you. As long as your in the current line that's the only thing that concentrates fish. Which my shack was In. Not the first time that's happened down there.. In fact I don't think I've ever caught eyes with 2 people jigging in a small shack

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 26, 2014, 02:13 PM »
We jig 2 in a shack all the time and also have 2 deadsticks down, normaly we both catch fish

Offline Elrik

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 26, 2014, 10:14 PM »
We had three rods jigging in a 76" shack today, so the lines were pretty close. Pulled up two walleye while all rods were active, and had a number of occasions where we would get hits one after the other in such a way that i think it was the same fish jumping from one to the other. Think it is safe to say that other factors like the heavy pressure you mention are at play.

Offline tuiflies

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Feb 03, 2014, 10:11 PM »
We jig 2 in a shack all the time and also have 2 deadsticks down, normaly we both catch fish

X2

Was out Friday with a buddy and we both did great less than 6' apart.  A 36" pike, a 24" whitefish and 8 walleye 17-23" within 2 hours starting at noon.

Offline The_Big_Cat_Canada

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Mar 04, 2014, 10:50 AM »
The scenario you described happens quite often when I fish with my two sons. Three of us jigging really slows down the walleye action (brings on the pike)and when I'm out by myself the success rate is quite different. When I fish alone one live minnow on a jig is left alone and not jigged and I work my jigging rod quite aggressively in a jigging pattern. With no marks on screen I will drop to the bottom and stir up some sand with a couple of big rips 3 feet up followed by some smaller rips of 1-2 feet then I settle into light jigging, just rocking the rattle bait, or buckshot. Fish will respond and investigate and when I'm marking I'm barely moving. When a fish is hot I will slowly raise the bait and try to get a follower to come up with the hook and if they drop down usually they will go over and hit the deadstick. I've had some 15-20 fish days in Jan. and when all 3 of us are in the shack and trying to jig in the same sequence its tough pulling off our limit. As well as the fact that we have more anglers around us and weekends slow down the bite compared to the Fridays when I head out there and have the whole area to myself. These eyes become hook shy and are very finicky, whoever said fish have a 6 second memory was wrong. We have clear water conditions so we are able to sight fish in ten FOW so we have received quite an education this year. Camera is high on my priority list for next year.

Offline adipose

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • WHAT OTHERS THINK OF ME IS NONE OF MY BUSINESS
« Reply #13 on: Mar 04, 2014, 01:27 PM »
i thought it was 8 seconds big cat....lol. Clear water can mean tough bite. We fish a big lk. that is so clear you can your lure see 40ft down....this is when i think 2 or 4lb floro works magic.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.